+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Agility vs Dodge Rating; which is preferred?

Agility vs Dodge Rating; which is preferred?

A friend of mine and I are currently shooting the idea back and forth of instead of gemming for dodge rating that it may be safer in the long run to simply Enchant for Agility for raw dodge/crit/armor.

We could do both, potentially, but which is preferred? Or is there any preference?

Also, this site has made me better at what I thought I did best.

Thank you, Cider, Joana, and Satrina.

Dodge. Agility doesn't provide near as much avoidance as Dodge. The bonus armor and crit is nice, but not enough to account for the missed avoidance.

Agility is usually considered as a threat stat rather than avoidance. Go for dodge imho.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

Thank you, guys. I'll pass it on so we dont screw up out gear.

The short answer everyone has already given you. To weigh choices like that use pages like this.

A list of useful Tanking Formulas for Warriors - Dodge, Parry, Block

Oh and if you aren't thanking Venny, you haven't seen his website yet

TankingTips.com - A guide to tanking as a Warrior in World of Warcraft

Awesome, thank you much, Bonerot.

Yeah. Unfortunately, some foolish (wanabe) high-end tanks are putting spinels of Agility in their gear, rather than dodge. That isn't really worth it though, in my mind. Their idea is it lets you generate threat better while still having avoidance... but it's just bad. It takes over 30 agi to get 1% crit, and each 10 agility gem is like 33% less effective than a 10 dodge gem.

If you have 10 such gems in your gear, you're missing out on like 3% avoidance, but only gaining 200 armor, and 3% crit. The crit can be ignored because threat generation isn't relevent (you have tons of other ways to generate sufficient threat), and the armor is such a small amount compared to the avoidance loss.

It's just not worth it.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

I was wondering does the Agi and other stats that we get form gems stack with buffs like kings? And if so does that make Agi a touch more valuable?

We paladins see a lot of benefit from agility. Generally we only miss about 16% of the avoidance potential from dodge over agility, while keeping the armor. At this point, with avoidance being half-useless for most big fights, we are better off with agility usually.

This thread is also a year and a half old.

Necromancy, fuh tuh wuh. Note: they are discussing Crimson Spinels, aka BC epic gems. =)

But to answer your question, yes, Agility from gems does get scaled by Kings and Imp GotW.

If that makes it better than dodge? That's hard.

It will always give less avoidance than dodge rating, but it also gives you some armor, and some crit chance. Depending on your class/spec you might decide you like the net value of agility better. I know I do.

The fact that it gets scaled by stat % increases means that the more of it you have, the bigger bonus you get. If you have 1 10 Agi/15 Stam gem, and no other agility from anything, then 12% more is a little lackluster (+1 Agi!!). However, if you use that in each of your red slots (hurray socket bonuses), and have +Agi to cloak, etc. Suddenly you're getting a bit more value out of the stat buffs.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Just to add to a year old thread discussing TBC epic gems... lol

• Each point of Agility is 84% as effective as a point of dodge rating for avoidance. (i.e. 10 AGI ~ 8.4 Dodge rating ~ 0.114% Dodge)
    • Each point of Agility is 98% as effective at reducing average incoming damage as a point of dodge rating
    • Each point of Agility also gives you almost 1 pont of critical strike rating.

See sig spreadsheet; unless you're so heavy on dodge/avoidance already, you'll want to avoid agi over dodge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by MudNova View Post
    Just to add to a year old thread discussing TBC epic gems... lol

• Each point of Agility is 84% as effective as a point of dodge rating for avoidance. (i.e. 10 AGI ~ 8.4 Dodge rating ~ 0.114% Dodge)
    • Each point of Agility is 98% as effective at reducing average incoming damage as a point of dodge rating
    • Each point of Agility also gives you almost 1 pont of critical strike rating.
    This is true for paladins. Afaik Warriors dont come even remotely close to that effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    See sig spreadsheet; unless you're so heavy on dodge/avoidance already, you'll want to avoid agi over dodge.
    Well, most replies here, including the stats used on that conclusion Mudnova quoted, are about paladins, as said by Gniew. Sorry about you warriors and dks.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    you'll want to avoid agi over dodge.
    So long as I'm replying I can't leave this alone, "avoid" Agi over dodge, ha ha ha.

I'll reiterate, if you're going for the purest survival value, Dodge Rating will get you that. My personal opinion? I don't need to min/max my survival value, I have a pretty good balance otherwise, I'd rather get the big messy net value in this case. It's worked well for me so far.

I have to agree with Satorri when it comes to Blood DK tanking that 10 agi 15 stam gems over take 10 dodge rating 15 stam gems for us.

When you add in socket bonus', the Armor, the the Crit, The attack power, gain from 10 agil it out weights the avoidence gain from 10 Dodge Rating to me. Additionally having the Agil instead of Dodge you don't suffer as much from Deminshing returns on Dodge at the higher gear levels.
    Last edited by Senusret; 12-04-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was sure DKs dont get ap from agi...

you are correct, they get 2ap from 1 str

Actually, Shadow, that's not entirely correct.

Agility gives armor, armor gives AP. It's not huge, but it's something. Specifically we get about 0.11 AP per point in Bladed Armor, per 10 Agi. So, 10 Agi for a tank with 5/5 in Bladed Armor, is 0.55 AP. That's not a big deal but when you combine it will all the other sources of armor and AP it does give you a little buff.

I'm also not sure agility will save you all that much on diminishing returns of Dodge. On one hand, it will mean you get more *absolute* value from the dodge rating you get on dodge rating, but I have yet to see a solid presentation of the interaction between multiple dodge sources, as I am generally of the belief that it is the final dodge% that is regulated and the sub-contributers (dodge rating, agility, defense rating) include a factor somehow related to that. That last part is purely my speculation though and ultimately a bit inconsequential.

I just wouldn't say to take Agility because it makes your diminishing returns less severe.

+ Reply to Thread