+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Akil'zon's Talonblade comments 'n questions

Akil'zon's Talonblade comments 'n questions

Ok, so this dropped for me last week Akil'zon's Talonblade - Item - World of Warcraft. I was still using KD (with Mongoose) for everything, so I threw Executioner on this for a pure agro sword.

Comments:

1) Looks pretty ghetto

2) Doesn't show Executioner glow: pretty lame if you ask me, since it's a damned expensive enchant

That said, I don't really care because I've seen a huge jump in my TPS. Yet I've seen precious little said about this as an agro weapon on these boards, and I was wondering why?

I know many here are further along inn progression, as which point even your mitigation weapons are better at throwing out TPS, but this is a fairly accessible weapon for T4/early T5 level tanks, and so far one I'd really recommend.

So, the question is, can I have some (more informed) opinion on the pros and cons of this weapon? I know haste is not the strongest agro stat, but the AP, speed, and DPS of the weapon are nice for the content level, no?

I would think the KD w/ its hit rating would prove more usefull until you obtained the [item]mallet of the tides[/item] from Lurker. The expertise would be a better aggro tool than some AP imo.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I know for a fact that KD is not throwing up the same TPS numbers. I assume a lot of that is just the weapon speed and overall DPS, with a slight bump due to executioner.

Mallet of the tides is certainly a better weapon, I just don't have it yet. Although I'm already well above the 23 soft cap, so expertise is yielding diminishing returns on trash.

Edit: I'm hit capped in my full agro set even without KD, so no loss there anyways.

Are you stalking me? Because I came on here just to ask the same question.

I had this drop today in ZA for my alt warrior. She has KD with Mongoose. She is Draenai, so no human racial to take into account.

Also had Umbral Shiv as an option, which retains some hit rating and has a couple of sockets, but is a bit slower.

SSC currently isn't an option, because I don't have access to that level of twenty five man raiding on my alt.

To be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the tanking weapon progression is here. Any advice or input would be welcomed.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Well, in my experience (which is about a week with this weapon, so far a couple of heroics, Kara tomorrow, I'll report back) Talonblade with Executioner is waxing the floor with King's Defender with Mongoose for TPS.

Of course you should keep both, with KD being used on more survival-oriented boss fights. And don't be afraid to swap the mid fight (get agro with one then switch) like Prince going from phase 1 to phase 2.

One thing that might effect this is your hit rating and expertise. I'm soft-capped on expertise (>23) and in my agro gear am hit-capped too (142 for prot warriors) so KD has little to offer me for agro. I'm not sure how hit scales, so perhaps if you have very little hit rating KD would be better? Someone with a better grasp of the math would have to comment.

Anyways, based on my experience you should enchant that puppy up and start using it in your threat set (if you can't afford Executioner, get the +7 hit enchant to hold you over, it's pretty good on a fast weapon like this).

A follow-up to...myself. Did the Kara run last night with the baconsword...err, Talonblade. Wasn't a fair comparison because I managed to get myself a better threat set all the way around compared to last weeks run, but TPS jumped hugely.

Except for the longest boss fight, most of the time there wasn't even a DPS above half way on Omen, and we brought some pretty OP DPS. Two careless bodypulls of shades in the second half (by a healer) were recovered because I could regain agro on them all. Obviously this sword isn't going to be a panacea if you aren't good at tanking multiple mobs, but it sure makes it easier if you do.

For those of you who can't get the SSC tanking weapon, I highly recommend this weapon with Executioner on it as an agro suppliment to King's Defender with Mongoose.

when no DPS was above half way on omen, you don't need the extra-TPS from the talonblade so you can switch back to the KD to take some tensions off of your healers.

edit: just took a look at your signature.. respecc with 5/5 cruelty would give you more TPS than a whole bunch of items, nearly without loosing just one point in survivability.

in terms of aggro, I would prefer Zul'jins axe instead of the talonblade. I don't have the exact stats in mind right now but the axe should have comparable DPS, more avoid, more stamina and more hit (if you're not hit-capped in your aggro-gear you have to prefer hit before haste). This would be the better choice.
    Last edited by Minya; 07-07-2008 at 07:01 PM.

I am hit-capped, but I agree that the axe would be better. Alas, it's also harder to get, and one hasn't dropped for me yet.

I did the exact same thing. I had KD for a loooong time and axe just didn't drop for me. Meanwhile, dps threat kept climbing and climbing. In the end I made Akil'zon my tanking weapon. Pros for it: fast weapon speed, stamina, good white weapon dmg over KD (don't forget you generate threat through white dmg too). It worked pretty well and tided me over till I got Cleaver of the Unforgiven and finally Mallet of the Tides.

As a tank with both the Kings Defender, Quickening Blade of the Prince, and
    Akil'zon's Talonblade, I personaly would go with Quickening Blade of the Prince.

27 stamina and Ignore armor vs 25 stamina and haste

Its really no comparison. Get an executioner Enchant on the blade of the prince and your set until you down lurker. Now keep in mind this is only if you have enough + hit and expertise that you dont need your kings defender. I personally now run around with a addy weapon chain on my kings defender, Battlemaster on my Talonblade and Executioner on my Blade of prince.

And on the best side of it, Heroic MGT is a lot easier than ZA

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    And on the best side of it, Heroic MGT is a lot easier than ZA
    Yeah, that's a great option, but not one I've been able to get ahold of yet. MGT is certainly easier than ZA, but in an attempt to progress our casual raiding guild further into T5 we're doing weekly ZA and Kara runs (sometimes a second of either) to help gear people up, and of course a T5 foray of one type or another weekly, so I have little time to run heroics anymore, and when I do it's usually the daily. So I have precious few heroic MGT runs so far.

I admit that this may be a somewhat unusual problem, so for those with lots of heroic time on their hands I would certainly push for Quickening Blade of the Prince.
    Last edited by TomHuxley; 07-09-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Interesting...I like these "outside the box" ideas and subsequent debates. You're right....it does look incredibly ghetto.....I've considered it before but there has always been a hunter or rogue that could really use it when I've seen it drop. It would probably be a significant upgrade over my old school Thunderfury or the King's Defender I carry around for kicks and grins. (disclaimer: Yes, I still cling to my once mighty epeen out of nostalgia but I produce enough threat to shut up the naysayers)

I definitely want to snare one and play with it after reading this, though.

I love equipping mine on my tauren standing next to a BE rogue with his, it makes his look like a toothpick next to mine

I believe it's the only 1-hand weapon I have seen so far that sheaths at your back. It keeps my furry hind warm.
    Last edited by Elyvern; 07-10-2008 at 03:54 AM. Reason: make that a 1hander

Thunderfury sheaths at your back... ;D

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Thunderfury sheaths at your back... ;D
    Ahh, yeah forgot about that one. Probably because that was before my time.

[item]Quickening Blade of the Prince[/item] also sheaths on your back. I have 2 of them on my Tauren and they look wicked cool both sheathed.

Whut is this

Akil'zon is a shite tanking weapon. Haste and AP are not our threat stats. Hit, expertise, strength, sbv, and arpen are our tanking stats in approximately that order of precedence. Arpen is good because it makes our threat-modified abilities hit harder.

QBOTP > Akil'zon, looks better, and is easier to obtain.

King's Defender > QBOTP and looks better and is easier to obtain that akil'zon.

+ Reply to Thread