+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Armor value underrated?

Armor value underrated?

I'm having an "argument" with a warrior friend of mine, basiclly about armor, how the armor on rings, and extra armor from say a cloak or a shield gives more value generally then other stats (to a degree, my point is mostly say 200 armor vs 5 dodge, not 2 amor vs 5 dodge), i'd go for the armor, he would go for the dodge. I feel it increases the overall mitigation more then the dodge. He doesn't believe me saying its better to avoid an attack then have your armor absorb it. Who is right or wrong?

one piece of gear that was hotly debated was the badge cloak vs pepe's. Now i concede that pepe's might be better as there is hit and more threat, from a strictly mitigation standpoint mine was that the badge cloak will overall increase your mitigation more.

who is right or wrong? and am i overvalueing armor?

Armor is mitigation, dodge is avoidance, so you are correct in that armor increases mitigation more than dodge. This debate comes down to EH vs avoidance (as usual), and the correct amount of EH and avoidance depends greatly on the fight, so there is no definite answer.

Slikk's is strictly better for both mitigation AND avoidance, there is no argument on this point, because the dodge and defense rating on Slikk's combine to give more avoidance than Pepe's. Pepe's is strictly a threat cloak.

One additional thing to note is that Pepe's DOES have more stamina than Slikk's, but the armor on Slikk's outweighs the stamina for effective health, barring fights with almost pure magic damage.

Neither is better, it depends on how you use it to construct your overall tanking gear setup. You don't wear Slikk or pepe alone, you wear tons of other gear with a variety of stats on them too. I hope you or your friend aren't always tanking in the same piece of gear for every boss.

200 armor is better then 5 dodge even for an avoidance set. At least for my gear. I value 200 armor at ~ 11 stamina.

Download my spreadsheet, it will solve this problem for you.

Armor is a unique snowflake when it comes to tanking stats: it is unequivocably better than equivalent amounts of everything else in all situations aside from the few where physical damage is not an issue.

Why? It increases your effective health at the same time it increases your health efficiency. From the healer perspective each of your health points becomes worth more as you increase armor, wheras stamina only increases your effective health (not trying to downplay EH, but it's true), and avoidance increases your efficiency and shield block uptime. It is the best of the effective health camp combined with the best of the avoidance camp, and as such does not have a lot of itemization aside from the base amount per piece.

TL;DR: +Armor can be replaced, but it's innately very valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic View Post
    Armor is a unique snowflake when it comes to tanking stats: it is unequivocably better than equivalent amounts of everything else in all situations aside from the few where physical damage is not an issue.

Why? It increases your effective health at the same time it increases your health efficiency. From the healer perspective each of your health points becomes worth more as you increase armor, wheras stamina only increases your effective health (not trying to downplay EH, but it's true), and avoidance increases your efficiency and shield block uptime. It is the best of the effective health camp combined with the best of the avoidance camp, and as such does not have a lot of itemization aside from the base amount per piece.

TL;DR: +Armor can be replaced, but it's innately very valuable.
    Stamina saves you from dying before the heal goes off. Avoidance and mitigation save you from dying because of a lack of mana, in addition to saving you from dying before the heal goes off. This does not prove that armor (mitigation) is better than dodge (avoidance + a bit of mitigation from sb charges).

To the OP: I think he suffers from the same problem a lot of non spreadsheeting tanks suffer from: He takes armor for granted. It's not in green text most of the time, he doesn't think it's anything special, it always comes with the gear, its correlated with the ilevel so most of the time he doesn't have to worry about it, etc., etc. He's used to thinking about defense, dodge, stamina. He needs to realize armor is a big freakin deal.

15 armor is definitely better than 1 dodge.

15 armor is worth about 1 stamina worth of effective health (maybe up to 18, it depends on current stam and armor levels) and will prevent about as much damage on average as .5 dodge rating.

+ Reply to Thread