+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tankatronics vs. Battleworn Tuskguard

Tankatronics vs. Battleworn Tuskguard

So I'm sitting here debating this for about 24 hours since I picked up the Tuskguard last night.

Tankatronics are (including gems):
    1296 AC
    98 Stam
    43 Def
    22 Dodge
    13 Hit

Tuskguard is (non-epic gems):
    1355 AC
    96 Stam
    40 Def
    23 Dodge
    51 SBV

So, the gist of it is: 59 Armor and 51 SBV for 2 stam and 13 hit. I don't have a SBV -> Threat conversion, so no calculations there. I'm still waffling as the Tuskguard will give me a bit better EH at the cost of 13 hit.. humm. Any comments guys? o.O

If your hit can afford it I would go tuskguard, 13 hit should not affect your threat horribly, and the tuskguard lloks cooler

Haha, well, I'm a bad pally with very little hit, but I started using the Broach for more hit, I've got more Expertise than hit :P

Outside an instance, the goggles always win cause motes = $$ :3

I've wondered the same thing.

I've been using my goggs for all around tanking and my Tuskface for high EH fights, even slapped an 18 stam enchant on it.

Threat-wise. 13 hit vs 51 sbv? Can't decide which is more valuable. Though keeping in mind that the SBV meta can soften the blow of not having 51 sbv.

Mmm nagrand air motes.

Its entirly possiable to regem the Tankatronic with +10 hit. Giving it 23 hit rating and use it as a threat gear with teh 10% block meta. While Tuskguard can be used for the EH fights

Expertise/hit are very low on the necessity list for Protadins. Most of your threat comes from spells.

But besides that, the Tuskguard is better for both Warriors and Paladins. 1% hit ~ 37ish BV at an average level(that is BV as listed on gear, not post meta/talents). Tuskguard is better for TPS and survivability.

With my current gear I'm looking at a 21SBV (I'm thinking 13 hit>21SBV by a large margin) difference between the goggs and tuskguard.

Only hurting point is losing 18 stam if I +15 the tuskguard sockets.

I find the goggles to be a better all around piece if you gem it correctly.

It is true that the meta socket is hard to pass up. But from a pally stand point, the massive BV on the Tuskguard probably makes it better. (I was thinking from a warrior stand point earlier.)

The Battleworn is 100% in my AoE set, I've pushed to 611 SBV with 35% unbuffed block rating with it, still waffling on it for tanking bosses, I've been having a lot of hit/parry issues, been trying to assuage those with def/expertise gear -- in fact, I'm picking up the Girdle of the Fearless once I get some more badges because of that, I might wait till then to switch out my helms because I'll get more hit off the belt.

the fact that there's no epic-quality metas makes goggles a loser in this comparison, imo. of course i'm assuming that you're going stam meta over bv meta, but tuskguard ends up with better stam in either case.

muggs i've never heard of a pally pushing hit/exp. what kind of results are you getting?

isn't holy shield added threat based on sbv?

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post
    isn't holy shield added threat based on sbv?
    negative. bv has zero effect on threat for loltanks.

no, bv is very useful for aoe set.

but as a pally tank, bv does not help your threat.

I don't have the [item]Battleworn Tuskguard[/item] yet, but I do have the [item]Tankatronic Goggles[/item] with a 10% SBV Meta, and a [item]Presence of Might[/item].

I was wondering with those chants how people thought it stacked up. I am a warrior tank btw, sorry to piggy back on this thread.

The goggles are 89 stam, 15SBV, and 48 defense with the chant and gems. Plus whatever the SBV chant gives.
    Last edited by Sarris; 07-09-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Wow, I forgot about this thread, as an update, I'm still using the Tankatronics cause the battleworn is fugly. I don't have solid numbers to help you out, but in reply to an earlier comment:

Expertise has been rated right behind spell damage for pally threat, not to mention I got Parry Pwned on Azaglore, and frankly, I'm sick of my auto attacks missing. SoR generates a lot of threat, but only if my attack lands, so I figure hit and expertise have upped my TPS a bit and the lowered parried rates help slow down those nasty burst. Also, hit affects my taunt now, so in taunt sensitive situations, it really pays off.

I had to think about that one (pally & hit/expertise). Hit I would think is nearly useless to you since your threat mechanics are spell based... no? Expertise on the other hand would provide the same parry mechanics mitigation to you that it does to anyone which is important I think. Just as long as you don't go eyeballin my Mallet boy! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Quote Originally Posted by Muggs View Post

Expertise has been rated right behind spell damage for pally threat, not to mention I got Parry Pwned on Azaglore, and frankly, I'm sick of my auto attacks missing. SoR generates a lot of threat, but only if my attack lands, so I figure hit and expertise have upped my TPS a bit and the lowered parried rates help slow down those nasty burst. Also, hit affects my taunt now, so in taunt sensitive situations, it really pays off.
    (as a human) expertise is next best threat stat but not close at all, not worth mentioning. only reason for expertise items is to stop being parry gibbed as a paladin.
    as human u get expertise and u will have expertise talents which is easily enuf for every boss which doesnt parry gib

That's not true, bosses theoretically need 57 parry SKILL in order to remove all parry % chance, even as a paladin, striving for something like this could be reason enough to protect yourself from unforeseen burst damage.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I've been trying to get the Tuskguard for a while, but with no success. After ~30 kills of Malacrass, my warrior tanking partner and I have yet to see it drop. Ah well, at least we got our first Bear mount two days ago.

One of the earlier posts asked about success with tanking stacking expertise and hit rating. I've been pushing toward the hit and expertise cap for a while, mainly through a limited number of items like the Brooch of Deftness and the Girdle of the Fearless. Pepe's Shroud of Pacification will be worn as soon as I can figure out a way to work it into my set without sacrificing defense cap.

The biggest difference I see is single target threat, something that paladins normally struggle with. Removing the chance to miss an attack or to be parried/dodged effectively increases my DPS and TPS over a moderate to long duration fight by by a fair margin. Since Seal of Righteousness only (but always) procs on a weapon hit, the more you can change the combat table in your favor, the better.

Stacking only spell damage for TPS doesn't always have a major impact. There are times when you can't drop the consecration, like tanking Malacrass during a paladin siphon soul. While my spell damage is still useful by causing damage through Seal of Righteousness, the spell damage coefficient on SoR is horrible. 16.56% of spell damage is applied, so I get 91 extra damage out of my raid-buffed 552 SD, so SoR normally hits for ~165.

Attacking a lvl 73 boss, you normally have a 17.2% chance to get a miss/parry/dodge, assuming you took Precision. However, my 45 hit rating and 21 expertise (not expertise rating) increase my chance to hit by 13.35%, providing an effective boost to SoR's TPS by that much and reducing my chance to miss down to 3.85%. It also decreases my chance to get nasty burst damage from a parried attack down to .35%, so my healers love it. In order to adjust for the loss of expertise and hit in my gear, I'd have to boost my spell damage by about 110 for SoR to generate the same threat.

ok my hit and parry are good and my spell damage is also good but i can still loose aggro when fighting a single target if i am silenced and can't use spells. So what is the answer to the age old question, how do pallie tanks hold aggro and keep it

+ Reply to Thread