+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wait for raid gear or grind for badges?

Wait for raid gear or grind for badges?

Hey, I'm a newer player to WoW and wanted to take on a new challenge then I'm use to playing in MMORPG so I made a warrior.

I don't plan on getting in to serious raiding, as thats why I came over to WoW for the more part-time friendly.

I wanted to know what gear I should be looking at for badge gear and what gear I should be trying for from the lower to middle end raids. The set bonuses from T4/5 are really cool and I'd love to get them, but at the sametime it almost seems easier to just grind out all the badges I need for awesome gear too.

I was looking at the Fearless belt and one of the badge bracers for badge gear. Should those be items I buy or should I try for kara ones? I know the fearless belt is higher level then Kara so I'm thinking it might be my best bet.

Anyhow, here is my gear, The World of Warcraft Armory and I'm looking for any suggestions you have on ways to improve any piece of gear. Thanks for any help.

Well, go kara if you can - you get both badges and chance of getting some nice loot. The badge-gear are in most cases better than kara gear, so if you get some legs from kara, but not a chest, then get the 100 badges chest and visa versa if you where to get all badge gear you are in for quite a grind.

This is a non question. Badge gear is better than kara gear, kara gear is better than blues. All badge gear is better than kara gear and you should replace the kara gear as you go along. Basically you want to follow venertio's badge pick order The Badge Pick Order: 2.4 Edition - Warriors - TankingTips.com , but possibly modify the order to take into account the gear that actually drops in kara for you. The question isn't which pieces to get, it's when to get them. You want to get them all.

Grind badges, you won't replace the stuff if you don't raid t6.

Here's the easy-mode answer that it looks like you're looking for:

You're gonna grind badges, one way or another. The best place to grind badges is Karazhan, so get some Karazhan runs going. As you kill bosses and make progress, you may get some loot; pick them up. Spend the badges that you grind on upgrading your blues first, and when you're epic'ed out, start upgrading the Kara gear.

"But Curnguz, I can only go to Karazhan one night a week, what do I do for the rest of the time?"

Heroics! More badges, and more opportunities for upgrades. There is a good interim belt from Ramparts, a good interim boots from Blood Furnace, etc etc. There's also the rep aspect: grind your daily quests to get exalted SSO and pick up the shield and, if you're scryer's, the neck. Grind Thrallmar/Honor Hold rep to pick up the weapon.

If grinding instances sounds unfun, you have another option between Karazhan nights: PvP. The S2 shield is only 15k honor, and is better against hard-hitting bosses than any other shield you can get until T6. The S2 shoulders are also awesome.

Lastly, you can get your blacksmithing up. If you're an armorsmith, get the mats for the Bulwark of the Ancient Kings -- it's an awesome threat chestpiece that will put less strain on you getting the 100badge chest. If you're a weaponsmith, ignore Thrallmar/HH rep and get yourself a shiney sword.

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    Grind badges, you won't replace the stuff if you don't raid t6.
    Agreed and I'd still recommend grinding badges even if you're doing T6 content.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    Agreed and I'd still recommend grinding badges even if you're doing T6 content.
    Oh definitely, some loot in t6 is only sidegrades to the badge stuff. Not to mention getting this stuff will help your guild progress in t6, and if for example Praetorian's Legguards drop and you have the 2.4 badge legs and the other tank doesn't have very good legs, you just saved yourself some DKP!

Always work for the the sure upgrade, whether it be crafted or from badges. Ebs2002 summed it up nicely.

Loot is random, and these forums abound with threads of how people have been killing the same boss for months and never seen a desired piece of loot drop. It's awesome when that loot does drop, but there's a chance that you will never see it drop before the expansion hits. And think of it this way - the release date for WotLK is estimated Nov. 3 by the game stores. That's about 14 weeks from now. So you've got 14 chances to get whatever you want before it's outdated.

You should grind badges even in T6 because:
    1) Chances are, you don't have a full T5/6 DPS kit, or a full fire resist kit
    2) Even if you do, I doubt you don't have full epic gems in every slot
    3) Even if you do, you can sell em!

Quote Originally Posted by bosephus View Post
    And think of it this way - the release date for WotLK is estimated Nov. 3 by the game stores. That's about 14 weeks from now. So you've got 14 chances to get whatever you want before it's outdated.
    I am hoping that they don't go nuts like they did with the previous expansion. Although even my T2 shoulders lasted until I got bold, and I'm pretty sure my t2 boots lasted until I got the Chess event ones, forgot the name.

Looking at the gear on MMO champ, it looks like our badge and t5/t6 should last until the late 70s if we so choose.

Would you say this chest is better then T6? http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...reitem_076.jpg I dont think so, unless STR will be really important. You tell me
    Last edited by Sarris; 07-26-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Would you say this chest is better then T6? http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...reitem_076.jpg I dont think so.
    depends on how important strength is I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Brucimus View Post
    depends on how important strength is I guess...

I edited my post, but you beat me to it

I am hoping that Strength is very important for tanking in Wotlk. When I look at my base stats of my toon in tanking spec/gear...doesnt having 173 Stength 169 Agil and 1219 Stam look kinda funny? It sure does to me

I want tank and put out some dps while doing it. I want my Heroic strike to hit for 1500 + instead of 700-800.

Strength seems to be very important come expansion with a lot of our skills gaining AP scaling to their damage, and someone on beta tested shockwave with a decent amount of str to find it hitting for 1.4k.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

So thats how our epics will become "outdated" at level 71? I guess I could gem for STR in the expansion to breath some life into them

Quote Originally Posted by Sarris View Post
    So thats how our epics will become "outdated" at level 71? I guess I could gem for STR in the expansion to breath some life into them
    I think you'll find that our epics are going to last significantly longer this time around even with the buff to Strength.

+ Reply to Thread