+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few questions concerning my gear...

A few questions concerning my gear...

Hello. I have a few questions about my gear, but first, a little background. I have been in my current guild for about a year now. I joined as a Holy Paladin and raided all the way up until we started SSC/TK. At this point I encountered "Healer Burnout" and quit raiding to work on alts. Amazingly enough, this little Warrior alt, has become my new main. I love tanking. It has put a whole new spin on the game for me. It has even gotten me into leading Karazhan raids as well. People say I am good at tanking and at raid leading. But I have some questions which I will move on to now.

The World of Warcraft Armory

This is my Armory. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. As you can see, I have some Kara Epics, and a couple of the new badge rewards. It is quite obvious that I need new shoulders. My guild is trying to help me get T5 ones off of VR. And I also have King's Defender with Executioner on it for threat.

1. How could I improve my threat generation without taking to big of a defensive hit? As of now I can tank heroics just fine. But in a tougher raid situation, my threat output is not enough usually. Off-Tanking Gruul (Taking the slaps), means having Hunters MD to me. As I said before, a lot of people in my guild have raided more than this character. They do a good bit of DPS.

2. How far would this gear take me? As I said before, my guild is trying to help me get T5 shoulders. I understand I won't be waltzing into Hyjal anytime soon as MT, but could I, with this setup MT High King or Gruul? What about Magtheridon or Lurker? How far could I go you think?

3. Are there any obvious upgrades that I should shoot for other than new shoulders? I am 38 badges away from The new badge chestplate. Anything else I should go for?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    .Sick

I would first look at the rotation that you are using. It should look something like this Dev/Dev/Rev/SS rinse and repeat. Your gear looks completely acceptable for SSC/TK. The only thing I can think of is your rotation. Try and max that out and see if it helps with your threat gen. And maybe up your hit a bit. You have lots of expertise which should help a lot but, I would also try upping your hit. That should also help a ton with a lot less misses.

Thank you for the reply. Since I am at work, and have nothing better to do than to monitor this thread, I'll reply.:P

As for my rotation, you might be right. I always open up with SS, and use it every cooldown. I basically SS then Devastate until SS is back up, and Rev whenever possible.I'm guessing it would looking something like SS/Dev/Dev/Rev or something like that. I have seen (and heard on the podcast that SS/Rev/Dev/Dev is best. I shoot for this but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Whenever I have to refresh my Shield Block or Shouts, I try my best to cast them instead of a Devastate as opposed to SS or Revenge. One thing I am not super proficient with is remembering to HS when I am above X amount of Rage. I usually end up seeing myself around 80 or more rage and then remembering to use HS.

Also, Would the Brooch of Deftness be worth the 35 badges for the increase to hit? I know it's good, but seeing as how my expertise is decent, is 35 badges worth the hit increase? Also, doesn't the shield from Gruul have hit on it? I could try for that also I guess.

Thanks again
    .Sick

I'll bite.

Firstly, there are a number of things you can do to increase your TPS without changing gear.

Using a correct rotation, as mentioned, can be a huge boost. But it sounds like you're already doing that.
    Second thing is tightening your rotation. Essentially this involves spamming an ability button, as each press is sent to the server and you can potentially be reducing the time between abilities by 200-300ms. That's huge considering that the GCD is only 1500. So you're reducing your lag to 0, and using an ability every 1.5s. So a full rotation can take as little as 6seconds.
    Thirdly, get a stable connection. Personally, I put stability above speed. If you're getting a constant latency, there's less random periods where due to lag, your rotation's being slowed down. Speed's important, just so you can be doing everything you need to be at once [in 5mans, I got 900ms out of 56k in NZ. It was totally playable since my connection was rock solid].

I'll go ahead and answer your third question here. Basically what I do is for each slot, consider what a piece of gear is going to do. I have a 'best in slot' for x role. For example, I have three roles I gear towards. EH, Avoidance and Threat. If there is a piece of badge gear that will replace your current 'best in slot' in effectiveness, get it. Also, focus each enchant towards the role, gems are a little different since I either want or don't want the socket bonus, which is kinda subjective.

For gloves, I have three on me at any one time. For the three roles.
    [item]Bonefist Gauntlets[/item] with a 240 armor kit as my EH gloves.
    [item]Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden[/item] with 15Agi as my avoidance gloves.
    [item]Justicar Handguards[/item] with 2% threat as my threat gloves.

Get all the gear pieces you need, but it's upto you to decide how badly you need what, and what will give you the largest buff.

Lastly, your second question.

Gearing yourself for an encounter is dynamic and extremely subjective. It depends on your raid on the night and the boss you're fighting. Having gear setup like I've described above lets you have a lot of control over what you're bringing to the table as a tank, and lets you make up for others shortcommings.

A tank with multiple gearsets, who isn't afraid to change things around to maximize his potential is A+ in my books.

I'll try to monitor this thread for the next little bit.

Again, thanks for the reply. And yes, multiple gear sets i something I am working towards. But my guild currently has their 25-man MT's. I do Kara every week for upgrades/badges. And I try to get in on whatever 25-man I can. Gear is coming slowly from instances now, but the badge gear is staying fresh.

As for a connection, I run on a 10-mbit/1-mbit Cable Connection. My ISP is Mediacom. I am located in "The Deep South" US and I believe my Server is supposed to be an "Eastern" server. According to my FuBar plugin, My latency varies between 40ms to 200ms. Usually around 120ms in Raids and such.

By looking at the items you linked, (I need to learn to do that also.), I realize I could really do well with that +2% Glove Enchant. I will be doing Karazhan this week, and if I do not get the T4 Gloves token, I might slap the threat enchant on my Maiden gloves. That should help a little bit.

.Sick

Linking items is simple, just do [ item ]Name of Item[ /item ] without the spaces, and voila, [item]Brooch of Deftness[/item].

Edit: Get that neck item btw if you don't already have it.

+ Reply to Thread