+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TPS and my current gear

TPS and my current gear

HELP!!!
    At the moment I am doing BT,Hjal. I was picked up from a SSC/TK clearing guild to help tank encounters.

Anyway, let me get to my point. Today I tanked HW Naj with full T6 guild and I found my TPS to be...well lacking. I was able to sustain about 800+ TPS through the encounter but I kept watching my guild pop up right on my tail. Usually in trash I keep about btwn 900-1200+ TPS but on bosses it sometimes levels out. Watching all the dps get right on my tail I felt very bad. I know my rotation is solid, I read alot on the subject. I have never had this problem.

My actual question is do I just need more gear to get this TPS im missing? Or would this stem from another problem and if so how would I research where the problem might stem from?

Me: The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by Krisby; 05-21-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Ok firstly, you are well geared for MH/BT. You could do with some upgrades eg. your bracers.

I can think of a few reasons why you are having problems with threat.

1.) You could use more Expertise, this is the no#1 tanking stat for building threat. A great resource and reading material can be found here

2.) If the guild you are running with is a full T6 group, then they are more than likely holding back on their dps and closely riding your threat. If you want more threat, get a shaman for Windfury Totem and even a feral druid for LoTP.

3.) Lastly what is your rotation? The standard is Shield Slam -> Revenge -> Devastate -> Devastate. Heroic Strike for dumping excess Rage.

Just a side note, High Warlord is probably not the best boss to test your threat on, and also having another warrior to debuff the boss with Demo Shout and Thunderclap should free up your rotation to consentrate on threat.
    Some recommendations I can make is go get the Brooch of Deftness - Item - World of Warcraft for 35 Badges and also Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx - Item - World of Warcraft for 35 Badges. That should get your Expertise up, 23 Expertise is the soft cap. You will see the most noticable threat increase from Expertise.

Yes I start with SS/Rev/Dev/Dev with using HS as a dump. Sometimes things don't work out quit perfectly like that but on the whole I try to keep that rotation when i have the rage for it.

Also how is HWNaj a bad example?

First, threat does not scale well against DPS that late in the game. Full T6 DPS doing their job will almost always have to hold back. Gone are the days of you sitting 50%+ above the nearest DPS and not having a care in the world.

For a bit of a boost, I would recommend Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx and Sunguard Legplates.

I'd also suggest as you are a Blacksmith to make the Red Havoc Boots or Jungle Stompers if Bear is being nice. - Resilient are more Stam but you gain more SBV for bigger SS hits.

Also agree with above posters about Expertise..I'd give up your Neck and Bracers for the Badge ones in a heartbeat..and you can swap to old bracers for more SBV when you get the Teron Guants imo.

Also, reason that Naj is horrible for testing TPS is the fact he bubbles on a timer making you take a gap in doing anything other then Shield Block..yes this is the same as DPS but still it applies. Best fight to test yourself for TPS is Teron hands down. Make sure you stack your group with a Feral Druid and Resto Sham for WF. If you have spares Enhance Sham is nicer :P

Edit: PS: Get T5 Shoulders - They are way better then T4 and give more nice boost to SS via SBV. and 2 set is nice if timed right Hrmm on 2nd glance you need a 2nd T5 piece for that ><

Yes I have the Red Havoc boots. I actually have an EH gear set and a Avoidance/threat set. the pieces i switch out are. Red Havoc Boots>Boots of Resiliance, T5 legs >Praetorian Leggins, T4 chest>Glory of the Defender.

Also for shoulders I have done VR about 24 times no luck. 2 times ive seen them drop but went to someone else in that time span. I have better luck ironically getting T6 shoulders soon. Hopefully this week infact.

Thanks for the advice im def going to go after the neck/bracers but which one should I grab first?

+ Reply to Thread