I have a question that is probably stupid, but I have read over and over to H.S. when your over 50 or 60 rage, my question is why?
I do it, because that's what I read, but is there some kind of penalty for having more rage, or is it just a 'magical number' to help increase TPS?
If you hit 100 rage...rage is going to waste. Rage that could be turned into threat by using Heroic Strike.
Activating heroic strike above 50-60 rage is an attempt to prevent that rage from going to waste.
Bronzebeard - US
If you start queuing HS at 30 rage then you won't have rage to execute your cycle.
Heroic Strike increases your threat and damage.
Plus the "wasted rage" topic already discussed; 90% of the rage you take in can be converted to threat (the other 10% keeps shield block up). Damage done by your DPS classes is based on how much threat you do; the more threat you do, the more DPS your warlocks/rogues/mages can do in return. If you are over 50 rage, that means you're taking in more rage than you're using; heroic strike offsets that.