+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T6 (4 Set) or Expertise?

T6 (4 Set) or Expertise?

So my guild is currently 5/5MH and 7/9BT. We are setting our sights on council and will have them down shortly but i have come across a dilemma for myself. Right now i have 3 pieces of T6 (helm, shoulders, gloves). I also have teron gorefiend's gloves which have block value, expertise, and more stamina then the T6 gloves. If i combine my badge gear (belt, bracers, pants), the SSO neck, the gloves, and a shard of contempt i can get the parry cap.

This is obviously a nice thing to be able to do and is excellent for threat generation and parry mitigation. The problem i have is that i have become very reliant on this expertise because i have had it for a long time. The T6 pieces i have are all new and while the helm and shoulders are absolute upgrades, the rest of the pieces are sidegrade/mitigation sets.

So im asking for some opinions on what people think. i WILL be getting the T6 pieces eventually, the only dilemma is do i pass to other raiders for now (who arent at the same gear level) or do i go with the usual ideology of gear the tank first? If i go ahead and take the T6 pants when they drop then i can make my 4set bonus which is 10% shield slam damage increase. This would however mean that i have to give up my badge legs and my gorefiend gloves for usual tanking making a loss of 44 expertise rating (basically a shard of contempt) as well as block value AND stamina. I lose 3 of my core stats for a 4set bonus and mitigation percentages (parry, dodge, shield block rating).

I obviously carry many different sets of tanking gear on me which implies that i of course want the T6 but the question is do i want the T6 4set bonus over the massive expertise in my current gear? At what point is the T6 bonus not as good as max expertise? Should i pass on the legs initially and go for the chest off illidan first (whenever we get to killing him)?

This has been an issue floating around in my head for days now and there are so many if/then/when/but scenarios that i am just lost in all of it. Do i let the raiders gear first because im good enough or do i focus on getting my T6 out of the way and lose alot of my expertise for general tanking?

I'm nowhere near that level of progression myself, but to me it sounds like a question about if you need the extra 10% SS damage for threat or not, and if you (and your healer) can handle the less EH and possible more parry haste from mobs.

I'm not quite sure if the extra 10% SS damage will make up for the loss of BV and a massive 44 expertise - that is up to warrior at or past your progression to answer. A link to your armory and current gear would be very helpful.

The World of Warcraft Armory

didnt wanna throw that up right away cause i wasnt in the right gear setup. it is now updated for my max EH setup (except for my trinket which is wrong but just pretend a pocket watch is there).

I am a bit less far in the progression (Azgalor and Akama down) but with T6 gloves dropping and the first attempts on Gorefiend ever I have been forced to think about this.

Note: I am likely to be wrong but this seems to be the most likely.
    So you are talking about 10% SS damage versus x amount of expertise. 10% SS da
    mage is the same as having 10% more block value, compare that against the block value and expertise you would lose by equipping it. I would use something like ETP to then value the remains knowing that at your amount of expertise it is as good as hit rating.

Just put in a balance what does more threat +10% SS dmg or your expertise rating. I guess you will soon end up w 4/8 anyway so is just a matter if you want to wait or not. Check if your current threat is optimal for the last bosses in BT and how bad/good are the rest equipped so you can pass it to them.
    SWP requires more threat in some fights so 4/8 is like key there imo.

Offtopic: with the new talent +% SS and the 4/8 bonus the set will be even better in WOTLK.

Thanks for your input guys, daimon your point about the wotlk is very true so making sure i have a 4 set by then is definately a good thing to do lol.

I have decided that i am going to pass on the legs from IC if they should drop quickly because the badge ones are just SO much better. Whenever we get around to killing illidan ill pick up the first chest piece that drops and have my 4 set bonus available to me with that. whenever i manage to pick up a helm of impenetrable darkness is when ill grab up the T6 Legs to continue to give me the set bonus until we kill something in sunwell.

Thanks again for your feedback.

i would recommend you go for the 4pc bonus right away. you should get helm, chest, pants, shoulders and use the teron gloves instead of the t6 gloves. i did this until i got the helm off illidan, which i am usin. when i get bracers out of sunwell ill go back to using teron gloves over t6

The only fight I have ever used T6 gloves on is Brutallus, for everything else I find Teron's gloves to be superior due to expertise. 4 piece is nice but definetely not required, I didn't get mine till we killed Kalecgos and lost it again when Brut dropped legs. Think of it like this, would you rather have your 4 piece or have less attacks parried? After all a 10% stronger SS doesnt mean anything if the boss parries it.

I might just be wrong, but I've never ever seen a SS get parried?

It can be parried. I can't count the amount of times my opening SS has been parried by Kalecgos. Fortunately baby Jesus has blessed us with Misdirect.

Expertise. I use Teron gloves, Face plate, and Sun Guard legs almost constantly, which puts me at 3 piece T6, and I'm confident threat is higher and more consistent.

+ Reply to Thread