+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally guildmate needs some help.

Pally guildmate needs some help.

Hey all. I've been a reader here for a few months now, and I've learned alot about tanking from all these articles and members. Unfortunately, I'm a warrior and know nothing of paladin tanking.

We have a paladin for our off-tank while running Karazhan. She is well geared for Kara, far beyond my tank, but for some reason, she's not generating very good threat. Sometimes she'll do ok, putting up around 600 TPS, but alot of the time she hits very low marks around 200 TPS.

We recently moved Kara into a Farm Status, trying to do full clears on Friday nights. Most of our DPS is capable of pressing 850+ DPS, and my warlock and our boomkin can hit 1000 with ease. We've all been downgrading our DPS alot so that Omen won't yell at us.

Could I have someone take a look at her gear and her gemming and enchant choices for me and see if there's anything we could change there? The World of Warcraft Armory

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

A few points I think I've noticed (due to help from our Pally Officer) is she's probably not casting Holy Shield enough, and her block% is rather low. She seems to be stacking Dodge alot as well, which as far as I understand won't generate her any threat? And I think she needs more Spell Damage, which is key in Pally threat?

Oops.. I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum... Should be in the Armory forum. So very sorry for my n00bish mistake. Can someone please move when they get a chance?

A paladin needs spell damage to generate threat, unlike a warrior who generates threat from melee damage. And the first place to start is the weapon slot. Kings Defender is useless for a paladin. Now that S2 is out the Merciless Gladiators Gavel would be a very big upgrade, if they dont like to pvp another choice would be the Cudgel of Consecration from H Mgt. At the minimum they should go get the Continuum Blade from the Keepers of Time until they get S2 or CoC.

Get their spell damage up to about 300-400 with a dose of wizard oil and the dps will be able to unload right off the bat. Especially in Kara where undead are plentiful and exorcism is always on CD.

The weapon slot accounts for most of the spell damage needed. Other than that the T4 shoulders and helm would be another upgrade that will boost spell damage, and also provide the set bonus to add 10% damage to righteousness judgments equating to more threat.

These are basic to tankadins, have your friend research the class alittle more and they should do just fine.

Tyg

Also sounds like she might be forgetting to put up Righteous Fury. Either that or she's got serious problems with her threat rotation (for a Paladin that's pretty much just "keep everything on cooldown"). Kara Paladins should be putting out over 200 damage per second, if her threats that low then she's probably doing something very wrong.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Yea Lore good point. Have your friend check out the Tankadin Guide in the library section. Seems they may need a refresher course.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I'll look into the WWS reports from the other night and see how often she casts Holy Shield and Right Fury. Be back in a few minutes with a few stats.

Wow.. Ok, just looked at the webstats and it looks... grim. From what I've gathered in a 5 hour run in Kara, she gained Holy Shield only 33 times, and she gained Righteous Fury only 7 times.

Both of those are really key threat generating abilities for the Pally, correct? She should definately be hitting Holy Shield more than 33 times in 5 hours? Should she be spamming that like a warrior spams Shield block? And Righteous fury should always be put up while tanking, if I am reading the ability correctly. Which I'm pretty sure it was up most of the time.. 3.5 hours if all 7 times she had it lasted the full duration.

Oh and she put out 165 DPS for the whole raid, so I'd say she's not too far off with that. I was thinking about having her put 40 Spell damage on Kings, instead of her Agility Enchant she has on now? Would that be a good move?
    Last edited by Vonmars; 08-25-2008 at 08:23 AM.

She really needs to get another weapon. KD just doesn't offer her much of anything as a tankadin.

K k... She can easily get the Continuum Blade, as she is already Revered with KoT, so I'll get her to get that. Would you suggest +40 Spell Damage on that, or Mongoose or Executioner? Pretty sure I see most pallies with +40 Spell Damage though. That alone would put her at 350 Spell damage.

+40 spell damage definitely.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

i'm not saying i'm exactly well geared but have successfully tanked kara fully and za up to dragonhawk so far. pally tanks will need to have a minimum of 400 spell dmg to be able to generate sufficient threat. just checked ur guildies armory, cant tell what weapon she normally uses for tanking since shes swapped out 1h weapon + shield for 2H atm. the other thing is, she looks like shes geared up like how a warrior would. with pally tanks, they have to be a little more picky about the gear they have. if u want, can check my profile as a rough guide: Azzad on Dragonblight. (sorry cant figure out how to link properly yet)

+ Reply to Thread