Thread: Fathomlord Totem running

Fathomlord Totem running

Our guild killed Fathomlord last night for the first time (yay casual progression!), but I had a question I'd like to post to you vets.

Our kill order was Shaman - Hunter - Hunter pet - Priest - Karathress. I was on Karathress and moving him back and forth out of his spitfire totems once he got the buff. I've always been pretty careful about not exposing my back to bosses .. but the spitfire was pretty damaging and I found myself sprinting to the other position.

1. Do you guys back away from the spitfire slowly or sprint for a safe spot?

2. What avoidance do you lose when your back is exposed to a boss - parry? I'm assuming if I had enough dodge/block that with my shield block I wouldn't get crushed.

As it stood, I just hovered close by my 'oh no' buttons while running. Using my pocketwatch if/when it's up -- but ready for a quick click if not.

.. and no he didn't drop my Frayed Tether.

First kills are always a little chaotic, just looking to fine tune my part for the future here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuunks View Post
    Our guild killed Fathomlord last night for the first time (yay casual progression!), but I had a question I'd like to post to you vets.

Our kill order was Shaman - Hunter - Hunter pet - Priest - Karathress. I was on Karathress and moving him back and forth out of his spitfire totems once he got the buff. I've always been pretty careful about not exposing my back to bosses .. but the spitfire was pretty damaging and I found myself sprinting to the other position.

1. Do you guys back away from the spitfire slowly or sprint for a safe spot?

2. What avoidance do you lose when your back is exposed to a boss - parry? I'm assuming if I had enough dodge/block that with my shield block I wouldn't get crushed.

As it stood, I just hovered close by my 'oh no' buttons while running. Using my pocketwatch if/when it's up -- but ready for a quick click if not.

.. and no he didn't drop my Frayed Tether.

First kills are always a little chaotic, just looking to fine tune my part for the future here.
    You can't dodge from behind, you can't block from behind and im pretty sure you can't parry. Best way to do it is to stand on the platform, when it spawns move to the middle of the room out of range. It will despawn and then go back to the original position.
    Nom Nom NOM =D

Wouldn't strafing to the side allow you to still block? I know when fighting on a caster, strafing sideways allows you to run away at max speed but you can still throw your instas without LOS'ing.

Rogues do it from behind, but Druids do it on all fours.
    The Family Business - [A] Burning Blade

Quote Originally Posted by kittikat View Post
    Wouldn't strafing to the side allow you to still block? I know when fighting on a caster, strafing sideways allows you to run away at max speed but you can still throw your instas without LOS'ing.

Yeh but all it takes is having to cut a corner or move cos of the pet to have 2 put your back to the boss get crushed.. die and then wipe your raid.
    Nom Nom NOM =D

Running sideways allows you to dodge, parry and block attacks while running away from boss. I've been tanking Karathress on all kills so far and I just move it between two spots as the totems appear.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

I've always just ran as he starts to cast the totem. We kite him back and forth across the room. You healers need to be aware that you are going to move and be ready be ready for it. I usually just have one healer on me while I tank him until the shammy dies, then a healer from the shammy comes over and helps with the heals during the kiting. Congrats on the kill!

Strafe away at max speed as soon as it drops or you will probably kill one of your healers. Even if you do get crushed, he hits like a girl, so it doesn't matter.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

You can intervene to your healers to get out of there fast and moving across the room. I've only done the fight once as a tank and I recall him hitting moderately hard. I kinda half backed, half strafed away a little clumsily.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Strafing is the way to go on this fight. If he stops to cast his little aoe thing you can turn and run, but if not you'll need to strafe. While he doesn't hit terribly hard, if your healers are slow on the transition or he gains the beast within, you really don't want to take the risk of taking those hits.

Personally I just walk backwards from the totems and continue tanking. Never noticed any issue with the totem damage and usually have at least one paladin healer up there with me (who often takes a shot from the totem as well )

We do it completly different...

Killorder is: Hunter -> Hunter Pet -> Shaman -> Priest -> Karathress...

While people kill the hunter Totems are completly ignored, however the tank on the shammy has 2 healers spamming him, and then we have a designated healer healing those 2... This is done so only the 2 healers and the tank gets hit by spitfire... no one else.

After killing the hunter the healer for that tank moves to the MT tanking Karathress and helps out there. And we then kill the shaman. Here we take out the totems, when all DPS focuses on this task the totems stays up for a few secs tops... After hes dead 2 healers move to help on boss. And we begin on the priest...

After the Shaman is dead the boss is slowly kitet to avoid the spitfire totem as much as posible... but other than that we again just more or less heals throug it...