+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I try not to ask this too much, but, how am I doin

I try not to ask this too much, but, how am I doin

here it is:

The World of Warcraft Armory

please assume that I'm wearing the Ring of the Stalwart Defender, or w/e the badge ring is called ( that is, current dodge + 1.1%, and armor +400 )

What can I, should I, change, ect. I haven't really had a good oppertunity to challenge myself lately, however, my guild is about to start SSC/TK again, after a 3 week hiatus. I'd like to know before hand if I'm good to go
    Thanks in advance

Looks pretty good.

a) I don't generally advise gemming for Defense if you're already uncrittable.
    b) Your Hit and Crit are both on the low end. If you want to up your TPS, I would focus on these stats. Maybe get an alternative helm and use the Glyph of Ferocity and 10% SBV gem and use that as your threat helmet.
    c) As much as it hurts, you need to upgrade to Girdle of the Fearless.

Not to be arguementative, but, besides the threat based issues ( I have no issues with threat in-game, at all ) Are there any problems?

Tanking wise I'd say you are starting to overgear SSC and TK. Keep in mind these were tuned for T4 tanking gear and you are wearing some T5+ tanking gear with the new badge stuff. I suspect heals and dps will probably be overgeared as well. So it will really come down to the execution. You should be able to tear right through T5 raids.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrawrf View Post
    Not to be arguementative, but, besides the threat based issues ( I have no issues with threat in-game, at all ) Are there any problems?
    With that Hit Rating, you will. It's only a matter of time (and gear) before your DPS surpass you. Might as well stay ahead of the game now.

#1 - you are overgeared for SSC/TK plain and simple.
    #2- If your TPS isnt an issue....your DPS IS, also plain and simple.
    #3 - if your a main tank, gem like one. put a 15 stam gem in your chest, and your gun. 30 hp is still 30 more. dump the defense gems, and the extra #s over 490 will come with gears natural stats. Main tank rule of thumb is to stack as much stam as possible, of course keep your meta-active.

#3 - if your a main tank, gem like one. put a 15 stam gem in your chest, and your gun. 30 hp is still 30 more. dump the defense gems, and the extra #s over 490 will come with gears natural stats. Main tank rule of thumb is to stack as much stam as possible, of course keep your meta-active.
    That's such an over-simplification that it hurts. If the main rule was to stack as much stam as possible, then why do we have avoidance minimums to tank zones? If the main rule of thumb was to stack as much stam as possible, then why do we have avoidance pieces and EH pieces and threat pieces?

He gemmed like a main tank who cares about being the best tank he can be, not who cares about getting the highest number HP possible so people will think he has a bigger penis. It's the same gemming strategy I've been using and advocating: if the socket bonus is 3sta or more, go for the socket bonus using purple/green hybrid gems.

Oh, and your gear is just fine for T5, but I have to admit that I believe you could use a bit of an upgrade to your threat...if it's not an issue yet, it will be soon (or your DPS just sucks). Leo in particular may be difficult on all the aggro drops, with a low hit/expertise. You should be looking at 60'ish hit and 30+ expertise, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by ebs2002 View Post
    That's such an over-simplification that it hurts. If the main rule was to stack as much stam as possible, then why do we have avoidance minimums to tank zones? If the main rule of thumb was to stack as much stam as possible, then why do we have avoidance pieces and EH pieces and threat pieces?
    The way he said it was a bit harsh but you have to admit one thing... Going overgeared with too much avoidance to SSC/TK just means :
    - His raid dps is way too low
    or
    - He's badly caping his raid's dps

I'm not far from his stuff stamina and avoidance wise but I have more expertise/crit/hit and I'm halfway into Hyjal/BT.
    So as some said it, go for aggro asap or it will be your biggest problem soon enough.

GL =)

Alright, well, these have definetly been some good responses One last question tho...how much avoidance should I sacrifice on the alter of Hit and Expertise? (I'm ignoring crit, 5/5 Cruelty is as much as I'm willing to do in that department)

thanks again

Crit will come mainly with buffs and your Tiered pieces, so yeah you don't need to really look at that. If you still needed to push your threat higher, you could consider getting the bonefist gauntlets for some fights, but you have 2pc T5 that's not worth giving up for 20some hit. As for how much you should sacrifice for hit and expertise, I think you'd be fine if you got the 2.4 badge belt for an increase of 20'ish hit and 20'ish expertise. I wouldn't swap in a DPS item unless I really needed to push my threat.

And if you haven't gotten it yet, try to get the [item]Shard of Contempt[/item] from heroic magister's terrace. It's the single best threat trinket you can get (of course, you won't always need it, but it'll be great on fights like Void Reaver).

Going overgeared with too much avoidance to SSC/TK just means :
    - His raid dps is way too low
    or
    - He's badly caping his raid's dps
    Sure, that's possible, but "if you want to be a tank, then gem like one", then telling him to replace his dodge/sta gems with straight sta, is just plain ignorant. There are times when you need more sta, and times where you need more avoidance, and I don't think that replacing his hybrid gems for straight stamina and losing the socket bonus will even help him (unless "nerfing his stats" is helping)

Are you kidding me?

if the man has 490 defense (yes i am FULLY aware this is a soft cap) then looking at HIS current content, and current gear...HP is so much more useful that 4 defense and 9 stamina...(6+ bonus 3) go for the 15s, even go for the 12's....its not penis size is raw health in progression tanking is more helpful than 4 defense. what a joke to think differently. If your gemming for 3 stam bonus and stacking 4 defense or parry (even worse) your wasting valuable hp....anyone who tells you differently in my opinion didnt come up in progression tanking they went in with over geared healers and dps. I have been main tanking for my guild since we had to pug to fill a KZ run.

my healers had to gear up as i did. They need me to have health to survive the spikes.

either way though its just personal opinion and tanking is all variations based on group make-up, and current content. so my advice is solely based on my situation and for me to think thats a RULE for you...may be harsh. do as you like., but my personal opinion stands at forget gemming for 4 defense, and start gemming for HP the MOST hp you can get.

now im going to link my armory....just pay attention to gems not HP because i was having fun and did everything i could to log out with crazy HP, Also im in my threat set....OOPS I can produce about 27.25% dodge/18 parry/and 22block The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by TomBrokeOff; 07-03-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Well, ok, you can produce simmillar numbers, but with more threat stats: Mind you, however, that I have 2+% more avoidance than you have, and the utility if the pocketwatch, which I will never be without, for any boss fight, ever. Also, I am unable to accertain your health, since you have all those buffs on. As to wether or not I would want to gear myself in the same manor is diffucult to say, do to above reasons. Still, thanks for your input, I wouldn't neccessarily want to hear the same opinion all the time.

base hp is 16k unbuffed

and i get the 27.25% dodge with a pocket watch, and sun eater

well....not to be a jerk..but to get that dodge, you drop The Mallet, loosin a ton of threat and Expertise, and drop the Shard, which is of course the biggest source of said expertise. I choose to just have slightly less expertise and use the Mallet too. We are geared almost exactly the same anyway
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

geared, yes. gemmed. no.

and im not trying to be rude, either. just posting my opinions

stacking defense, through gemming after 490 = waste of gem slot for stam.

stacking parry, dodge, over stam when you have fine numbers for your content. = waste of effective health

dodge is going to fail 75% of the time that you need it. (assuming you have 25% dodge) health never failed me atleast....if someone here has died with some HP left though please tell me now...

Yaknow...ok...perhaps I will stick a stam gem in the gun Otherwise, I maintain that not every gem slot is blue, though most of them should be.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

+ Reply to Thread