+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help my gear is driving me nuts

Help my gear is driving me nuts

The World of Warcraft Armory
    Hi thats me and i seem to be losing aggro atm and cant work out why, first off all i thought it may be through limited holy shield hits so with a lot of gear swaps and enchant/gem changes i decided on what i am wearing atm but i am stuck with the same problem, heres a list of gear i can change hoping i can get some sensible advice, gold aint a prob and have 120 BoJ atm
    Justicar Shoulderguards - Item - World of Warcraft,
    Boots of the Protector - Item - World of Warcraft
    Slikk's Cloak of Placation - Item - World of Warcraft
    Shield of Impenetrable Darkness - Item - World of Warcraft
    Bonefist Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft
    Thanks in advance

I'm no paladin (although I do have one, usually holy), but what are you tanking that causes these frustrations? If you're in 5 mans you may be running out of mana because you're not getting hit enough and hence not getting enough mana returned from Spiritual Attunement. This may even be the case beyond 5 mans. Apart from that I'm in the dark on the intricacies of paladin tanking so I'll leave it to people who actually play pally tanks full time to answer fully.
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by flobbelf View Post
    Hi thats me and i seem to be losing aggro atm and cant work out why, first off all i thought it may be through limited holy shield hits so with a lot of gear swaps and enchant/gem changes i decided on what i am wearing atm but i am stuck with the same problem, heres a list of gear i can change hoping i can get some sensible advice, gold aint a prob and have 120 BoJ atm
    Justicar Shoulderguards - Item - World of Warcraft,
    Boots of the Protector - Item - World of Warcraft
    Slikk's Cloak of Placation - Item - World of Warcraft
    Shield of Impenetrable Darkness - Item - World of Warcraft
    Bonefist Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft
    Thanks in advance
    I take it your guild is T6 geared because there is no way you should lose agro with 427 spell damage on anything less ... T6 you may need to crank up to +550

Now dont shoot me for asking this ... just I have seen T5/T6 guilds make pally tanks for Hijal trash and never actually tank with them prior to that.
    And the reason I ask is you are logged out without Righteous Fury on. I know no prot pally who would ever let it lapse even when sitting around shatt most of use have warning mods to tell us its dropping. No RF .. no can tank.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

I was always under the impression that pallies stacked hit only as a last resort for threat so choosing Bonefist Gauntlets seems odd to me, but I'm just a dumb warrior so eh... I also thought Lore and Cider said something to the effect that Expertise was only better than spell damage after 825 spell damage so you might be better off getting the bracers from Heroic Arcatraz, apparently their one of the best for you til BT, I know our pally tank was excited to have them when they finally dropped. It seems wierd also, that if threat is your problem you would want to give up the Rep Shield for the Kara one.

In the process of looking at your gear I armoried our mainstay Prot Pally and he's only got 468 Spell damage 0 hit and 10 expertise in his current gear and the last thing we were doing last night was MH where unless he lets his pally threat thing falls off, he never loses aggro on the trash packs. (I'm positive he has a threat set too but I think for the MH packs where you may have heavy hitters on you, survivability is key)

Moved to Armory Suggestions Forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Well from what I can think of is that if threat is a problem its either several things, your DPS is better geared by an exorbitant amount or they aren't focusing on your primary target ie the one your judging and sealing.
    Now by the looks of it you are very similarly geared to my pally tank, I have slightly more avoidance, but you more stamina.

Anyway, if threat is an issue I'd suggest simply using flask of binding light and wizard oil, if your tanking adds in Hyjal, which from the the cloak your wearing tells me this is the case. So with that being said, if threat is an issue I wouldn't worry about using the defensive flask and use the flask I just mentioned, I have no problems on threat doing just this, except for the crypt fiends which tend to stagger into the consecrate and you end up generating less threat.

However that being said, your job is to hold as many adds as possible, if the other tanks are on the ball then they will grab them and pull it back into the kill zone.

*If threat is still an issue at this point!*
    Ask the raid leader/ raid assistant if you can have a shaman in the group for the spell damage totem

*I take it your guild is T6 geared because there is no way you should lose agro with 427 spell damage on anything less ... T6 you may need to crank up to +550*
    -That being said having 550SD+ buffed is a good thing because you can never really have too much threat...
    Last edited by Danielmi; 07-15-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Adding additional pointers

-That being said having 550SD+ buffed is a good thing because you can never really have too much threat...

And that said try getting it without a substantial number of T5 and T6 gear

Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post

And that said try getting it without a substantial number of T5 and T6 gear
    Its not that hard really that hard actually, I'm wearing badge gear atm and similar kind of gear.
    Ok, lets use my spell damage as an example

Im sitting at 436SD unbuffed and some gear unenchanted
    Now looking at his gear we raid similar places to an extent so ill include only the mace outta hyjal trash as the only upgrade

so 436 Base SD
    +20SD to gloves (or 2% threat)
    +15SD to bracers
    +33SD for the difference in SD for the weapon
    +80 for the flask
    +42 for the wizard oil
    +101 for Wrath of Air

So Total SD fully chanted and buffed
    =710 SD...

Now with the amount of block the OP has threat will be even better...

So... You we're saying?

Come on be serious you are 436 he was talking unbuffed he is 427 yes he will do the same as you if he can I am 398

Running Hijal and BT not sure if you will be able to keep the SD on bracers and the potion particually for hijal will be Free Action Pot. I see you have been there but do you change gear for it. I am in my Hijal gear which means gearing for avoidance so I have 2.4 chest not 2.3 etc.

+101 for Wrath of Air <-- right and you have shamans on rotating duty do you

/quote
    =710 SD...

So... You we're saying?
    /unquote

What I am saying is a few secs of glory doesn't count we are talking real and sustained agro he is losing it in the fight not at pull.

Can we talk apples for apples +550 SD UNBUFFED is only doable really in T5/T6 gear and if he is losing agro at 427 spell damage he has some serious DPS behind him.
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 07-20-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post
    Come on be serious you are 436 he was talking unbuffed he is 427 yes he will do the same as you if he can I am 398

Running Hijal and BT not sure if you will be able to keep the SD on bracers and the potion particually for hijal will be Free Action Pot. I see you have been there but do you change gear for it. I am in my Hijal gear which means gearing for avoidance so I have 2.4 chest not 2.3 etc.

And of course you know if your tanking hyjal trash more spell damage is better and considering the chest im wearing is 25 badges cheaper and still considered one of the best in the game, it was silly to buy your current one over that one.

Just depends really, its like saying will 120 more hp be worth a tad more extra threat gen, its a two way street, you gotta be alive to tank, but you gotta be able to hold threat to tank as well

+101 for Wrath of Air <-- right and you have shamans on rotating duty do you

Yeah... its called raid optimization, i certainly have it and I take as much additional spell damage possible...

/quote
    =710 SD...

So... You we're saying?
    /unquote

What I am saying is a few secs of glory doesn't count we are talking real and sustained agro he is losing it in the fight not at pull.

Can we talk apples for apples +550 SD UNBUFFED is only doable really in T5/T6 gear and if he is losing agro at 427 spell damage he has some serious DPS behind him.
    You never said unbuffed... k?

But you do have me there, 427 is good spell damage for his gear, and if he is loosing threat, then his DPS must be good. However, assuming that it is the crypt fiends, then possibly since they stagger in that he isn't generating the normal amount of threat he has over all the targets.

And sustained threat is an issue, what kind of targets are we talking about... i mean its rather vague isnt it... i mean for bosses does he do a crusader sov rotation or spam S and J SoR...
    Last edited by Danielmi; 07-28-2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Additional point needed to be made

Quote Originally Posted by Danielmi View Post
    You never said unbuffed... k?

But you do have me there, 427 is good spell damage for his gear, and if he is loosing threat, then his DPS must be good. However, assuming that it is the crypt fiends, then possibly since they stagger in that he isn't generating the normal amount of threat he has over all the targets.

And sustained threat is an issue, what kind of targets are we talking about... i mean its rather vague isnt it... i mean for bosses does he do a crusader sov rotation or spam S and J SoR...
    He provided his armory at the top which is where we got 427 base stat from but you do bring a valid point is he buffing up properly for raid.

I just had a quick look and he is still running around without RF up and hasn't changed his gear so I dont know

When was the last time you logged out without RF up ?

Other than that I can only assume he spends all day sitting around shatt and lets the buffs expire

Yeah, I do that everyday, just hang around shatt after a raid, i don't see much point keeping it up when not raiding.

But anyway, lets agree to disagree, your right so far as it is difficult to get 500+ SD unbuffed, but I'm right with the point of proper preparation can possibly help.

+ Reply to Thread