+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expertise, SBV and Hit.

Expertise, SBV and Hit.

Got a couple questions Ive been pondering.

1) For tanking trash in 25 mans is it more benificial to stack SBV and sacrafice some Expertise? In a short battle and possibly limited rage situation is SBV>Expertise?

2) Hit rating cap for warriors is 142 hit rating.
    - How important is it to reach that cap?
    - Wich would benifit more from a hit cap set, tanking Bosses or Trash?

3) If I am only able to reach 52 expertise rating wich is about 5-6 skill short of the parry hard cap, should I focus on other stats and just make sure I have enough for the dodge hard cap? Or should I keep that 52 at all costs for a boss fight and hope they dont exceed 52?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I'm gonna get mauled for this, but I usually run with 40ish hit, and the Expertise soft cap (23). I don't feel that I am having a huge problem with threat, either. And for tanking trash? Ya that's what shield block rating and SBV were made for.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

1&2) You need less hit and expertise for trash.

Miss rates are 70/5.0%, 71/5.5%, 72/6.0%.

So far as we know, trash mobs have parry and dodge rates equal, and are 70/5.0%, 71/5.2%, 72/5.4%

For level 72 trash, then, you need 95 hit rating (6%) and 22 expertise (5.4%) to cap out. Wearing more than these is wasted. SBV is rarely better than hit or expertise. For bosses, wear the stats you need for the particular fight.

3) Wear the stats you need for the particular fight.

Some bosses can't parry gib you, so 50-whatever expertise is perhaps not as useful. Some fights are threat sensitive so you need to go all out on threat stats. Some fights, you need to focus on surviving first. Gear for the fight; there is no universal answer.

That brings me to another question is there a list somone has compiled of bosses that can parry gib?

Thanks for the responses so far.

-Boda
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

All bosses that can parry especially fast or hard hitting bosses can insta-gib you

Quote Originally Posted by hvidgaard View Post
    All bosses that can parry especially fast or hard hitting bosses can insta-gib you
    No. Some of these bosses have had the parry haste mechanic disabled exactly because it'd be almost impossible to heal if they had it.

Off the top of my head: Mother Shahraz, Brutallus, Nalorakk
    Probably others I am not remembering this early in the morning.

oh, I wasn't aware of that - good thing someone corrected me then

Prince can do it too if I remember correctly - but most tanks with expertise to prevent it have enough EH to manage anyway.

Its the thrash skill he has that gibs you, not the parry mechanic there if I remember right, which is why you stack avoidance is possible for that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Silthias View Post
    Its the thrash skill he has that gibs you, not the parry mechanic there if I remember right, which is why you stack avoidance is possible for that fight.
    correct.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I think I'm gonna shut up now :P All I know is I've seen tanks go down from 13k to death in a matter of seconds, kinda assumed it was a combination of crushes and parry-hastes. But reading up on him a combination of crushes, trash and a parry-haste is death unless you avoid some of the blows (which is why it is an avoidance fight, right?)

I really need to check myself but is lvl 72 the highest lvl for trash in a 25 man instance?

If so, then would it be fair to say the ideal Trash Set would have:

-95 hit rating
    -22 expertise skill
    -As much SBV as you can stack

Does that sound about right?
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 07-16-2008 at 04:26 AM.

This seems good, stack SBV and other threat stats, such as strenght and agility.
    22 expertise is expertise SKILL not expertise RATING, be careful. Expertise skill=expertise rating / 3.95 correct me if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Got a couple questions Ive been pondering.

1) For tanking trash in 25 mans is it more benificial to stack SBV and sacrafice some Expertise? In a short battle and possibly limited rage situation is SBV>Expertise?

2) Hit rating cap for warriors is 142 hit rating.
    - How important is it to reach that cap?
    - Wich would benifit more from a hit cap set, tanking Bosses or Trash?

3) If I am only able to reach 52 expertise rating wich is about 5-6 skill short of the parry hard cap, should I focus on other stats and just make sure I have enough for the dodge hard cap? Or should I keep that 52 at all costs for a boss fight and hope they dont exceed 52?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    1) Well opening with a Shield Slam favors BV for obvious reasons, although missing is annoying. In the end, I wear survival gear because wiping due to healers afking is alot more likely then wiping because of a DPS pulling aggro.

2)
    Not at all.
    Neither. You would be sacrificing too many other stats to realistically hit the hit cap.

3)Never focus on one stat. Choose whatever option maximizes your goal. If your options are item A with 15 expertise rating and option B with 20 hit rating, choose option B.

The only time you should even think about a cap is when you are over a cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Grakzul Slaughtbringer View Post
    This seems good, stack SBV and other threat stats, such as strenght and agility.
    22 expertise is expertise SKILL not expertise RATING, be careful. Expertise skill=expertise rating / 3.95 correct me if I'm wrong
    I changed it to reflect skill now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamani View Post
    2)
    Not at all.
    Neither. You would be sacrificing too many other stats to realistically hit the hit cap.
    T5+ pve gear and recent badge loot have a lot of hit/expertise combined with survival stats, I found hitting dodge and hit cap (or getting close to that) in just about any of my tank gear set very easy. Even my Hydross res gear contains 20 expertise skill and ~80 hit rating.
    Being draenei certainly helps with the hit cap, but it's pretty easy to reach 6-7% hit and expertise nowadays, without nerfing survival stats. No, it shouldn't be your first goal and it's not #1 priority on most bosses, but it's not hard.

+ Reply to Thread