+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Faceplate of the Impenetrable gem/enchants

Faceplate of the Impenetrable gem/enchants

I just got this and I'm wondering if I did the ok thing to gem it and enchant it this way...

I've noticed a lot of warriors using Solid Emp Sapphs on the slot. Why? It has 6 stam socket bonus! So I put a Shifting Shadowsong Amethyst on it.

Also noticed a lot of Sunwell tanks go with Powerful Earthstorm Diamond as meta instead of Eternal Earthstorm Diamond. I went with the latter... since +10% SBV is hugeeeee for threat.

I'm also debating putting ZG enchant on it (would have to get a group for it) but people wear the CE one still even though I think ZG is superior.

What i would like to know is if I made the right choices in order to get ready for Sunwell Plateau. I know tanks stack dodge a lot to offset the instance debuff so if I didn't have to consider this I would be pretty confident on my gem/enchant selection.

I have two of these :

- one socketed with pure stamina (blue gem & stam meta) with a ZG enchant, which I use most of the time.
    - one socketed with +10 dodge rating, stam meta and KoT enchant which I use in Sunwell Plateau.

I could pick one for my threat/trash set but I think I'm fine now =)

I have two of these :

- one socketed with pure stamina (blue gem & stam meta) with a ZG enchant, which I use most of the time.
    - one socketed with +10 dodge rating, stam meta and KoT enchant which I use in Sunwell Plateau.

I could pick one for my threat/trash set but I think I'm fine now =)

Stam meta doesn't seem worth it anymore.

I think I'll keep it with what I got for now, but I'd like to prepare for at least Kalecgos so I dunno.
    Last edited by nimchip; 06-20-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Stam meta is bad compared to 12 def and 10% SBV, simple as. It's debatable if you compare 18stam vs BV only, add the 12 def and the choice should be very obvious.

As for the other gem, not using a matching gem for a single socket with 6stam socket bonus would be a silly thing to do; 5agi 13stam vs 15stam, don't see why would you consider having a pure 15stam gem in it really; although personally I prefer 10dodge in red sockets.

Well - depending on the piece right, cause I don't think I would socket 2x 10 dodge gems on t6 chest. Is there a reason why I should go with the CE enchant though for Sunwell? I'm thinking it's because of the avoidance but seeing as I won't be touching anything else further in than Kalecgos for a while - it's really a toss up. I'm just interested if people are enchanting their helms because of the avoidance or just because they're plain lazy to get the ZG enchant.

I have 2 and I gem mine both with 12d+SBV meta,

*one with +10 dodge and KoT enchant=boss fights
    *one with 5agi/7sta and ZG enchant=all others

When I got mine (Illidan hat) I was under the mistaken impression that I'd be getting the tanking sunwell engineering hat "any time now." So I went with ZG enchant, block meta, and a 5def/4dodge gem to activate the helm and match the socket bonus. My intention was the do KT enchant, block meta, and maybe a 5def/7sta gem (matches bonus for extra 6 stam) in the engineering hat.

Since the engineering hat has higher avoidance, armor and +hit (for going from level 70-72 to boss 73) it seemed better for progression bosses. The Illidan hat with block enchant and block meta is crazy good for trash and BT farm runs.

It's really only on Brutallus that I regret the sacrifice of avoidance in how I enchanted the Illidan hat (we're working on Twins currently). As a small consolation, Brutallus dual wields so I get some extremely small advantage of blocking twice as much as I would on a normal boss.

Damn all you people with two. Still haven't seen it drop.

i have mine with eternal, shifting, and zg enchant. never felt the need to get a second just to have a bit more avoidance.

i forgot to equip my brut tanking set last week and tanked him in my trash gear (26% dodge 19% parry) one shot with no probs, same healer set up as we always do (actually our main holy pally wasn't even there). living is more about healers and reactively/proactively using CD's intelligently than an extra 3-4% avoidance (in this case more like 10% lulz).

Quote Originally Posted by nimchip View Post
    since +10% SBV is hugeeeee for threat.
    Overstatement. If you have 600SBV, you gain an extra 60. 60 gets mitigated to about 36 extra damage per shield slam, or 54 threat. Over the cooldown of shield slam, about 9TPS. It's a nice freebie, but hardly "huge".

The trade is really 18 stamina (don't forget kings/vitality, cow bonus if applicable) versus 12 defense.

Well, we got 4 helms to drop so far for us and we only have 2 plate tanks, so we both got 2, but sadly, only 1 shield so far = (.

You may be right byechee, but imo, we as tanks should do all that we can to help with our gear. May it be just 3-4% avoidance or .5%.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Overstatement. If you have 600SBV, you gain an extra 60. 60 gets mitigated to about 36 extra damage per shield slam, or 54 threat. Over the cooldown of shield slam, about 9TPS. It's a nice freebie, but hardly "huge".

The trade is really 18 stamina (don't forget kings/vitality, cow bonus if applicable) versus 12 defense.
    You are skipping also the part of 60 less damage a hit, since I'm sure if not all, most hits you take should be blocked hits. So 60 less damage every hit or ~200hp on top end?

Yeah, the damage reduction the block value provides is very nice. The Eternal meta will definitely make you take less damage, as opposed to letting you sponge more. The eternal meta follows in line with gearing for avoidance rather than a max-hp setup.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Indeed. I was only speaking to the threat aspect quoted and not at all to the stamina vs. avoidance. Personally, I'll use the eternal meta if Illidan ever drops me a faceplate because of the avoidance, since I already hit 21k in almost gear sets as it is. The little threat boost and DR boost is a nice freebie.

Just one thing:

If you can't bear the idea of using gems that don't provide stam and have to use purple gems, get a [item]Regal Tanzanite[/item] (0.264% avoidance) instead of a [item]Shifting Shadowsong Amethyst[/item] (0.167% avoidance).

After making that choice for 5 sockets across your gear, you'll have traded off 5 stam (58 hp fully buffed) for 0.485% avoidance. If your avoidance was 60% with the Amethysts, you'll effectively be avoiding 1.213% more attacks with the Tanzanites. Easily worth the 5 stam loss.

Even [item]Defender's Tanzanite[/item]s (0.211% avoidance) or [item]Regal Nightseye[/item]s (0.211% avoidance) would be a better choice imho.

Ultimately though, with the stam you get between the 2.4 badge gear and MH / BT drops, it's pretty difficult to imagine how using [item]Subtle Crimson Spinel[/item]s and [item]Thick Lionseye[/item]s to match good socket bonuses would ever be a bad decision going into Sunwell.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

Faceplate

So I just recently got the Faceplate off of Illidan and I've been trying to figure out what to meta-gem it with. I keep seeing people advocating Eternal over Powerful, but my guy has very low block value, only about 320 talented. I tried Eternal for a while but I was pretty unimpressed with the fact that it basically just adds an extra point to shield mastery.

In my current set up I'm hitting 16.6 k health unbuffed, and haven't done much to step into Sunwell yet though my guild is planning to.

Should I switch meta gems? Even though I'll probably only get about 25-28 more BV out of it?

+ Reply to Thread