+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Tank - but I miss and have low damage

Prot Tank - but I miss and have low damage

Hi,

This is me .

In my haste to get geared so I can take up a roll as an OT for kara, I have neglected my equipment in terms of DPS.

Basically I miss a lot and don't do a lot of damage.. I am tired of burning through bandages while trying to get my dailies done.

Can anyone provide some quick fixes for me? I don't mind spending some gold on some items.

I hope to keep helping out in kara, off-tanking until my tank gear improves..

Obviously I need two gear sets... but what?

Thanks so much for advice.

First and foremost. Get a better spec. 1/0/60 is not the way to go. If you want to remain protection go for something like 12/5/44 or 8/5/48. There should be some good threads about spec found here.

Get anything you can that has hit on it. Get your hit up to 95 asap so you don't miss special attacks. Again if you wish to remain protection just get a decent enough fury set that you can swap gear and kill at a decent rate, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

In terms of gear sets, you'll end up with more than just two. I have 5 different tanking gear sets, 2 resistance sets, 1 fury set, and 1 pvp set at the moment.

Hmmmm , had a look and tbh m8 , at this point in time with your current gear standard you still need tanking stats( Stam , Def rat etc ) to totally cope in kara . So for untill the gear gets better not much . But when it does get better , Yellow gems for hit rat and some expertise on gear will make you miss alot less . The new leggings and Belt from the badge vendor gives hit and expertice which would help and the bracers of the ancient phalanx from the old badge vedor allso gives expertise so they might help.

As far as dailys and questing goes ... Welcome to the lonely life of the Prot warrior . Unless you have signifficantly good dps gear , dailys and such will remain a headache . Try grinding the full S1 pvp set ( AV weekends FTW :P ) or make good friends with a healer or dpser to grind with

Hope this helps
    Lio

Quote Originally Posted by Lionides View Post
    But when it does get better , Yellow gems for hit rat and some expertise on gear will make you miss alot less .
    I would advise against gemming tank gear specifically for hit because of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Lionides View Post
    The new leggings and Belt from the badge vendor gives hit and expertice which would help and the bracers of the ancient phalanx from the old badge vedor allso gives expertise so they might help.
    You will get enough hit and expertise from gear alone to be effective at tanking.

OP mentioned a second set of gear so I figured it was safe to assume he meant a second set of gear to put on for the purpose of doing dailies, was I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Stonetouch View Post
    I don't mind spending some gold on some items.
    Power level engineering and make [item]Tankatronic Goggles[/item] and [item]Furious Gizmatic Goggles[/item].

I found I used to have similar issues when doing dailies. Since i got some badge upgrades and some gear from Kara, I find questing in prot gear a breeze...at least against melee mobs.

When doing most dailies in IQL for SSO rep, most of the quests where you need to kill things are against melee...I have barely any downtime because they just can't do all that much damage.
    Even against casters it's ok, I put the shield on and bash away to stop casting.
    No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. - Terry Pratchett

Thankyou so much for advice.. Ill start by re-speccing some, and looking for +hit gear on AH.

I just wanted to clarify something that I made in error. You need 95 hit if you are dual wielding and have the fury talent precision. Otherwise you need 142 hit to not miss your specials.

Don't limit yourself to just plate, leather and mail could offer some decent slot upgrades for you. It would be beneficial to start rolling on some dps gear. Obviously, don't take it over dpser that would get an upgrade out of it. Just be mindful of your situation and how you can minimize questing / grinding downtime.

If your goal is strickly DPS and not "Tanking" I would not worry too much about gemming or having any enhancements for defense, stamina or dodge. I would concentrate more on Hit Rating and Strength. And Agility is really not viable since you need those slots for your hit and strength. Respec your talents so it'll give you more offense. (Prot tree is for Protection Warriors)

If your goal is a true OT; (Protection Warrior) which simply means you will be required to hold agro on mobs; you have to have a shield. Get your Defense to at least 490 and your Stamina as high as possible. This is a good Prot Tree.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?tal=250003010000000000000000000000000 000000000002055511032020123531351

(This is only a basic tree. But should give you an idea)

As a Prot Warrior, you don't need a high DPS. You need to hold agro and survive.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stormchaser View Post
    If your goal is a true OT; (Protection Warrior) which simply means you will be required to hold agro on mobs; you have to have a shield. Get your Defense to at least 490 and your Stamina as high as possible. This is a good Prot Tree.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?tal=250003010000000000000000000000000 000000000002055511032020123531351
    In that scenario that build is bad. You want 5/5 cruelty when farming. You'll most likely be spamming devastate when you farm so you'll want 3/3 imp sunder to make devastate as cheap as possible rage wise. Imp defensive stance is better suited for the MT role. Imp taunt and Imp shield bash are situational at best. I'd also consider 3/3 Imp HS.

I would go with this:
    WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator

That is the build I most commonly use although I am not specced that way right now.

my exact build ramnath, works perfectly for me too =]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

changing build asap:>

My goal is to be an MT, but not at the expense of being useless outside of an instance.

welcome to the world of MT'ing.

Just build up a good fury set while you tank, when you need to do dailies put on the fury gear and just dev spam/heroic strike.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Just build up a good fury set while you tank, when you need to do dailies put on the fury gear and just dev spam/heroic strike.
    This.

It's always a good idea when leveling up or gearing up to keep an eye out for a few pieces of gear that will help you along the way while you solo grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Yup. Collect spare fury warrior gear in raids or from quests. After a while, you'll have a decent set of DPS gear to use while MT speced. With melee DPS leftovers from raid drops and spamming devastate, I fly through pretty much any PVE content.

If DPS gear is slow in coming, you can also take an older shield, slap a shield spike on it, and do PVE grinding with that. Back when TBC came out, I did that with the PVP shield and worked my way through 61-70 in less than a week. You'll kill stuff slower, but you have virtually no downtime, so the time evens out compared to going DPS. The Petrified Lichen Guard from Sporeggar honored faction works well in this regard.

+ Reply to Thread