+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OT promoted to MT kara group 2 - Evaluation?

Looking for an evaluation from the Pros

Hi All,

I have tanked kara up through Prince phase 2. No real trouble until then with the occasional crushing/parry gib.. My threat is good for our dps'ers, around 1100-1300 tps with rage and not yet holding them back. I'm currently running Heroic Mech for the Suneater to pick up an avoidance weapon.

I have a full time job and 3 kids so I need to focus my playtime. I'm probably looking at weeks of farming to get up to 100 badges. I've read all the badge pick order lists and will probably get the 2.4 belt. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something since I'm currently pimping out blues in all the badge upgrade slots. Since threat is not an issue for me yet, is there a better survivability upgrade for me?

The guild has started ZA and I'll be OT in there soon.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Jalexander

The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by Jalexander; 04-29-2008 at 06:22 AM.

I have read all the gear listings threads. I guess my biggest question is, since right now I have very little badge gear and, which would be the biggest gear upgdrade for me:

1) Waist (Shatari Vindicator's Waistguard) to the 2.4 belt?
    2) Felsteel Leggings to the 2.3 legs @ 75 or save up for the 2.4 legs @ 100 badges
    3) Upgrade Devilshark cape to Slikk's now & start saving again for the 2.4 belt

I have 45 badges now so both the 2.4 belt and 2.3 legs are fairly close.

After months of kara runs, the only tank drop I got was the Battlescar boots from chess. I've gotten way more fury warrior drops unfortunately.

Thanks,

Jalexander
    Last edited by Jalexander; 04-29-2008 at 06:22 AM.

Alright in looking over your char the first thing I notice is your def isn't at 490, not sure what the math is looking like for your mitigation at the moment to be honest. I would take that darkmoon faire card out and either swap in a Figurine of the Colossus - Items - World of Warcraft or even the trinket that you get from Violet eye with stam and arcane resist would be better than that card. I would also drop the band of determination in favor of a ring with more tank based stats, perhaps one that has +def on it to bring you up to the 490 defense you need to have. I would honestly say if you are truly planning on becoming an MT your focus and priority should be on hitting uncrushable and uncrittable as quickly as possible. I can't speak from experience what those numbers need to be at for a warrior tank unfortunately but there are a number of resources on this very site that should help pull you through.

Give it all a look.

Kel

Quote Originally Posted by Kelstet View Post
    Alright in looking over your char the first thing I notice is your def isn't at 490, not sure what the math is looking like for your mitigation at the moment to be honest. I would take that darkmoon faire card out and either swap in a Figurine of the Colossus - Items - World of Warcraft or even the trinket that you get from Violet eye with stam and arcane resist would be better than that card. I would also drop the band of determination in favor of a ring with more tank based stats, perhaps one that has +def on it to bring you up to the 490 defense you need to have. I would honestly say if you are truly planning on becoming an MT your focus and priority should be on hitting uncrushable and uncrittable as quickly as possible. I can't speak from experience what those numbers need to be at for a warrior tank unfortunately but there are a number of resources on this very site that should help pull you through.

Give it all a look.

Kel
    The reason why he's below 490 is because he has 2 pvp items that put him uncrittable anyways. So he's safe. About uncrushability he's already there, any naked level 70 warrior spec'd prot can hit Shield Block and be uncrushable.

I have to disagree about dropping the tanking ring though, that is an awesome ring. the expertise, armor and stam from it make it a great ring. keep it until later.

The darkmoon faire card is indeed a replaceable item, grab a stam trinket (violet badge, or the best there is right now and go to heroic magister's terrace and grab the Commendation of Kael'thas).

I'd say since you're mostly using pvp and crafted gear you should start using your badges to pick up the badge upgrades. Use: The Badge Pick Order: 2.4 Edition - Warriors - TankingTips.com Veneretio's guide to pick the order. Eventually you'll want to grab most of those. But for the most part your gear is solid for tanking kara, you reach all avoidance and hp/armor minimums so kara away! Just run heroics when you're not doing kara to grab badges, and slowly upgrade in the order linked above.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Yep - I'm adding up my def+res at all times to make sure I'm always above 490. I have the violet badge & dabiris trinkets to replace the darkmoon card for boss fights. The card is a left over from my old fury days which I still like using on trash for the shield slam crits.

Thanks very much for the advice - I'll get working on those tweaks. I'm fairly close to getting the 2.4 belt. Definitely need to kick up the heroic runs a notch.

Best Regards,

Jalexander

Not a problem, please keep in mind when I say drop something I mean bank it not get rid of it. I've got 3 bags of gear in the bank that I swap around depending on what's going on (a blue set for tanking 5's and most heroics as well) as is stated alot on this site hang on to all you come across because you find yourself swapping alot. As a pally tank it's alot tougher to gear effectively as our gearing is mainly just a delicate dance on the edge of most stats dancing. As I stated earlier I wasn't sure the effect of some of the PVP oriented stats have on tanking stats IE resilience and what not, so I apologize if I steered you wrong in that respect. Otherwise, keep it up.

Kel

Your be imba is looking good honestly, looks like you swapped somethings around as well. Be Imba! - the online Character Auditor for World of Warcraft
    Last edited by Kelstet; 05-01-2008 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Adding a be imba link

The only thing that doesn't look that hot is your chest.

If you're aldor there is an easy fix just buying one off the rep vendor. If not its a bit more difficult. Check out Polar's easy Kara gear thread.

He's not aldor, and he's a weaponsmith as opposed to an armorsmith so the BS chest is out. Your best bet for a chestpiece would be to get S1/S2/S3, depending on how much you pvp.

I think you should still follow Venny's BoJ pick order and get the belt for 75 badges first and foremost. Your threat may be fine right now, but as you get more armor and avoidance you'll be grateful for the extra threat. The belt is also a pretty significant EH upgrade compared to what you're wearing now, so it's not like your neglecting your tanking stats.

And I agree with the previous poster who said to keep the band of determination! It's got expertise, armor and sta. It's itemized just as well as those items with armor, sta and defense, or sta defense and dodge.

Thanks again. Chest piece has always been my biggest hurdle I think. I picked Scryer before I made the swap from fury to tank so it hurts to miss out on the Aldor breast plate. I don't see Nightbane in my future anytime soon as my kara group still needs to gear up and get the mats to summon him.

In the meantime, I'm working some PvP now to get the S1 chest while I build up arena for the S3.......if only my slacker team partners would log on more reliably. lol

Jalexander

+ Reply to Thread