+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I've got too many weapons, help me decide:

I've got too many weapons, help me decide:

So, I've got a prot warrior, and throughout lots of 5man runs and raid instances, I've managed to gather all kinds of weapons, up until today, I had the following ones:

[item]29362[/item] with Mongoose
    [item]28749[/item] also with Mongoose, have concidered changing to Executioner for threat, but like that it's got both avoidance and threat stats...
    [item]34893[/item] with Executioner, use it for low rage situations and doing dps

Today I got [item]30058[/item], and I'm not really sure which weapon, if any, I should replace, especially since I've got 28 expertise even without this weapon. Would it be better than King's Defender as a threat generation weapon (if I enchant it with Executioner? Or if not, any other enchant / option to use it for that helps me get rid of one of my old weapons?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mallet allows you to delete Sun Eater and King's Defender.

My bags:
    The Brutalizer - use this 99% of the time
    Vanir's Right - for devastate spam / dpsing
    The Decapitator - pulling
    Thunderfury - TC with sheeps around

what about if i grab Cleaver and I'm an orc? can i toss Sun Eater and all of my other threat weapons as well? (quickening blade of the prince, etc)

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I wouldn't get rid of Sun Eater, it's one of the best avoidance weapons in the game, and you should use that whenever you don't need to push tps.

So, I should get rid of the [item]28749[/item] and use my new [item]30058[/item] for threat generation with an executioner enchant then?

I'll muddy the waters here a bit - [item]Mallet of the Tides[/item] better than [item]Blazefury[/item] for threat? Both with executioner, ofc.

[item]Blazefury[/item] is actually better for threat than [item]Mallet of the Tides[/item] assuming that you're already over the dodge reduction cap for expertise, because hit rating would be equal to expertise rating for threat past that point, and [item]Blazefury[/item] also has agility + slightly higher DPS.

Gurrgel, I wouldn't get rid of KD eighter - it might have it's uses with the +hit, but you should be using MoT most of the time for bossfights.

In short if you're expertise capped (which you should be without MoT) but not hit capped then use KD. Otherwise use MoT. On bosses that parry-haste MoT will the the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by hvidgaard View Post
    I wouldn't get rid of Sun Eater, it's one of the best avoidance weapons in the game, and you should use that whenever you don't need to push tps.
    Which fights would you recommend the use of The Sun Eater?

or you could go my route, although the ney-sayers will start poppin off crap about reduced threat or dps or some crap. I've proven it over and over again against the other warrior MT who is in my guild who uses the mallet with executioner.

Threat - [item]Tracker's Blade[/item] with exec.
    EH - [item]Umbral Shiv[/item] socketed with stars.
    avoidance will always be [item]The Sun Eater[/item] with mongoose.

that's not too many weapons. I have *every* weapon, all the ones from za and kara, 1handers and 2handers. I'm a weapon freak I even have gruuls sht on a stick

4 weapons is too many?

I carry (with me, everywhere I go, just in weapons) a KD, Merc Glad Sword, Glad OH sword, Gorehowl, The Decapitator & I have 4 different ranged weapons (an avoidance one, +hit one, +AP one, +stam thrown) and I'm currently hunting for more weapons (Particularly Sun Eater & the rifle from Anzu, but I really hate both of those dungeons).

Before you get rid of anything I'd suggest seeing if you can't make a bit more room in your bank for now, and just storing anything you don't want to get rid of yet. I've got the ZA bear boss OH ([item]Rage[/item] or [item]Fury[/item], not sure which) and the mace from Illhoof just sitting right now till I decide what to do with them.

You never know when you might want something, so just keep it for now.
    I'm so tanky I get up at 5:40 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwrex View Post
    I've proven it over and over again against the other warrior MT who is in my guild who uses the mallet with executioner.
    I'd say that's more that the other warrior doesn't know how to press the buttons correctly more than the weapons you both are using.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    Which fights would you recommend the use of The Sun Eater?
    I think a classic example would be Kigh King Mulgore. By the time everyone gets to the king you are so far ahead you can't lose agro (assuming you've been mashing buttons in the correct order) so why not give you healers a bit of a break?

Edit: Also if you are the last warlock tank in Mag, or if you are OTing Halazzi and your guild doesn't DPS the animal form. There are several of these survival fights where TPS plays a minima roll, and while they may not be as glamorous, a good tank should be ready to best fill that slot, especially in a PUG.
    Last edited by TomHuxley; 07-18-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomHuxley View Post
    I think a classic example would be Kigh King Mulgore. By the time everyone gets to the king you are so far ahead you can't lose agro (assuming you've been mashing buttons in the correct order) so why not give you healers a bit of a break?
    Yup, it is, but like most classic answers... it's regarding ridiculously early content. I guess in theory one could use it for tanking Fathom-lord too. Personally, once you get Mallet, I think it's just a waste of bag space.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    Yup, it is, but like most classic answers... it's regarding ridiculously early content. I guess in theory one could use it for tanking Fathom-lord too. Personally, once you get Mallet, I think it's just a waste of bag space.
    Wrong, any tank worth his salt ought to keep an avoidance weapon for fights where it's needed. I personally use SE whenever I don't have the first kill target as I usually will be far enough ahead on threat for the raid to go nuts. It gives your healer an easier time, and a bit more room for mistakes, so why not make use of it?
    Last edited by hvidgaard; 07-18-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    I'd say that's more that the other warrior doesn't know how to press the buttons correctly more than the weapons you both are using.
    true, but i still pull off the pally MT (also GM) with this weapon and he isnt a slouch in anyway.

I have been using mallet with exec and SE with mongoose as my tanking weapons, switching out where appropriate.

last night I got the cleaver off zul'jin and I am stumped with what to do with it. I don't want to vendor it so I was thinking of throwing more hit rating on it, enchant it with deathfrost and use it for caster tanking.

I Use mine for RoS P1, no healing means the more avoidance/BV I have the longer i can tank it

I used mine for tanking Halazzi in ZA as well as Morogrim and the Shaman add on Fathom-Lord. Though I'm a BF warrior now, I just picked up The Unbreakable Will last night which gives me a SE, snail-on-a-stick, and the new sword.

+ Reply to Thread