+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: WOTLK Tanking Gear List

tanks, don't use this guide to decide what is best

This guide seems to not take hit rating into play whatso ever.I understand that at the beggining it states that the listing is based on tank survival rating while not being healed but what use is that? Since when do tanks fight bosses while not being healed and not having to hold threat? Thats like ranking healing gear based on only how high it will make ur heals, and not taking mana regen into play. Most high end tanking gear has alot of hit and expertise on it, although expertise can be considered for mitigation it is also a threat generater like hit, If u choose all the top ranked stuff in this list you will most likely have near to none hit rating at all due to the bias of the lists and in turn, will get yelled at by your guild leaders when u can't hold single target aggro 0_o

this list is still a good list to get an idea of what is the best survival driven gear and as a good place to just see tanking gear listed, the rankings itself can be discussed sure, but the sheer list itself is a useful resource.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

There's also a 22 stam enchant for boots and a 40 stam chant for bracers now

more Ulduar loot soon?

I am getting close to uncrittable - the last few items should help - gonna look for spiked deathdealers and indestructable plate girdle... hoping that will give me the missing level... but very useful guide - cans ee once I get in to HC and then 10-man raid how my gear progression should begin to develop

Quote Originally Posted by Stovan View Post
    I am getting close to uncrittable - the last few items should help - gonna look for spiked deathdealers and indestructable plate girdle... hoping that will give me the missing level... but very useful guide - cans ee once I get in to HC and then 10-man raid how my gear progression should begin to develop
    and now having tanked HC UK, UP and Nexus I see my gear is coming together.... ok so the icebane may not be the best set for tanking but it has me ok so far - not sure if it is worth upgrading with AH stuff or to continue running HC for better drops.....

Quote Originally Posted by joshrocker1 View Post
    This guide seems to not take hit rating into play whatso ever.I understand that at the beggining it states that the listing is based on tank survival rating while not being healed but what use is that? Since when do tanks fight bosses while not being healed and not having to hold threat? Thats like ranking healing gear based on only how high it will make ur heals, and not taking mana regen into play. Most high end tanking gear has alot of hit and expertise on it, although expertise can be considered for mitigation it is also a threat generater like hit, If u choose all the top ranked stuff in this list you will most likely have near to none hit rating at all due to the bias of the lists and in turn, will get yelled at by your guild leaders when u can't hold single target aggro 0_o
    For progression this list is still really good where for almost every fight in Ulduar Threat shouldn't be much an issue (Vezax being the most notable exception, but you still shouldn't sacrifice survivability in that fight right now either)...you do need a different list when evaluating threat pieces but this list is very good for pure survivability, and I do hope it's updated soon.

Demog,

Nice work on this awesome list, I've found it a very useful tool for myself and other tanks in our guild.

Would like to point out some items that I cannot seem to find in your list though (both Ulduar ofc). May have been pointed out by someone else but I'll give them nonetheless:

Furnace Stone - Item - World of Warcraft
    Flamewatch Armguards - Item - World of Warcraft

If not doen already, might be worthwhile entering them

Cheers,
    Bel*.

Thanks

Thank you for this it has helped me ever since I have started playing a Tank to see where I need to go and what gear to look for.

If I may ask can you please try and update it with the items from ulduar I know you know more that I do.

I just got some new shoulders and came to the list like I always do and it wasn't on there. Now I'm lost... just joking.

I got the Shoulderguards of the Solemn Watch. It looks better than the T7.5 but I'm wondering....

Thanks....
    Tjoeffie
    Karazhan Server

Great guide mate!!!

Can we expect an update???
    I received the "Shoulderguards of Solemn Watch" From Ulduar It look great but need to know where it fits.

Is there any way I can have the formula for the "points" so that I can evaluate some items myself?

Is Demog ever going to update this with all the rest of the Ulduar loot that's missing?
    He hasn't logged into Tankspot in over 2 months, but his character's armory page shows him active as of today, may 17.

demog compiled this list as a total volunteer task when our prior TBC poster went awol. Keeping up with a list of this size takes an enormous amount of time (I picked it up for a while after Murdog first dropped it in pre-BC). Any updates demog is willing to do is something we are all grateful for, and I'm sure all of us would appreciate an update, but if he doesn't, we shouldn't be stalking his armory profile and potentially getting "angry" at him for it. He plays this game for the same reasons we do.

If anyone else would like to take up this thread and post the updated list and change the formatting and etc etc, feel free to and I'll sticky it unless demog comes back and says he has updates.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Update Demog's List

I would be willing to help update the list if I could somehow get the "script" or formula that Demog used to assign points to the items. Without that, there is really no way to "update" this list since all items are ranked based on Demog's equation.

Demog's Equation?

Does anybody have a copy of Demog's equation for assigning points to items in his gear list?

I really loved his list and I'm disappointed he no longer has the time and or desire to update it. I would like to take a shot continuing the list myself, but I need the custom "script/formula" he used to assign points to the items.

Anyone have any ideas on how I might obtain it?

Doesn't look like anyone's mentioned the axe from the Argent Tournament for the Champion Seals - I don't know if it's the most amazing survivability weapon but it is potentially achieveable for a Lv 80. Can't remember what the Alliance one's called but it should have the same stats as the Axe of the Sen'jin Protector (sorry, haven't worked out how to link items yet ^^

I would be happy to update the list but like others have said, this would require having access to the rating formula.

I guess the current options (asside from being provided formula) are:
    • Reverse Engineer the ratings formula
    • Start with a brand new rating scale (Item order/ranking may change)
    • Use an existing rating scale like maxdps or lootrank
    Tankspot Comunity, what say you?

Go for it Kerplah there can't be too many loot lists

what about the Argent Tornament Rewards?

this weap is quite nice and u make about 200g doign the dailys too

Teldrassil Protector - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

Here is a first stab. Rankings used were streight from Loot-Rank using the standard Prot Warrior Template. The order of the items stayed essentially the same using their formulas.

I will need moderator type to either update the top post or I can just keep plugging away and create a new thread when I get a few sections finished.

Backs
    Getting your paws on a Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions is one of the reasons why it's good to rush your Wyrmrest Accord reputation to revered as fast as possible. It's very easy obtainable and will last you until you grind enough 25-man badges to get a Platinum Mesh Cloak. Personally I'm not going to waste gold on the BOE crafted one, especially since it lacks Defense which are pretty hard to get enough of already.

1. Titanskin Cloak (20644)
    Source: Freya (Ulduar Heroic-Hard)

2. Cloak of the Makers (17709)
    Source: Auriaya (Ulduar Heroic)

3. Cloak of the Shadowed Sun (16582)
    Source: Multiple Bosses (Naxxramas Heroic)

4. Saronite Animus Cloak (16274)
    Source: General Vezax (Ulduar)

5. Platinum Mesh Cloak (15891)
    Source: Badge Reward (Emblem of Valor)

6. Gale-Proof Cloak (15593)
    Source: Obsidian Sanctum 10-man (Hard 1 drake)

7. Cloak of the Iron Council (14630)
    Source: Iron Council (Ulduar)

8. Shadow of the Ghoul (14406)
    Source: Trash Mobs (Naxxramas Heroic)

9. Drape of Icy Intent (13628)
    Source: Hodir (Ulduar Heroic Hard Mode)

10. Durable Nerubhide Cape (13325)
    Source: BOE Crafted

11. Cloak of Armed Strife (12176)
    Source: Naxxramas 10-man

12. Tattered Castle Drape (11908)
    Source: World Drop (BOE)

13. Cloak of the Enemy (11368)
    Source: Heroic Nexus

14. Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions (11262)
    Source: Faction Reward (The Wyrmrest Accord - Honored)

Cloak Enchants
    As it looks now, the Defense Rating and the Armor enchants are pretty equal. What you chose depends on whether you're into maximizing your effective health or your avoidance. The +16 Agility enchant is a nice alternative in case you want to add some threat too.

Major Agility (1430)
    +22 Agility

Mighty Armor (1350)
    +225 Armor

Titanweave (1280)
    +16 Defense Rating

+ Reply to Thread