+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evensfell

Evensfell

Direct Download For This Podcast

Podcast Information
    Welcome to the world of Evensfell! This podcast introduces players to the story and background of browser-based game as well as detailed notes on some of the design philosophy. This is set to Greensleeves, a personal favorite.

Not listed in the podcast itself is the help that others in the community have been putting towards this project, with particular emphasis on Temig for his contributions.

Can't wait for it. Keep the podcasts coming.

Sounds amazing, Ciderhelm. Make sure you keep us updated on the progress of the game.

The timeline made me die a little.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Rofl. I hope I didn't make the timeline sound too dire. Website will be up ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by SionaAmanThul View Post
    Hey, podcast not showing up.
    Try refreshing/reloading. If all else fails the download link should work.

Sounds really interesting, I'll try to keep myself up to date!

hrm... I should probably get back to helping with this since I rarely raid now. Hit me up Cider, I'll try to get back on this asap.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Yep yep. Fully psyched for this. Great podcast. Let me know how I can help :0!
    The Raid - A feature length documentary following the lives of a group of virtual raiders.

This sounds very, very interesting. I'm looking forward to this.

Just a quick question: are those areas in the southeast portion of the map spelled "Venem" on purpose? Because I believe it's "venom". Pardon this poor English teacher's interjection...lol. That matter aside, it sounds fantastic. Keep up the great work!
    I'm not a raid boss, I just crush a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkchops View Post
    Just a quick question: are those areas in the southeast portion of the map spelled "Venem" on purpose? Because I believe it's "venom". Pardon this poor English teacher's interjection...lol. That matter aside, it sounds fantastic. Keep up the great work!
    Yes, purposefully different. Venemspine, Valen Tier, Twilis, Terag Fen and Windon Ayre are relics of the original world I drew back in 2001/2002, where I had avoided using many English words. Since I had developed a background for those particular lands I kept them.

I'll post a rough chronology of kingdoms to the new site once it's up.

Sounds awesome; I'm looking forward to seeing this. Also, I too am a big fan of Greensleeves.

One thing that struck me was your relationship between "legendary rating" and threat; On the one hand, it makes perfect sense and is logical, and seems like a relationship which should always have existed. On the other hand (and this is in no way a complaint), it seems like a bit too much of a coincidence that tanks turn out to be the most "legendary" characters. It's true, though; we are awesome.

That was a really lovely podcast, and not just because it was set to Greensleeves. I'm not sure if you wanted feedback on the game design you presented, but here is some anyway:

Most of what you said sounds really interesting, and something I'd like to play too. I've particularly enjoyed your description of how the world came to be as it was, your views on the amount of fantasy in the game, your approach to classes and crafting. Your comparison of WoW and Risk game design was revealing. So overall I'm looking forward to see how this game turns out.

Here's two elements of the game design that I'm not so sure about:

1. Tanking. Although your concept of legendary rating makes sense, players need their own niche where they can excel. For example in WoW when I play my mage I don't care if the tank is more or less accomplished than me, so long as their play is good enough to let me be a great mage. How is that going to work in Evensfell?

2. Turn-based combat. I understand there's all kind of technical and fairness reasons that combat must be turn-based but... I just don't know. I'm not sure I'd play it. It breaks immersion and I think it's really hard, though not impossible, to design turn-based combat that's fun for casual players.

At the risk of raising things that you already know well, here's two other browser-based games that you might want to take a look at:

Dofus (DOFUS :: MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). This is a cartoonish MMO implemented in flash. It's commercial. The main things to note here are that the game is fairly large, and it couples a turn-based combat engine with real-time exploration. You might take a look at it technically, although I must say I hated the turn-based combat.

BattleMaster (BattleMaster). This is a two-turns-a-day conquest and politics game. It's a low-tech engine that's just a stylized forum with text, tables, and the occasional picture of a map. However the game design is outstanding. Key concepts of the game are trust (you gain positions of power in a realm), balance (the map is in flux, but nobody wins), and communication with all its subtleties. The game is also, largely, a monograph, so you might want to meet the creator, Tom Vogt.

+ Reply to Thread