+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deathfrost - how does it compare?

Deathfrost - how does it compare?

I've looked over the description for the new deathfrost enchant, and I'm wondering: how does it stack up to the other two tried-and-true tank enchants for weapons (goose and executioner)?
    Any theorycrafters out there on the job to explain how good/bad it is?

It is worse for survivability than mongoose because it doesn't stack with TC.
    It is worse for threat than executioner because of the internal cooldown.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

It is a very cheap enchant considering the mats involved, just 4 primals total. Definitely don't replace mongoose or executioner with this, let someone who is doing dps put this on their weapon instead of the tanks. It may be fun to put it on an off-hand weapon for duel-weilding as prot tho.

It is worse for threat than executioner because of the internal cooldown.
    What internal cooldown? Somebody posted on the other deathfrost thread that they've seen it refresh itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ebs2002 View Post
    What internal cooldown? Somebody posted on the other deathfrost thread that they've seen it refresh itself.
    I can confirm that it does not have a cool down for melee. I have have had it proc on Devastate then a Auto Swing and then on Revenge, one right after the other.

There is an internal cooldown on procs from spells and a (different) ppm for procs from melee. Enchancement shaman's proc deathfrost a lot more than other classes since they can tap both types of triggers.

Deathfrost on my weapon

Because it was a cheap enchant and Im still stuck with a tanking sword i dont consider worth a goose enchant, i decided to throw deathfrost on my weapon. I have since found it to be very helpful. We are currently doing kara and on boss fights where im not MTing the boss, healers have even commented on how little damage the tank had comparitevely been taking. (in raid chat i let him use his mad skills as the excuse but in our whispers it was obviously the deathfrost proc )

Final Conclusion-
    *Awesome for some melee to have for the tanks sake
    *Perfectly good cheep chant if u dont have the weapon to invest in a mongoose enchant
    *Not as good as a mongoose or executioner for the tank themselves because of the avoidance/extra threat
    *Get a melee to have it on there weapon, throw mongoose/executioner on yours

From responses on other forums you may be mistaken. From what I can glean it doesn't stack with thunderclap and imp thunderclap provides more swing slowing. It does however pop the debuff up on the target as well because of the cast slowing ability. It might be semi useful on bosses that cast a lot of offensive spells (assuming they're not immune to the effect) but definitely not on your MT. Mongoose and Executioner both put out more threat and with imp thunderclap being a mainstay in the endgame tanks arsenal the casting debuff just doesn't make it worthwhile.

In my opinion if you're using something that you're not going to be keeping long then chuck DF on it as a cost effective supplement but stick with the big boys for your decent tanking weapons.

That's what I'm thinking. I'll put it on my mh until I get a better weapon for my fury set. If the MT has improved thunderclap it'll overwrite the melee portion of the proc right? And if the MT doesn't for some reason like.. being a Druid or Pally, then it's my gift to him (without making me go to into Battle Stance).

The fact that the debuff lands, even if the melee effect doesn't stack, still makes it at least somewhat useful.

A good tank doesn't let thunderclap fall off, but with resists it's still a possibility (I've had it resisted 3x in a row). And with the number of fights that have spells being cast, the cast slow can still be useful.

I agree that a main tank should never have this enchant for a threat sensitive fight, and for just about every other fight he should be using mongoose if available. However, I wonder if Kael'thas would be a time for a tank to use a deathfrost enchant (We're only 1/4 TK 5/6 SSC right now, so we're a ways away from that).

I do think that there are a lot of times where an off-tank or a utility-dps class (enh shammy? arms warrior?) should have deathfrost available. Priest tanking on FLK, Shade of Aran, possibly Solarian, Hex Lord, and other fights where you could/would use Curse of Tongues

But then does it stack with curse of tongues? My guess would be no. In which case why wouldn't you use curse of tongues and a better weapon enchant?

To me it looks like a nice enchant to use in 5mans and maybe 10 mans when you may not always have imp thunderclap or a lock. But in a 25 man raid setup generally if a boss or mob can be CoT'd then it is. Be nice to have a DF weapon for Magtheridon when offtanking though.

But then does it stack with curse of tongues? My guess would be no. In which case why wouldn't you use curse of tongues and a better weapon enchant?
    One person on interrupt duty, with deathfrost and keeping kick/shield slam/whatever ready. With deathfrost, you have a longer window to interrupt (not as good as curse of tongues, but if you're on interrupt duty then it's not that big of a deal). Now your warlock can Curse of Shadows/Elements, or Recklessness.

Net changes:
    - Loss of DPS from the interrupt-duty person (if it's a prot warrior, like the person tanking the priest in FLK, not a big deal). He's sitting there with his finger on the interrupt button, not doing a DPS cycle; he also loses Executioner.
    - Gain of raid DPS, by having increased shadow/fire/physical damage.

I admit though, that it's not particularly useful when you can CoT, and that the number of times you can use it is low, but as an offtank who wants to provide maximum utility to my raid and who has a bunch of older weapons lying around unenchanted, I'd still keep it on me.

+ Reply to Thread