+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking BT/MH for the first time, gear advice?

Tanking BT/MH for the first time, gear advice?

Hi all,

It's possible I will be MTing for either first few bosses of BT (Najentus/Supremus/Akama) or MH (Rage/Anetheron/Kaz'rogal) this coming Saturday for the first time.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Above is my armor link of the gear I propose to use. I basically lean to towards avoidance with a decent chunk of EH. Should I be asking for specific buffs like GoA, Bloodpact or will pots and fort flasks be enough to tide me over? Should I drop avoidance for more EH? Or can I afford to reduce both and stack a little bit more threat generation?

Any input would be appreciated.

I would put on some more threat stuff, like, Brooch of Deftness, Girdle of the Fearless and put 2% Threat on gloves, I have successfully tanked up to Archimonde and Gorefiend with pretty much your gear. But that might be due to my healing crew....

From my experience you will be fine even without specific buffs although I would tend to have a little bit less avoidance and cap my expertise. Maybe drop the [item]Boots of Elusion[/item] for [item]Jungle Stompers[/item] and swap out the [item]Barbed Choker of Discipline[/item] for [item]Brooch of Deftness[/item].

I would also never gem for parry.
    Last edited by rustyboy; 07-08-2008 at 12:51 AM.

I'll probably swap out choker of discipline for brooch, and then decide between bracers swap (Ancient Phalanx/Determination wristguards) or boots swap (Jungle stompers/boots of elusion). I hope to keep around 26% dodge rate at least, but yes I need to be able to hold aggro as well.

I've got 1 chance to do it right this coming Sat. If it goes well, I may get more chances to tank BT/MH, if not, then I'll be deadended progression-wise. It's going to be a new bunch of people I'll be raiding with, so I have no idea about the healing or dps crew. To be honest, I'm rather terrified, so much thanks for the advice.

@rustyboy - I ran out of dodge/hp gems. I always try to gem for dodge socket bonuses. Time to run more Slab for Regal Tanzanites!

Looks good to me, honestly. Good luck out there
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

Just an update. The reason why it was crucial that I tank and tank those bosses well was because I organised an alt PUG raid on MH last saturday.

On Friday night, I was told, to my dismay that I was the only FR tank for Anetheron's infernals simple cause I have a few miserable pieces of FR green for heroics. My friends dragged me through a late night Kara run for badges to buy some epic FR gear. Even though the raid allowed me to OT, I think I sleptwalked through the entire run. I finally ended up tanking the infernals with 300+ def, 2 pieces of epic FR and 4 pieces of green. Fortunately, my healers were able to keep me alive.

We got all the way to Kaz'rogal, then I got gibbed during a warstomp while trying to kite him through the tauren camp with the healers going "where did the tank go!?" Finally, too many people had to leave, so we called it. Still I think it was a success. Much thanks to everyone here for the gear advice. I hope this means I can make MH PUGs in my server a regular occurence!
    Last edited by Elyvern; 07-14-2008 at 02:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread