+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New devastate and optimal weapon speed

New devastate and optimal weapon speed

Hello,

I've been wondering a bit about the change to Devastate that makes it do 80% of weapon damage instead of 50%.

My first thought was: "okay, will this make slow tanking weapons viable?"... So I did some math.

The combined damage output from devastate and heroic strike, assuming a full stack of sunders on the target:

tdmg(wdps,wspd) = (0.80*wdps*wspd + 505)/devtime + wdps + (hsspam/100)*495/wspd

where wdps is the tooltip weapon dps (i.e. including stuff like haste, strength and various modifiers), wspd being your swing time, devtime being the average delay between devastates, and hsspam being the percent of your swing being heroic strikes.

I'm assuming a devtime=3, i.e. every other GCD to be a devastate.

505 is the bonus devastate damage from a full stack of sunders and 495 is damage from heroic strike per swing.

This is all at level 80 using max. rank abilities. I'll ignore the +crit effect from Incite and Sword and Board since it's the same for both devastates and heroic strikes.

In other words, the function above expresses tdmg (the total damage) with wspd and wdps as the variables. I like making plots, so here's a few:

On the above plot, all swings are heroic strikes, i.e. we're in an unlimited rage situation. If we are using an 1.6-speed tanking weapon it's very obvious that even the slowest one-handers will yield less total dps. The faster the weapon, the more dps. The green graph is assuming a tooltip dps of 350, which is quite a lot I think, even in WOTLK. What is evident is that the more tooltip dps (strength) you have, the more benefit you get from a slower tanking weapon. But still, you need an ungodly amount of strength before the usual slow one-hander becomes favorable (2.5-2.8 speed).

Next plot:

Now we're assuming that we actually only are able of using heroic strike on half our swings. For a typical fight, this is more realistic than endless rage in my opinion. Now at 250 tooltip dps, a 2.6-speed weapon do more dps than a 1.6-speed weapon.

250 tooltip dps ain't that far fetched. Tier-7 epic weapons do like 140-150 dps in themselves, so we just need 1400 AP (buffed) to reach 250, without factoring in various modifiers. Is that unrealistic for a Tier-7 geared warrior tank? I don't think so.

Warrior threat stats will scale a lot. We'll get more and more strength as we advance in the tiers. And the more strength (and higher dps weapons) we get, the larger our tooltip dps becomes.

In WOTLK end-game, maybe we'll be tanking with slow one-handers?

What's your thoughts about this?

Have I forgotten something important?

Do anyone know the actual bonus threat of max rank devastates and heroic strikes in WOTLK?

From a quick glance it appears that you did the same thing I did in an earlier thread. AP normalizes for Dev; the 250DPS you come up with as the break point would have to be entirely on the weapon and not include any AP. I'm not sure thats possible in WotLK

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndolin View Post
    From a quick glance it appears that you did the same thing I did in an earlier thread. AP normalizes for Dev; the 250DPS you come up with as the break point would have to be entirely on the weapon and not include any AP. I'm not sure thats possible in WotLK
    Ah okay, thanks, and sorry for not noticing your thread.

I wasn't aware there was any normalization at play on devastate.

+ Reply to Thread