+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: WOTLK Tanking Gear List

8. Flame-Bathed Steel Girdle (2186p) L80 Epic
    Source: The Nexus 5-man (Heroic)

Seems to be in the hands section and not in the waist section.

Something else, I didn't see Pauldrons of Abyssal Fury in the shoulder section. Maybe they don't make the cut though. here is the wowhead link for the updated stats:
    Pauldrons of Abyssal Fury - Item - World of Warcraft
    Last edited by Rayzer; 09-10-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Would you mind putting in the Guardian's Alchemist Stone?

Thanks for picking up this incredibly helpful project. I'd like to consider myself statistically significant in Berg having hit 1mil+ hits on his gear ranking list. I'm sure I'll end up using your reference just as much! ^_^
    http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Vek039nilash/130018.jpg
    At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

Quite the undertaking especially when new items (and old it seems) are still in flux. Good work so far. Thanks.

First of all thank you.

Second I'm glad to see that the work I put into my character is not being tossed out the window by level 72(unlike BC). It's looking like if you are around T6 level your good to start raiding and upgrading at 80.

Third I didn't see the Supremus(Pauldrons of abyssal fury) shoulders in the list.

This is an excellent thread. It will speed up our future tanking route. Thanks
    Maybe you can add Brooch of the Immortal King - Item - World of Warcraft and Dabiri's Enigma - Item - World of Warcraft, which doesn't has stamina but tons defence that we may need to get crit immune as soon as we just get 80

I know you'll have your hands full for a while, but it would be wonderful if (after itemization changes) you could add in the better T4/ZA/T5 pieces, so we can get a quantitative feel for importance of specific upgrades. I know most of the pre T6 stuff will have to go before 80, but it's nice to be able to plan these things out, especially so I can start farming mats for crafteds as soon as Wrath ships.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Is it possible to get some more insight in the math behind this ?

I am trying to recreate the values used for each stat but can't seem to get them right.

What I am doing is using the values for the enchants (single stat boost) to calculate the value of the boostet stat. Then I can use an item with just one single extra stat to calculate the value of that stat and so on. But I seem to get different values for the same stat using different pieces of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaru View Post
    Is it possible to get some more insight in the math behind this ?

I am trying to recreate the values used for each stat but can't seem to get them right.

What I am doing is using the values for the enchants (single stat boost) to calculate the value of the boostet stat. Then I can use an item with just one single extra stat to calculate the value of that stat and so on. But I seem to get different values for the same stat using different pieces of equipment.
    It's non-linear so you can't do it like that. (Like block value is worth more together with block rating, etc).

In the end it could just as well have been linear though, since I'm using the "base line stats" as a working point. The main benefit from doing it like I do it is that I can change any value anywhere without having to worry about recalculating weights for the different stats. Also, I use the same code for evaluating actual (total) gear stats I get from the armory, where it's not possible to get an accurate result with a totally linear model.

Adding a section about the math is on my in-brain todo list :P

Ok. I figured it was something like that.

It is just that at my level of progression as a bank (T4/Badge) the list you have set up is a bit too high for me atm and I wanted to use the math to see what I should focus on getting now before WotLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Anaru View Post
    Ok. I figured it was something like that.

It is just that at my level of progression as a bank (T4/Badge) the list you have set up is a bit too high for me atm and I wanted to use the math to see what I should focus on getting now before WotLK.
    I think I'll add most tanking gear down to T4... And when WOTLK has been live for some time I'll weed out the TBC gear and only leave the very best.

Quote Originally Posted by demog View Post
    I think I'll add most tanking gear down to T4... And when WOTLK has been live for some time I'll weed out the TBC gear and only leave the very best.
    That would be really awsome, making a good list even better for us lower tiered tanks

With the reitemization of paladin gear into str instead of intellect and spell dmg, can you include the 2.3/2.4 gear for paladins in this list. I think you might find some surprises. I would include the t4/t5/t6 but I have to remember I am a pally and warriors cant wear those.

Thanks Demog, that really helped my personal itemization plan for Wrath upgrades. You rock!

Would you mind adding Ring of Sundered Souls (Ring of Sundered Souls - Item - World of Warcraft) to the list? I didn't see it on there and am curious where your algorithm ranks it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    Would you mind adding Ring of Sundered Souls (Ring of Sundered Souls - Item - World of Warcraft) to the list? I didn't see it on there and am curious where your algorithm ranks it.
    Hmm, added it. Interestingly it scores better than the Hyjal reputation ring... But I guess that if you factor in the +armor proc on it, it will be different. I don't know the average uptime of it, but I feel it's up very often.

Regarding the paladin gear: Well, I recon that some of it might be better for damage reduction after the patch, but I try to not get the lists too long. The idea of TBC items on them is that people can see how their current gear is compared to the stuff the stumble upon in WOTLK... And to be honest I don't think that many warriors will run around in paladin gear.

Also, I kinda have the feeling that the reitemized paladin gear is more threat orriented than the corresponding warrior gear anyway.

I, myself, am more than happy to wear Paladin gear, if the defensive stats are better than what I'm currently wearing. This happened at least once in BC with the Paladin badge chest that was released and many many warriors purchased because it had better defensive stats for a warrior than T4/Kara chests.

I had been scouring Wowhead building up my own personal list, although I partially abandoned that list when I stumbled onto this thread (thanks btw!). But, I do think its worth at least going through new WOTLK paladin/DK gear to see if anything still looks amazing once intellect and/or spellpower are removed from the item.

I'll post any interesting pieces I find here.

Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    But, I do think its worth at least going through new WOTLK paladin/DK gear to see if anything still looks amazing once intellect and/or spellpower are removed from the item.
    There's no such thing as new paladin/DK tanking gear in WOTLK, since all the plate-wearing tanking classes will be wearing the same armor - except for the class specific tier-gear ofcourse.

I kinda see the patch 2.4 badge tanking gear as "the lowest common denominator" since everybody can get it easily. People who bought patch 2.3 paladin tanking chest 10 months ago have probably upgraded it at least with the new badge one now :P (they wouldn't buy it in the first place if they weren't the badge-farming types)

I really don't think there's many warriors who are running around in paladin gear at the moment.

Thanks for this guide, I'm sure it's going to be very useful.

I'm really started to get excited about all those upgrades coming on

Cheers,
    Sneaky

+ Reply to Thread