+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How far can I tank?

How far can I tank?

I'm an OT for my guild, so I rarely get the opportunity/chance to tank bosses. However, I'd like to know what I could tank if needed, in case our MTs are not available. Not which bosses I "might" be able to tank, but who I should be able to successfully down with decent healers and DPS. I'm refering to post-Kara and 5mans

This is my "tank bosses" gear set.... I think. My hit and expertise can be improved if I use my "tank trash" gear set, but I lose a lot of EH/Avoidance.

Also any easy/quick gear suggestions are always appreciated.

The World of Warcraft Armory
    Ardalan - Tank
    Guild: Momentum
    Server: Scarlet Crusade

I'll leave this to the others, I might be subjective to my old Wolfy =P

okay okay i'll give it a shot:

I think you could easily do SSC/TK your avoidance is sound, your EH is decent, there are some minor upgrades here or there for your pieces and some of the gemming is questionable, but again, once you reach EH minimums, avoidance/threat are your best stats.

Nice Expertise btw.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

TEACH ME OH GREAT KAZ! I neeeeeed it!

Regem me plz. Seriously. I suck at gemming.
    Ardalan - Tank

helm: gemmed okay, i like the old ZG enchant personally, the stam/def/sbv one but that one is good too.
    neck is good, brooch is arguably better.
    Shoulders: fine
    cloak: fine, could've gone with +armor too, but either is good since that cloak is both dodge and armor
    chest: great
    wrists: fine
    weapon/shield/gun: fine
    gloves: why t4? I really don't like em, most people don't, i understand the benefits of the 2 set (which isn't much in all honesty) and the pure avoidance it gives, so keep it for an avoidance set, but maidens are better, bonefists are way better. enchant with 2% threat for maiden/bonefist
    belt: that's fine, socket bonus isn't too wasted
    legs: I'm a bit confused, if i was using these legs for an avoidance set, i'd keep it gemmed the way you have it probably, but if it was my primary tanking legs, i'd probably just stil all +12 stams in them, they're just so sexy in terms of stam, but of course with 2.4 badge legs and 2.3 badge legs as well, they take the cake, so you might want to leave this leg as is for an avoidance swap later on, but grab the legs (either one imo) and make em Stam/EH kings.

boots: fine maybe boarspeed for those moving fights?
    rings: kara ring good, other right weird. uhh, there's lots of rings out there, the new badge ring with dodge is sexy as hell, but you also have [item]Band of Determination[/item] which is good, or a bunch of others, for now that other ring is good cuz of the hp it gives.

Trinkets: you're good, but maybe just try for commendation of kael.

I would drop that terribad druid tanking ring you're using and get the badge one

You would be good for most of ssc/tk. Kael would give you fits as might Vashj and Morogrimm.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

The only other tanky style ring I have now is Ad____ Tear. My rings suck. The badge ring is my next target, but it's a little way's off.

As for leggings: I don't have a badge income ATM to get either of the new leggings. Otherwise I'd have em. I figure I'm waiting on T5 pants, but until then, you think I should just regem full stam?

As for the gloves: Just use Maidens, end of story? I'd like to get Bonefist or T5 at some point, but again, badges = teh suck for me. I'd stick with 10 stam over threat tho. I've never had trouble with threat (so far). But I can see how that might not be true in a 25 man.

Belt: Should I just +15 stam it?

Guys, thanks so much! I want to get BETTER!
    Ardalan - Tank

10 stam is meh compared to 2% threat on threat gloves. I personally dont like bonefist. I used tier5 over them with tier5 shoulders for the 2set bonus. You honestly will hit the point that you have enough stamina and it comes to fine tuning your other stats. I personally went for threat over survival. I figured the faster we could down a boss, the less attacks I would need to avoid. I am not a fan of the tier5 leggings. unwavering unwavering unwavering. I dont even like the 2.4 badge ones tbh I've noticed that my sbv has dropped alot in the current gear level I have come across so my snap agro has diminished alot. Which is bad for as many of the agro dumping fights there are along the way.

Though you might try asking your dps. Tell them to be honest. "Do you seem restricted by my threat?" if they say yes, go 2%. If no, then eh, whatever go with 10stam. You never know, you might be holding them back they just arent saying anything. (Not saying you are, just something I have noticed with alot of tanks/dps relationship.)

You are definately ready to tank in ssc/tk though. Tons of improvements along the way too

Oh and for gloves...I only use my t4 (which I still use on occassion) when I need avoidance. Maidens gauntlets are superior to them otherwise...and the t4 2piece is not something i'd hold my breath over losing....t5 2piece on the other hand... I am still trying to debate that one as to whether it was worth breaking or not
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better

So for my current legs.... Someone said somewhere that +6 stam was worth gemming for, so that's why I gemmed the way I did. Should I go +12stam for each?

Now, you see my gear. Do I go Badge Ring, Unwavering, or Bonefist for my next upgrade? I'm also after some upgrades in ZA, namely the Chestguard of the Warlord.
    Ardalan - Tank

In all honesty, i only ever gemmed for maybe 2 socket bonuses. One was my iron-tusk girdle just because I was goofing off...and the other is my tankatronic goggles because I gained 3 defense by not gemming 12stam and kept the same amount of stam. Your pants are fine. In all honesty, I have lately come to the conclusion that 12stam is not a huge deal. If you want to toss a small bit of avoidance in in return of the 12stam...you wont notice much of a difference. You're safely in the EH guide limits for ssc/tk, so it doesnt really matter whether you gem for EH or Avoidance if you ask me. Others may disagree, but I've been tweaking my gear lately for a bit more avoidance and in tier5 i actually sacrificed about 600hp for more threat/avoidance. It turned out to be better. Your best bet, is to do the same. Play with your gear. Spend some gold, test things, and see which you find fits your playstyle the best.

Agreed with klor.

i socket for bonuses some times .. generally when the bonus is stam, ill put a dodge/stam or something along that lines in, just to get a little bonus avoidance. ive got nearly 17k unbuffed hp in my EH gear so loosing 30hp or what ever the case is not huge

+ Reply to Thread