+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want to threaten you!

I want to threaten you!

Hi all,

I'm your standard early-Kara raiding tank. Picking out "tank gear" is pretty easy. It has has Armor, Stamina and Defense rating. Great. The problem I have is that now my defense is unnecessarily high and my threat generation isn't good enough. To wit:

The World of Warcraft Armory

So the question is what is the most efficient way to increase my threat generation. Here are some random thoughts on how I can improve:

1) Get the 2% threat glove enchant. Just waiting till I can afford it.
    2) Buy Brooch of Deftness. This will increase my expertise + hit

After that I start to draw a blank. Anyone have any suggestions on good items I can look for to increase my:

- expertise
    - hit
    - shield block

without giving up TOO much defense? Yes, I know I can use Thottbot or any of the many guides, but it's a bit of a challenge to try to weigh the pros and cons of availability, cost, opportunity cost and whatnot so I was hoping from some help. Any suggestions are welcome!

1) Pick up the Unwavering Leggings which have more armor, stamina as well as has Shield Block Value which can help your threat.
    2) Run Steam Vaults for the Devilshark Cloak.
    3) For bracers, pick up the Bracers of Ancient Phalanx which has more defense, stamina, and expertise rating.
    4) Enchant your weapon. Also, put a better enchant on your shoulders (scryer/aldor rep one) and 150 HP to chest.

Just some quick thoughts.

Good thoughts Cynocide. Also, do not be afraid to swap a piece or two of tanky gear out for something more dps-ish. A couple more badge items to consider:
    [item]Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 600[/item]
    [item]Girdle of the Fearless[/item]
    Summon Wombat
    Rabid Wombat gets +2/+2 for each creature enchantment on it.

All good suggestions. I just need to farm my badges faster.

Also, do not be afraid to swap a piece or two of tanky gear out for something more dps-ish.
    Aye, but what? My neck, wrists, belt are obviously weak points of my gear and ripe to be swapped out, but I don't see a lot of really good offensive items for those slots. Again, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback.

Your looking for items with +hit, +expertise, and +block value if you want to increase your threat. The upgrades posted in the previous responses fit the exact spots your looking to fill.

Neck
    [item]Brooch of Deftness[/item]
    [item]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve[/item]

Wrist
    [item]Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx[/item]

Waist
    [item]Girdle of the Fearless[/item]

I used to equip the [item]Mithril Chain of Heroism[/item] when I could, that is until I got the badge neck.

The cloak from Moroes or Shade is a decent aggro item as well, there are some decent quest reward blues that would fit the bill too.
    Vexed
    Bronzebeard - US

I think one of the biggest problems with new tanks that I see (and it was certainly true of me when I first started) was not only gear but rotation. Make sure you are for the most part following the whole SS, Rev, Dev, Dev as well as Heroic Striking. There is no reason why your rage bar should ever be full and if it is, spam HS that should help a lot. Also, if your threat is an "issue" with the raid tell them to give you the Poison Vial next time it drops off the Opera event and say screw the whiny rogue. You putting out more TPS lifts the threat cap for the entire raid, so you should take priority there.

1) Pick up the Unwavering Leggings which have more armor, stamina as well as has Shield Block Value which can help your threat.
    May as well not buy [item]Unwavering Legguards[/item] now and just pick up the new [item]Sunguard Legplates[/item] for 25 more badges.

I would imagine the expertise would be a larger increase in threat and it is a more well rounded item.
    The beast is getting hungrier.

Cynocide's suggestions are really good. The badge bracers are really good. I would recommend trying to pick up a Sun Eater while you're trying to get more badges. It took me quite a few heroic mech runs and even more kara runs before I got my king's defender.

A few more immediate items to consider:

Spaulders of Dementia

Sun Eater

Sha'tari Vindicator

-Edit-
    Also I didn't look at your spec before posting. At Kara you pretty much won't need 5/5 demo shout, I'd recommend taking some of those points and putting it into Shield Mastery because this will scale up your SBV some so it'll up the dmg and threat of your shield slam ability.
    Last edited by deefe; 04-17-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Spec

+ Reply to Thread