+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some help with gear

Need some help with gear

I need some help setting up my gear and talent points if necessary...After trying to tank mech and losing aggro about 10 times to players who have pretty much all purples to everything after kara.... My pursuit of the sun eater is pretty much at a stand still because I lose aggro and lose groups out of frustration... any suggestions in form of gear that I can get or replace that can help me get me to be a better tanking machine.

I seen some posts for Grom'Tors Charge but not good ones, should I just keep trying to work for rep with honor hold to get honor's call and start with that?

Forgot to post the link to my armory profile

The World of Warcraft Armory

Armory is apparently down at the moment so I can't look at your guy.

If you are running a heroic with group members in all epics and you're in all blues, they cannot go full-out. It just isn't possible. You will not put out enough threat. Don't get discouraged by that because we've all been there.

I liked Grom'tor's Charge, I used it until Sun Eater. The questline was a pain in the ass, but the weapon lasted forever. I tried using Truncheon of 5 Hells from H Ramps, but the 1.8 speed seemed to negatively affect my threat, and since I had a razorthin margin for it anyway, wsn't worth it. The new patch has put out a new beginning-tank weapon: Innuro's Blade, which largely supersedes Grom'tor's. So take a look at that one in place of Honor's Call. Great tank speed (1.4), same DPS and stam as Grom'tor's, and has defense, hit, and expertise (all great stats). You'll need to be revered with Shattered Sun, then happy birthday to you.

Daniel

Thanks man I'll prolly just link my gear hear later and list it out if you dont mind checkin it later. I'll try for that sword you were talking about but ya it was a tough one the other day when said i was sucking lol.... especially when the mage decide to hit a mob with a pyroblast first shot

My other advice is to find a competent healer and glue them to your hip for badge farming. Over 90% of the heroics I run, going back to both of us first dinging 70, are with a holy pally. With so much playtime together, I never have to worry about what the healer is doing. If the DPS pull everything, just let them die. Either they'll learn or they'll drop and bring in some new cats. Even better is to get a consistent playgroup of 3 or 4 people. When 60%+ of the group is people you're familiar with, even terrible situations can be pulled out alright. I had to do so much H Mech to get Sun Eater (over 50 runs), that me, the pally, and my hunter friend can run it with pretty much any 2 people at random. If you're first starting H Mech, definitely get a warlock. They're helpful on the demons on the way to the first boss (enslave and banish) and on Path with the adds he spawns. If you can get a mage or hunter, great. That limits most pulls to you tanking 1 mob on the first level, 2 mobs on the second level. Kill the physicians first and watch out of the netherbinders as they summon adds. The casters (astromages and crap) use a fairly-hard hitting AOE spell shield which a mage can spellsteal, and they can blast yo uaround a little so make sure to Bash and use Reflect. The melee mobs are nothing special. The Arcane robots can be a super pain, especially for your situation. You MUST interrupt their Charged Fist or things can go very badly. If you think you have a threat lead and enough rage, just Heroic Strike nonstop until you see them start to cast it, then Bash, then get back into your rotation for about 20 seconds and repeat. This lets you be ready to interrupt while at least working some rage.

3 great reasons to bring a hunter:
    - Misdirect to increase your threat
    - Traps are decent reliable CC, especialy if the hunter is competent
    - Usually good DPS

One of the most fun runs I've done was with 3 hunters, 1 in each spec. The DPS and trapping was just crazy.

Don't get discouraged, just keep plugging away and it will get easier. We used to skip the chick boss and do Pathaleon and then give the chick one shot (usually a wipe). As we got better and better, we could down her sometimes, then usually, and now we can 1 shot her everytime no matter what stuff happens. That will happen for you as well, just keep at it.

Daniel

One last bit of advice. It is naturally going to be rough holding aggro for people who greatly outgear an instance. Their DPS > your TPS because of gear level alone. So don't feel bad. I suggest finding people (or a guild) that is equally geared as you and work your way up from there.
    Armory! And when Armory is down... Warcrafter!

Bloody knuckles, carving the path to freedom.

I have been running as a dps war with my guild. My prot set it on now, but this is a good way for me build up a slew of tanking gear. I raid dps and prot when we are not. Like the previous posted stated, you should get a solid team of people stationed. I run with resto sham, feral druid, bm hunter and destro lock. Druid off tanks hunter usually keeps 1 trapped down and lock is "sac" spec so he just burns down what ever we are killing. We know how to do heroics and since we are all RL friend we have that extra force to help keep cool.

I hear you I have a couple of real life friends but still waiting for them to catch up to 70 lol... but i think when they do lvl to 70 things will be a lot better. Especially on our server there are a small quantity of people doing heriocs now adays and LFG for people can take forever at times.

Quote Originally Posted by uki929 View Post
    I hear you I have a couple of real life friends but still waiting for them to catch up to 70 lol... but i think when they do lvl to 70 things will be a lot better. Especially on our server there are a small quantity of people doing heriocs now adays and LFG for people can take forever at times.
    My server is also a small server. The hunter and druid, friends of mine, were in the 50's when the rest of us hit 70. It was painful but we ran them through instances and it made things quicker.

Noticed that you are a 351 BS. If you are master swordsmith, the [item]fireguard[/item]
    is a pretty decent threat weapon that will eventually upgrade to [item]blazefury[/item]. and OMG NOOO. you are a human. you will take a huge hit on your threat if you use an axe. Do Not get [item]grom'tor's charge[/item] or any other axe for that matter. IMO the racial for axe/mace expertise for humans is awesome. As far as bringing hunters... A really good hunter is golden, but also very rare.

If you read what I posted, I suggested he farm SSO rep and get Inuuro's Blade, also a sword. Is Fireguard/Blazefury better? Even though it lacks expertise and defense, I'd still argue yes. But assuming he's a swordsmith, crafting those weapons will take time, and SSO rep also leads to a damn good epic shield as well.

Daniel

+ Reply to Thread