+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gear advice requested

gear advice requested

since clearly im not smart enough to gear myself i thought i would post up here looking for some advice and suggestions on where to look next.

first a little about me. im a mage in a casual raiding guild. my alt is a prot war and this site and all its advice has really helped me out alot.

since my prot war is an alt i am limited in what gear i can get to pugs and badges. i am lucky however in having some great people to pug with.

ok so here it is, my armory is correct except that the spyglass is never used in its place is the darkmoon card. swap that out and your looking at what i tank in, i have not yet pieced together seperate sets of gear to have different avoidance and stam sets. i pretty much just always use that.

The World of Warcraft Armory

i dont really know where to go from here. the only badge upgrades are the ring, gloves, and the new pants. but im under the impression those arent really that much of an upgrade. i have 60 badges but i dont know what to spend them on.

is it getting to the point that i buy multiples of stuff and set up 2 sets of gear? max stam and max avoidance? i like not having to swap gear in and out and i would have thought what im wearing should be enough till i get to BT. (i dont ever expect to get to bt btw). maybe a passively uncrushable set? if uncrushable is the way to go im totally lost for where to start.

TBH any of the badge things left will be a good upgrade in the long run, however for me the thing that stands out is the fact you dnt want gear sets, that will be a problem, as no two fights are the same so constant swapping of gear will be needed.

In general though, id say go for the legs next, but any would do.

Regards,

Silthias

Quote Originally Posted by Silthias View Post
    TBH any of the badge things left will be a good upgrade in the long run, however for me the thing that stands out is the fact you dnt want gear sets, that will be a problem, as no two fights are the same so constant swapping of gear will be needed.

In general though, id say go for the legs next, but any would do.

Regards,

Silthias
    its not so much that i dont want sets, its that im lazy and forgetful so i havent really done that and i think i may be at the point that i have to.

edit. you know maybe what im thinking but not saying is that i have 20k hp buffed and like 18k armor. am i wrong in the secret beleif that i wont need substantialy more than that for any encounter before BT? im wrong alot so tell me if i am. when i was gearing up to this point i used to swap out pieces here and there but that was when i had alot less hp and armor.
    Last edited by SunderMonkey; 06-02-2008 at 06:14 AM.

you wont need more EH really before then, but there are fights that are designed around avoiding the dmg more than anything, so at the least you should have an avoidence set.

Regards,

Silthais

I'll start this by saying I'm a fan of sets, so this is a biased response.

However, I'll start by saying I'm a bit confused by your status - you say you dont expect to get to BT yet you are wearing a shield from halfway through MH? For me sets are most important to get the maximum out of your gear, however if you are tanking farm content for a group who outgear a raid, then its obviously less important - at least in terms of avoidance, although your threat stats are probably even more important.

I'll also say that there are people who have tanked pretty much every encounter in the game in one set.

Here's my best justification of gear sets, based on what you're wearing - load your character up in warcrafter or some other armory linked website, which allows you to change gear. Replace every piece that has +hit on it for pure avoidance pieces - so maiden's neck and the old 2.3 belt (cant remember what else you were wearing), then swop out any shield block rating and shield block value pieces for pure avoidance (note - I'm not recommending you actually tank in this set) and compare you dodge and parry before and after. I'm guessing you should see a decent increase, ofc whether that increase is important to you is a personal decision - and how badly skewed it leaves the rest of your stats.

I guess another reason I like different sets is that I find it very difficult to compare between a piece with loads of avoidance and a piece with loads of threat stats (simple case), dependent on your other gear each of those pieces might well be worth having for different situations.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I'll start this by saying I'm a fan of sets, so this is a biased response.

However, I'll start by saying I'm a bit confused by your status - you say you dont expect to get to BT yet you are wearing a shield from halfway through MH? For me sets are most important to get the maximum out of your gear, however if you are tanking farm content for a group who outgear a raid, then its obviously less important - at least in terms of avoidance, although your threat stats are probably even more important.

I'll also say that there are people who have tanked pretty much every encounter in the game in one set.

Here's my best justification of gear sets, based on what you're wearing - load your character up in warcrafter or some other armory linked website, which allows you to change gear. Replace every piece that has +hit on it for pure avoidance pieces - so maiden's neck and the old 2.3 belt (cant remember what else you were wearing), then swop out any shield block rating and shield block value pieces for pure avoidance (note - I'm not recommending you actually tank in this set) and compare you dodge and parry before and after. I'm guessing you should see a decent increase, ofc whether that increase is important to you is a personal decision - and how badly skewed it leaves the rest of your stats.

I guess another reason I like different sets is that I find it very difficult to compare between a piece with loads of avoidance and a piece with loads of threat stats (simple case), dependent on your other gear each of those pieces might well be worth having for different situations.

i will admit the wall at bt is odd. but in my case its that this guy is an alt and not a raiding charater in a raiding guild. so i only get to raid stuff in pugs. the people i pug with are awsome. but they consist of people who raid on their mains and who bring their mains and or alts to these pugs. for example i regularly pug gruuls with a rogue who has both glaives. its cute seing him in gruul, i giggle everytime i see it.

since each instance has a lockout and since noone is going to stop farming BT (glaives) I dont think we will ever pug BT. simply put nobody is going to lockout their character since they could be needed in bt for a real guild run. I know i wont.

so thats why im limited at hyjal. i do want to mention that the guy who makes this possible is freaking awsome. these pugs only exists because one guy runs them and i apreciate it.

i dont discount avoidance i just prioritiesed it below hp untill i got to 20k buffed.

regardless my reason for posting is that im at a loss for how to progress my character. should i even bother with the minor badge upgrades at this point or should i spend the badges on gems/fury gear?

Quote Originally Posted by SunderMonkey View Post
    i will admit the wall at bt is odd. but in my case its that this guy is an alt and not a raiding charater in a raiding guild. so i only get to raid stuff in pugs. the people i pug with are awsome. but they consist of people who raid on their mains and who bring their mains and or alts to these pugs. for example i regularly pug gruuls with a rogue who has both glaives. its cute seing him in gruul, i giggle everytime i see it.

since each instance has a lockout and since noone is going to stop farming BT (glaives) I dont think we will ever pug BT. simply put nobody is going to lockout their character since they could be needed in bt for a real guild run. I know i wont.

so thats why im limited at hyjal. i do want to mention that the guy who makes this possible is freaking awsome. these pugs only exists because one guy runs them and i apreciate it.

i dont discount avoidance i just prioritiesed it below hp untill i got to 20k buffed.

regardless my reason for posting is that im at a loss for how to progress my character. should i even bother with the minor badge upgrades at this point or should i spend the badges on gems/fury gear?
    you said you wanted to know if 20k is enough unbuffed, i would say i shot for 23k on kael. so i guess its just determined by which bosses you wish to tank. on easy bosses 20k is fine

+ Reply to Thread