+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protection dps gear set and rotation?

Protection dps gear set and rotation?

Please forgive me if this has been posted some where as I have not found it. However, the other day I was speaking to one of my fellow tanks and the subject came up about what should a protection warriors dps set look like stat wise? We were wondering for those fights that you only need one tank and one of us would be tanking it and the other would have to put on his dps gear and do his best to not suck.

Since both of us are full on protection and have always been this way we were unsure of what the best way to gear up a dps set would be for our given spec. I know that fury warriors like a semi slow MH weapon of 2.4+ with an offhand that is a bit faster and arms warriors like the big slow weapons of 3+. So not having the talents that they have to put out the dps we assumed we would mostly be in zerker stance spaming devastate, HS, and WW while keeping up our selected debuffs. I am not sure if this is the correct dps rotation for a prot warrior when not tanking.

So I guess my questions are what kind of stats should a prot warrior look to achieve in his dps set for raids? What are the best enchants, gems, and rotations for him to use?

I thank you for any advice, links, or whatever you can offer.
    http://www.tankspot.com/signatures/u...sade/image.jpg
    The true test of strength is to keep fighting when there is no promise of victory or reward at battles end.

Dual wield definitely, 2handers you can't devastate with and that's gonna be your bread and butter attack.

Pick up a slower/high top end damage main hand with good dps stats. Then grab whatever is your next best dps weapon on your OH. Slow preferred but if it's a 2.6 speed 87 dps versus a 1.7 speed 95 dps, use the 95 dps, it's gonna pay off in the end. You just basically stay in zerker, spam devastate and heroic strike and WW. There isn't really a rotation, it's just spam the shit out of your no-cd buttons while keeping WW on cd.

Prot warriors though will gain the biggest benefit from STR due to Vitality giving it an additional 10% boost. You want to try to get 142 hit to prevent specials from missing, but it's not as important as just pumping up your str to enormous amounts. Without flurry, crit isn't as important either, it's good for bigger numbers but in the long run it's gonna come down to how hard each of your hits land, and for that, STR is your best friend.

Check out crimson's thread:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/damag...-prot-dps.html

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Your target stats are obviously going to depend on what level content you're seeing. We've just started downing Archi and are 5/9 BT and my DPS set is 2000 AP unbuffed, 140 hit, and 30% crit. I've been just below 1000 DPS in a few fights with that gear doing exactly what Kaz said (WW/Dev/HS), but that usually requires me somehow getting a BL or some other good group buffs. I'm generally good for 800 DPS though. I'm 300-400 behind our druid OTs when they go kitty, but I've done eveything I can to help as much as possible.

Yes, that means toting around another set of armor, and scrolls, DPS food, weight/sharp stones (if your DPS weapon is a diff type), etc.

Yeh, the last time I prot dps'd something it was on Magtheridon wearing all season 3 gear, with Breeching Comet and Spite blade OH, Brooch of Deftness, Leather wrists off Rage, Red Belt of Battle, and leather boots off Kael with S3 ring and ring of 1k marks and bmasters trinket (80 ap) and unravellers. I put out over 900 dps with just a ret pally and 2 rogues and a fury warrior.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Yeap, basically what these folks have said. No one's mentioned WF though. Obviously DPSing as Prot you're going to have a harder time getting a shammy in your group, but if you can beg/steal/borrow one it'll increase your DPS tremendously (and if you have a shammy, remember to not use a sharpening/weight stone as it'll override WF)

Curious, I had to respec prot to fill a slot last night, then threw my fury gear back on for the boss. I am a badge fist warrior, and I think I remember reading somewhere that claws and devastate don't mix Would it be better for me to get a couple swords or axes for prot dps, or do I just suck at prot dps?

The badge fists aren't bad at all for devastate. Not ideal with a 2.5 speed, but the associated DPS stats are pretty solid, as is the overall DPS. You're only getting ~20% of your DPS from devastate anyway, so white damage is still fairly important.

They're on par with most BT / Hyjal weapons. You've got to go to S4 or Sunwell weapons to be significant upgrades.

Maybe it was just cuz Najentus is a hard fight to measure dps, but I am usually a 1100-1200 dps fury warrior, and last night I was rocking 600 or so prot specced

I noticed a serious bump in DPS with a little haste added. I pilfered the belt off Kazrogal and the shoulders out of heroic MrT and same my Dev spam DPS hop up there significantly.

WWS Loading...

Granted, the DPS in this raid is fail and also granted, Aran is a wuss and takes alot of damage.

Besides the Kaz belt, I'm mostly in T4 is gear with Decap MH/Fool's Bane OH. About 1900 unbuffed AP.

+ Reply to Thread