+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Main Tank Rage issues in Kara

Main Tank Rage issues in Kara

Our guilds MT and raid leader is starting to have rage issues in Kara. We aren't sure if it is do to him being over geared or something outside of his control. Our other warrior tanks have no rage issues even if a rogue stun locks it. Here is his armory link. Please if there is anything you guys see that could be done to improve something please let us know.

He switched around some gear to add +hit so here is the updated armory

The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by Auggiedoggy; 08-12-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Gear switched out

He's not overgeared for kara at all. His problem is most likely spamming heroic strike or something to that effect, although a priest could be power word shielding him every time possible which could cause rage starvation. In gear much better than that I still have the rage to pull off shield slam-revenge-double devastate rotations.
    King of Cheese, Pope of Lemons, Warlord of Pancakes, Sultan of Omelletes, Czar of Zuchini, Kaiser of Pretzels, Archduke of Apples, Duke of Pimento-loaf, Prime-Minister of Meats, Count of Tomato, The Regent of Danish, Chieftan of Chutney, and Lord of the Dance.

With that low a hit rating he is possibly missing a ton of attacks, which is less rage he is generating for himself. Also tell him to take 3 points out of deep wounds and put it into shield mastery, it will not only help him mitigate more damage, but will also increase his block value which will help his shield slams hit harder. Also a mob with deep wounds ticking on it cannot be cc'd, so he is making it harder on himself and his party.

If your rogues are stunlocking a target that's being tanked (aside from interrupting horrible casts) then find new rogues. Totally off topic I know but we've (in the past) had many 'discussions' with rogues about stunning a tanked target and gimping rage generation, and how much this slows down our raids.

We'd have to know what kind of rotation he's using and is this on trash or on bosses??
    Raid Leader, GM and Meat Shield. Shadow, Firetree Horde
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://shadowscourge.guildportal.com

Post a WWS from Kara and we can offer more specific suggestions.

Albeit that, where is he having rage problems? Trash or bosses or both? If bosses, at start or minute+ into the fight? What are the steps he performs when he pulls? Does he use bloodrage AND berserker rage if he is having rage problems?

I use a macro thay uses shield slam and heroic stricke for a 1 hit lots of tps, then I spam devastates, revenge and TC's along with the macro agan and again. Most of the time it is on trash but the other night I had to spam Bloodrage during a few boss fights.

I would recommend removing heroic strike from your shield slam macro. That is one of the reasons you are raged starved. Heroic strike replaces you normal swing depriving you of rage. Ideally, you will use it when you have sufficient rage (around 50) but not lower than that so you have enough rage to perform your standard ability rotation (shield slam, revenge, devastate, devastate). I activate heroic strike independent of other abilities as rage permits.

When pulling, I'd recommend the following to maximize initial rage gain:

1. Berserker stance
    2. Berserker rage
    3. Defensive stance
    4. Pull
    5. Bloodrage

Bloodrage will give you a little threat on all of the mobs if you pop it after the pull. Berserker rage will increase the rage you gain from damage you take. Coupled together, you will likely have half to a full rage bar to use after a hit or two.

On trash, I'd probably do no more than one thunderclap to help gain more initial agro on all of the mobs unless you. Generally, I generally don't thunderclap on trash unless I have to try to gain agro and maintain agro on more than 5. I prefer to tab target devastate/cleave spam.

You can sneak in berserker rages during boss fights if you are ahead on the threat meter and aren't too low on health. This is your old stance dance fear ward macro.

Is there a macro for that just trying to make it easier

warriors are not a 1macro friendly kinda class. Sorry! ;]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

If you're tanking kara you should have fear break macro anyway, first push changes to bers stance, second pops bers rage, third goes back to defensive. Then it's just pull and bloodrage.

As said above, an HS tied in with SS is going to seriously gimp your rage. HS is pathetic threat in comparison to your other abilities and should only be used when you have massive amounts of threat to burn. If you have a lot of rage at the start then go ahead with a shield slam but make sure you get 5 sunders up asap and once they're up use revenge and SS whenever they're up.
    Raid Leader, GM and Meat Shield. Shadow, Firetree Horde
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://shadowscourge.guildportal.com

Quote Originally Posted by jlafleur View Post
    When pulling, I'd recommend the following to maximize initial rage gain:

1. Berserker stance
    2. Berserker rage
    3. Defensive stance
    4. Pull
    5. Bloodrage
    That's an awesome idea ... I've never thought to do that. Pullstyle Improvement incoming
    Many people have enough to live by but nothing to live for - they have the means but no meaning <<<>>> Tenraiel - Warrior||Kross - Priest||Anethea - Hunter

Are you targeting the mobs with a right click instead of a left click?

As in, are you even in auto-attack mode when the mobs are incoming? Also ditch that shield slam macro with HS. If you want to make a HS macro, the best ability to use it with would be revenge since its such low rage. Having said that you should be able to use your HS at the right time independently of your other abilities.

Download itemrack, and start to build a threat set. This will be low avoidance, high block value, high expertise, high hit, and even high AP if you have room for it.

I cant stand tanks who have 1 set for everything. I know it will stir people up, but I really think its downright laziness and even noobish to use the same set for everything. Pick up any good items which will improve your threat, even blue ones at this stage. and if you actually use some def enchants/ gems on your core pieces you might be able to swap them in without losing your crit immune.
    Last edited by Foolishness; 08-14-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Good point Foolishness. I had problems before with losing auto-attack after tabbing and such. So now I have macro:ed /startattack to my devastate.

Heroic strike + Shield slam macro is the glaring problem here.

I have never needed to macro those two together. One's on a 1.6s cooldown, one's on a 6 second cooldown. Why would you have a problem hitting them both independently with two different fingers? One *needs* to be used every six seconds. One *cannot* be used except in extra rage situations. Significant drawbacks.

My buttons:

2: Heroic strike/Devastate macro
    3: Devastate
    4: Shield block
    5: Revenge
    6: Shield slam

I only spam the macro when I have more than 50 rage or so, and when I know I'm gaining rage faster than I'm spending it. To be honest, I don't use it much except on boss fights. On trash I just cleave/TC the rage away.

Quote Originally Posted by jlafleur View Post

1. Berserker stance
    2. Berserker rage
    3. Defensive stance
    4. Pull
    5. Bloodrage
    I see many tanks gun pull when they don't have to. In fact, gun pulling is a requirement on a minority of fights.
    I personally
    1. Berserker stance
    2. Berserker rage
    3. Charge
    4. Defensive stance
    5. Bloodrage/(depends cc)TC, demo cleave, whatever. (bloodrage uses no global cooldown)

You get the extra rage on charge (depends on whether or not you have Tactical mastery as well), and you make more efficient time of your zerker rage. The main problem is avoiding CC targets but with practice it becomes easier.
    Also, not sure why you zerker rage before gun pulling, I always do it after.
    Warrior
    Priest
    Rest can go fuck themselves.

+ Reply to Thread