+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping agro with the pros

Keeping agro with the pros

I stpped tanking for a month after school ended. then I came back. I joined a guild a few of my friends were in and realized something kinda disturbing.

Before I left. I had been tanking alot. You know how it goes... Level 70 rolls around, alotta tanks I knew had quit in favor of PvP DPS specs (which is what I had done for a month). Before I stopped, I thought I had been pretty damn good at holding agro. My TPS was always on top, and no amount of damage from my old guild could get it offa me. I even MT'd for Kara. I thought I was a pro.

Then I came back to tanking and was using all my old skeels just to learn that my old guild must have kinda sucked more than I thought it had. My corrent guild has DPS glore compared to them, and I was kinda broken over the fact that my supposed skuill in tanking had been reduced to a delusion of grandeur.

So here is my plea. I've gotten better at maintaining agro, but I'm still not good enough. I'll put my gear link here so people can give me advice on enchabts and gems as well, but mainly I need a battle plan to hold agro with the pros I once thought I was among.

Plz help... for my sake and the sake of the people in my groups >.<

Gear: The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by Shinpachi22; 07-25-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Oops! never put my gear link!

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/tanks...ng-threat.html

Read it, learn it, love it. Improve =]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Gear changes:

1) 2% threat on your gloves. If you need more threat, this is the first place you should be looking.
    2) You're well over 490defense, and you have two +defense trinkets on. Drop one and pick yourself up an autoblocker for 41badges. Make a macro:
    #showtooltip Shield Slam
    /use Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 4000
    /cast Shield Slam

(If you can run Heroic MgT, go for the Shard of Contempt instead).

Spend your badges on the following three items: Brooch of Deftness, Bracers, and Auto-Blocker. The order may vary depending on who you're talking to, but as an aldor those are your 3 biggest threat upgrades available.

And while this doesn't pertain to your threat, but you gotta fix your gems. +10% Block Value meta-gem, lose the dodge/resil gem and replace it with a tanking gem (either 12sta, or 4def/6sta, or 4dodge/6sta if you want the socket bonus), and replace your agi/sta gems with dodge/sta for the socket bonus.

Oh, and still read "The Threat" that Kaze linked. It's awesome.

I did read the threat, and yes, it was awesome. Alot of the things I already was aware of, and I could contribute one more thing: for some reason, the standard "Sunder Armor" that you learn at such a low level is more threat-inducing than devistate. So if you're finding that you need to get agro faster, use sunder instead of devistate. I didn't believe it at first, but it's true. so sunder, then start to devistate, then sunder again if someone isn't watching their threat meter.
    Last edited by Shinpachi22; 07-25-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: I mistype as well as I make the top of the damage meter

Actually, Shin, that used to be true but was changed a few months back.

Devastate is now better than sunder for all intents and purposes. The only exception is when you want to sunder something without damaging it (like a sheeped target).

devastate actually generates the threat of sunder + it's damage + innate threat for the first 5 applications, then it just does the devastate threat + damage which is better than 301 from sunder.

ugh, you see? this is why I frakin needed to ask this... I missed things while I was gone.

lol, I thought Xav mentioned that in his thread. if he didn't do a quick search for Armstrong's Devastate Faq in this forum, he does extensive testing to it to show how it basically replaced sunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    lol, I thought Xav mentioned that in his thread.
    I only joined today, seeing a link to this site was a Godsend imho
    I tank, therefore I am.

No worries, glad to see you've joined the ranks, feel free to ask questions or just do searches for your inquiries, I'm pretty sure most stuff is already covered and anything not, we can answer for ya.

Your build is a little heavy on mitigation talents for the content you're likely on at the moment. Move some of your discretionary points in prot over to cruelty and improved HS - you don't need things like improved defensive stance yet, and improved shield bash is a luxury you can't really afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Urhan View Post
    Your build is a little heavy on mitigation talents for the content you're likely on at the moment... and improved shield bash is a luxury you can't really afford.
    First of all, what does mitigation mean again? and second of all, while that improved shield bash really helps alot, I do understand that maybe those points whould be better spent elsewhere. However, you also mentioned moving some of my points over to improved HS, but I don;t use it very often. I really only use it if I'm having no trouble whatsoever keeping a high amount of rage (which I consider to be consistantly over 80 even when I'm mashing my keyboard to a pulp).
    I tank, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinpachi22 View Post
    First of all, what does mitigation mean again? and second of all, while that improved shield bash really helps alot, I do understand that maybe those points whould be better spent elsewhere. However, you also mentioned moving some of my points over to improved HS, but I don;t use it very often. I really only use it if I'm having no trouble whatsoever keeping a high amount of rage (which I consider to be consistantly over 80 even when I'm mashing my keyboard to a pulp).
    If you aren't using HS often you're nerfing your threat quite a bit.

Mitigation basically refers to damage reduction. You "mitigate" incoming damage.

You should be using Heroic Strike in addition to the rest of your rotation every time your rage is over 50. If your rage is sitting over 80 and you're not heroic striking, you are indeed severely gimping your agro.

Mitigation is damage reduction (from shield block, armor reduction, or resisting spell-damage).
    Avoidance is dodging/parrying/being missed (as in, the attack completely misses).

Quote Originally Posted by Shinpachi22 View Post
    I really only use it if I'm having no trouble whatsoever keeping a high amount of rage (which I consider to be consistantly over 80 even when I'm mashing my keyboard to a pulp).
    Tweak that to when you have more than ~50 rage, and you'll see a pretty good boost in TPS.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

Quote Originally Posted by ebs2002 View Post
    Gear changes:

Spend your badges on the following three items: Brooch of Deftness, Bracers, and Auto-Blocker. The order may vary depending on who you're talking to, but as an aldor those are your 3 biggest threat upgrades available.
    If those are for aldor, what do you recommend for scyer?

if you're scryer and exalted, you can grab the SSO Neck, which looks like the Brooch of Deftness in terms of itemization but gives you 100 expertise rating as a proc instead.

Exalted Scryer's people should get the rep neck in place of the Brooch of Deftness, because until you are at 44 expertise skill with the rep neck equipped, you'll have more threat over a long fight (the proc makes up for the static loss of hit and expertise).

Over 44 expertise with the SSO neck equipped, and the proc doesn't make up for it.

If you want to see the math behind the magic number of 44, go to Veneritio's TankingTips.com - A guide to tanking as a Warrior in World of Warcraft and search for SSO Neck.

wait so the magic number is 44? holy crap, i thought it was just the softcap... time to go buy me a new neck.

Yeah, if your expertise is <44 with the SSO neck, it's better than the badge neck for sustained threat. If you're exalted w/ Scryers. The magic number used to be 37 or 38, but with a harder number set for the expertise hard-cap (we used to believe it was only 40'ish, now we know it's 56 or 57), so the magic number went up.

I still put on my badge neck for situations where I need snap aggro and can't rely on the proc, like Leo/Nalorek/A'lar/Trash(if not capped for lvl72).

+ Reply to Thread