+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking

Tanking

I am starting to gear up for Kara on my paladin and I am getting help from several of the other 70's in the guild. A good number of them have progressed into Sunwell in the past (which doesn't really mean much). We have a good guild relationship and they like to give me a hard time for my spec and use of Ret Aura.

I have looked at the specs on Tankspot and have looked at several other specs on different forums. I chose the 0/49/12 spec. Few questions...???

1. Some sites say to move down the holy tree after doing one's prot talents. Your thoughts?

2. Is the 3% reduction worth the points in Pursuit of Justice?

3. The guildies stated that I really shouldn't have to use Ret Aura...their past paladin tank didn't. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Haelix View Post
    I am starting to gear up for Kara on my paladin and I am getting help from several of the other 70's in the guild. A good number of them have progressed into Sunwell in the past (which doesn't really mean much). We have a good guild relationship and they like to give me a hard time for my spec and use of Ret Aura.

I have looked at the specs on Tankspot and have looked at several other specs on different forums. I chose the 0/49/12 spec. Few questions...???

1. Some sites say to move down the holy tree after doing one's prot talents. Your thoughts?

2. Is the 3% reduction worth the points in Pursuit of Justice?

3. The guildies stated that I really shouldn't have to use Ret Aura...their past paladin tank didn't. What are your thoughts?
    1. If you are going for a serious MT style build, then don't go into holy. 0/49/12, 0/51/11, 0/46/15, etc style builds are more appropriate.

2. In my opinion, it is gravy. I don't think it is "worth it" to go after it specifically, but it can't hurt if you have the spare points. I personally think there are better places to put your 3 points, but it is always up for debate.

3. If you are AoE tanking or if you are already at or above gear level, feel free to use Ret aura. If you are tanking something that hits hard enough, use Devotion Aura. It varies. No aura is good for all situations.

1. Those sites are wrong. Only in very specific situations (ie: you are going to switch between healer and offtank very regularly throughout the course of the night) should you put anything into Holy as a Paladin tank. Generally speaking you'll do something like 0/49/12 or 0/51/10 (getting Deflection and Benediction out of the Ret tree).

2. No. To clarify: it's not 3% reduction in spell damage, it's 3% chance to resist. Many "tank killer" spells are not resistable, and even then, chance to resist isn't reliable enough to spend points on. If you want extra run speed, give up the 3 stam and put Boar's Speed on your boots.

3. Entirely situational. If you don't need the extra damage reduction from Devotion aura, you should absolutely use Ret aura for the extra threat. A good rule of thumb is Ret aura for trash, Devo for the boss.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

+ Reply to Thread