+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firefox 3 Issues

Firefox 3 Issues

For those using Firefox 3 on a Windows system who are having issues with TankSpot or any other sites, here's the details.

Several months ago, we made a conscious decision to standardize the site design away from PNG files so people could effectively visit this site from work, where IE6 was often a standard, and on slower computers without issues. The site even runs smoothly on some cell phones and portable devices. This, along with other changes, has greatly increased our visitors and our community.

Unfortunately, a well-documented issue with Firefox 3 that has been confirmed since Beta 3 has not been resolved. This issue involves Fixed Backgrounds -- the replacement for transparent PNG files we use -- and scrolling with them. On certain systems, scrolling on our forums will cause your CPU usage to jump from 50-100%. Despite hundreds of cited, high-traffic webpages like ours, there has been no indication this issue will be fixed in the near future.

We'll do what we can to create a work-around for FF3 users affected by this issue but it won't occur quickly.

Just an aside, using FFF3, I haven't personally experienced painful lag on tankspot since I turned off smooth scrolling.

"We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Just a heads up, Iv experienced the lag on a linux based system using FF3, so it is not just Windows users. Not that it should affect teh solution too much though.

Yeh, it's lagging for me. I will try at home the fix posted by Rak.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

using FF3 at work and at home, no lag for me.

Work for me as well!!

Cheers

another good alternative for ff3 users is the addon IE Tab. it allows you to switch the rendering engine used in a specific tab while still browsing within firefox. if you have to do work within an IE environment (like me) or you have situations like this, where switching to IE in a tab gets rid of a firefox bug, it's a great addon.

Quote Originally Posted by eros5656 View Post
    another good alternative for ff3 users is the addon IE Tab. it allows you to switch the rendering engine used in a specific tab while still browsing within firefox. if you have to do work within an IE environment (like me) or you have situations like this, where switching to IE in a tab gets rid of a firefox bug, it's a great addon.
    Agreed this tool is a must-have and can be nice when you want to have 2 sessions open on the same site in 2 tabs as well.

same cpu usage for IE7

hi guys thanks for the heads up on this one.
    I checked my CPU usage with windows taskmanager and it jumped from ~1% to up about 50% in FF3. Not experiencing any lag tho, because im only surfing the net and reading Tankspot
    BUT today i wanted to check the difference between CPU usage in IE7 and FF3 and guess what ..cpu usage also jumped to 50% using IE7 .
    So on that part i dont think its just FF3.
    I hope this small prob can be fixed without changing the looks of this site. I love what you guys did to the website.

greets

The CPU usage isn't an issue, it's just an indication of the issue. IE7 doesn't cause a problem because, even w/ high CPU usage, it still scrolls smoothly without any issues. FF3 has a really annoying stutter.

There's not a real easy way to fix it without substantially changing the way the site looks. If it annoys people enough, blocking the images is the best solution.

How it would affect IE users if you would use .png instead of that crappy ie workaround?

IE7 users are fine, IE6 would look a bit strange because Colors dont match and transparency does not work right.

I am using Opera and the page works fine

Quote Originally Posted by WarDrum View Post
    How it would affect IE users if you would use .png instead of that crappy ie workaround?
    The IE 'workaround' is universally better on every browser except Firefox 3. PNG files as a means of producing transparency had a terrible impact on our site in every browser on every computer, and we used them for too long.

+ Reply to Thread