Thread: Need more gear for Kara?

Need more gear for Kara?

I joined a guild that has just started kara. We've run Kara around 5-6 times already but i get complaints saying my TPS is too low. So i got Omen to watch what it actually is during Curator and Prince. Normally its around 650-750 with some spikes to 1000-1200. One person suggested it to be my gear, another said it was my talent build. Which could it be? I'm open to any suggestions i can possibly get.

The World of Warcraft Armory

If you're with DPS that significantly outgear you're going to have a hard time letting them go all out, but there's still some changes you can make.

Drop Imp. Defensive Stance and put the points into Imp Heroic Strike. After doing that, with your relatively low hps/avoidance/armor, you should be getting enough rage to spam Heroic Strike. Imp. Defensive Stance doesn't have a lot of use in Kara.

Drop Imp Shield Wall and put a point in Anger Management (basically gives you a free full rage bar every 5 minutes) and the last point Imp. Sunder Armor.

Do every SSO daily you can as often as possible until your exalted. Then pick up the [item]Dawnforged Defender[/item] and [item]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve[/item]. Those are both large survivability upgrades and threat pieces. On your way to exalted with SSO farm [item]Shard of Contempt[/item] and [item]Commendation of Kael'thas[/item]. Those two trinkets are significantly better than the ones you have.

Farm badges until your eyes bleed.

Shield Slam -> Revenge -> Devastate -> Devastate. HS whenever over 40 or so rage.

My next question is, when does imp. defensive stance come into play? Is there a point in time when i may have to respec. to imp def. stance again? So my spec should be similar to yours correct? Thank you for the reply. I was starting to doubt myself for a while.
    Last edited by Embargo; 04-14-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Imp. Defensive Stance is never a required talent by any stretch. Some people swear by it in Tier 5 and beyond where magic damage is more common. IMHO it's better to just spend a bit more time getting the appropriate resist gear than wasting 3 talent points that are effective in so few battles. To put it another way, if you spec out of it for more threat you'll never miss it. However, if you eventually spec out of threat and into Imp. Defensive Stance you will definitely notice the treat reduction. Since you didn't mention any survivability issues I'm guessing you have pretty overgeared healers and most likely overgeared DPS. In that case you have very little choice but to spec and gear for threat as much as possible without gimping yourself.

Yea, our most of our healers are overgeared. With the exception of a few that are also in Kara for some gear. Our dps is however kind of split. Some are overgeared, some aren't. Most of them that have better gear are in larger guild that have progressed further. I guess with those two combined it may also make me look a little bad in my current state. Thanks for your reply. I was a little worried about being laughed at for the most part. Again, thanks for your help.

IMO, imp heroic strike has few uses. When you're in a situation where you spam heroic strike, you're burning off rage so you don't waste it. The 3 rage is a bit inconsequential when you're spiking above your personal rage cap. If you're using it, you're mostly pairing it with Anger Management, which has some use when you're off-tanking. I'd look more into picking up more expertise and hit rating before moving talent points over like that.

I should also add that I used to swear by that threat build, but with the release of Expertise, I've never had any threat issues unless a DPS facemashes the keyboard in a desperate attempt to "pwnt the damage meters"