+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shield Mastery and Critical Block

Shield Mastery and Critical Block

I was checking out the new warrior talents for WotLK. Two that I've been thinking a lot obout are shield mastery and the new critical block. Now it seems to me (and my math could be off here) that in the long run they both mitigate the same amount of damage point for point. (ie - With shield mastery if you block 10% more damage for every block, after 10 hits you will have blocked 100% more damage. With critical block if you block double the amount 10% of the time then after 10 hits you on average will have blocked 100% more damage.)

Now obviously I don't think anyone has come to any conclusion on what they're lvl 80 talent build will for sure look like, but let's just say that you can only choose one of the two talents. Which one would you go for?

Normally I would say go for the sure thing. Shield mastery is a guarenteed 10% extra mitigation every block. However, shield block itself isn't a for sure thing (like armor and stam are). So is that 10% going to help out the healers? Well sure, everything helps, but it is certainly nothing much.

My current thought is to go with critical block. Let's say you block normally 500 damage. If you go with mastery then you'll block 550. That 50 everytime is simply not enough to make any difference to the healers. And if it was enough to save your life that means your below 50 HP right now and you're already in trouble. Critical block however gives you that chance to block 1000 damage instead. If you would have been killed without it you're gonna be low but maybe still high enough for the healers to react if they were caught napping.

Alright well this was my first post so I don't wanna ramble on too long. Go easy on me if you think I'm way off with this.

You go with Shield Mastery because it increases the damage of Shield Slam as well by 30%.

Interesting thought. I'd say that looking them from an Avoidance/EH perspective helps. Critical Blocks have a chance to occur, and when that chance fires you take less damage, similar to dodge/parry. Shield Mastery is passive and is always applied, similar to how EH works.

For fights that you'd wear your avoidance set, then Critical Block is better.

For fights that you'd wear your EH set, then Shield Mastery is better.

HOWEVER, all of that said, critical block doesn't affect your shield block value like shield mastery does; rather, whenever you block, it rolls a die and decides how much is mitigated (whereas shield mastery increases your block value by 10%). For threat, shield mastery is far superior (assuming sbv is still important in wotlk).

My verdict: Shield Mastery, unless I don't care about my threat; then, I use Shield Mastery if I'm speccing for EH content, and Critical Block if I'm speccing for Avoidance content.

Go with both. Duh.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

Something I am curious about for warriors. I know for paladins, our shield spec doesn't apply to the BV from strength, and only multiplies actual "block value" from your shield and stats like "increases your shield's block value by X" by the 1.3 multiplier.

In current tanking gear, there is little to no difference between the two methods as we have such little strength that the difference is on the order of 1-2 BV. With the WotLK coming and strength being 2:1 block value instead of 20:1, along with more strength on gear, our current incarnation of shield spec isn't looking as hot. They may fix it in a later build on beta though.

Anyways, I was wondering if it worked the same way for warriors. Does yall's version of the paladin shield spec, called Shield Mastery, multiply all of your block value by 1.3, or just the portions not including strength (like ours)?

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Anyways, I was wondering if it worked the same way for warriors. Does yall's version of the paladin shield spec, called Shield Mastery, multiply all of your block value by 1.3, or just the portions not including strength (like ours)?
    Just like yours. Shield Mastery does not (currently) buff block value gained from strength. In WotLK, though, since it seems most of our shield block value will come from strength, this had better change or Shield Mastery will be a terrible talent.

I didn't even think to test Shield Mastery earlier this morning, but I was scrutinizing Shield Block pretty closely - the 100% increase in block value only applies to the BV on your shield. In other words, fully geared up, I was only going from around 480 BV to 650, not the anticipated 900+.

Wait... so on the Beta... Critical Block only up'd your shield's block value? NOT the total block value of your gear? I'd submit that as a PTR bug and see what they say, cuz that is horseshit for such a deep tiered talent. Complete horse shit.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

He's talking about the new shield block, which increases the amount blocked by 100%. Can we get some testing on whether or not Critical Blocks double your full block value or just the block value of your shield?

I didn't even think about it until I made my last post: can someone confirm whether or not Shield Mastery now effects block value gained from strength?

If it doesn't, that definitely needs to be fixed.

Thanks for the input. Because of the wording of the Shield Mastery talent it wasn't clicking with me that your shield block value is being increased (although I suppose it's pretty obvious.) I completely agree that the added damage/threat you'll get from it makes it the better choice.

That being said I'll still stick around and wait for some testing to come out of the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Wait... so on the Beta... Critical Block only up'd your shield's block value? NOT the total block value of your gear? I'd submit that as a PTR bug and see what they say, cuz that is horseshit for such a deep tiered talent. Complete horse shit.
    Was wondering about that as well, but the few times that I've actually noticed myself blocking, I've absorbed the entire hit, and it's usually when I'm running around doing a new quest or some such thing, so I haven't parsed the combat log to see if it was a critical block or how much damage was blocked... It would have to be something that hits pretty hard to get through my block value at that, so I'm not sure how easily this could be tested, but I'll keep my eye out for it.

@Prunetracy: I'll check Shield Mastery right now and get back to you. Okay, it seems +BV is being added to Shield Block and Shield Mastery, but block value derived from strength is being ignored. I'll see if I can figure out what critical block is doing.
    Last edited by Archfiend; 08-01-2008 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archfiend View Post
    @Prunetracy: I'll check Shield Mastery right now and get back to you. Okay, it seems +BV is being added to Shield Block and Shield Mastery, but block value derived from strength is being ignored. I'll see if I can figure out what critical block is doing.
    Thanks for checking that out. Please submit that as a bug. If block value is getting removed from gear in favor of strength, that talent needs to affect BV from strength. It may even be a bug on live, but no one cares because the conversion factor is so low and there's very little strength on our gear anyway.

+ Reply to Thread