Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hex Lord Malacrass Advice

Hex Lord Malacrass Advice

My guild has just started working on Hex Lord, and needless to say we had some troubles. Our group setup looked like this:
    Prot Pally (me)
    Prot War
    Rogue
    S. Priest
    Holy Priest
    Holy Pally
    Holy Pally/Resto Druid (Switched out the pally for the druid when the pally had to go)
    Mage
    Warlock
    Hunter

Our best attempt had him about 8%, but all other tries were 20-50% wipes (even when we tried the same strat as the 8% try). The Adds we got were Alyson(priest), Lord Raadan(Dragonkin), Darkheart(Undead), and Fenstalker (Elemental). What we ended up doing for the 8% wipe, was have me tank Hex Lord, Warrior tanked the adds, then DPSed Hex Lord. We Took down Alyson first, while the druid slept the draognkin, and hunter trapped him if Alyson was still up before sleep wore, then we killed the dragonkin. The lock and the S. Priest then kept the elemental and undead banished and shackled for the rest of the fight. The problem never really seemed to be with tanking, as no matter if I MTed and the war took the adds, or if I took the adds and the war MTed, we were usually the last 2 to die. The problem we seemed to have is CC breaking and owning our DPS, or if we tried to kill all the adds, the heals going OOM. Most of our ppl have a good amount of Kara/badge gear, some more than others.

So, I am wondering, is there a different strat we should be trying? How many adds should we be looking to kill on a progression attempt for us? Or should we try and become a bit more geared before really trying again, as we are able to get 2 timed chests, and kill all 4 animals reliably now.

Kill any add that you don't think you can keep CC'd 100% of the time, and anything that a healer is sleeping / shackling. Don't have any of them offtanked for any length of time with out killing them.

If you're comfortable with your CC, you can leave the adds CC'd. If your warlock is really good with a banish timer and can keep the elemental under control all the time, it's not a big deal, but if any adds are getting loose, you're better off killing them.

A bit of shadow resist couldn't hurt to help out on healer mana. If you're holy priest is CoH spec (which is really good for ZA) try to have the groups stack up to really abuse it, that should help with mana. Hopefully your shadow priest is in the healer group.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    If your warlock is really good with a banish timer and can keep the elemental under control all the time, it's not a big deal, but if any adds are getting loose, you're better off killing them.
    Banish is generally a bad idea. You can't refresh it while its up. If it breaks during spirit bolts the warlock cannot rebanish while getting pummeled by bolts.

I know several guilds who work with CC's throughout the fight, for mine it always seemed to lead to our healers getting hammered on CC breaks. Now we simply kill them all. In your case, we would probably kill the dragonkin first while mage keeps Alyson sheeped, that way our resto druid can stay in tree-form without worrying about sleeping. We'd probably move to the shackle then to free up the priest's worries, then the sheep and the banish lastly. Alternatively, since Alyson is extremely squishy, you could burn her first. But as a general rule, we down all the adds, it simplifies the fight and takes out a large element of luck/human error that can be involved with managing CC throughout the encounter.

Most warlocks doing ZA will probably have nether protection in their spec, which makes it pretty easy to keep banishes going. I have 1/3 in nether protection, and procs at least once every volley of shadow thingies.

Make sure your healers are all stacked into the group with the holy paladin, and the holy paladin should be running concentration aura, hopefully with imp conc aura talented.

The warlock should be hitting shadow ward every time it's off cooldown.

leave what you can CC'd.

All that said, this fight is as much of a dps race as anything. The MT has a very long time to build a whole lot of threat in advance, so the DPS should be able to just open up as soon as the adds are dealt with. It's critical that the MT manage the abilities of the boss carefully (don't stand in consecrate, don't stand in rain of fire, interrupt heals) and the healers need to be very careful also (don't stand in rain of fire, don't dispell unstable affliction). Your mage's first priority needs to be dispelling curse of doom. It is very very bad, it will kill just about everyone but the tanks.

One trick we have our warlock using:
    downrank the first banish. (I can't recall how far)
    this way, the first banish is off sync with the shadow dot, so he can easily rebanish without being pushed back. and oh yeah, you want everybody to collapse onto your CoH priest and/or a shaman as healers, and have everybody have at least 9k hp buffed, so they survive the shadow dots no matter what.

Since Hexlord does not drain power until he is at around 80%, always kill all adds before going to Hexlord, its not worth the risk of a cc breaking later on when Hexlord is at 20% and already grown quite a bit.

Have warror tank him away from group and tell him to wear max avoidance/mitigation gear with no regard to threat and keeping three things active at all times, demo shout, thunderclap and shieldblock(as offtanking High King Maulgar) with his finger on shield bash to stop any spells.

When all the adds are dead, it becomes much easier, but of you dont kick 2-3 of his 50 000 heals, you might as well be unequpping some of your stuff to save some money on durability loss.

Get people to wear a little SR guear, our healers wear the neck and cloak, it downs some of the healing requirements. Kill all the adds before moving onto the boss, your not looking for a speedy kill, your looking for a kill. MT wants to get as close to uncrushable as he can get and just focus on staying alive, even in a set like this he should be able to get some decent TPS. Also its very important everyone understands what to do on the siphons.

Bosskillers

Per class instructions on how to deal with the Siphon:

Druid - Melee (especially dual-wielders) stop attacking in order to prevent being hit for over 200 damage per attack from Thorns. Spellsteal (or Dispel/Purge) the Lifebloom as soon as Malacrass casts it. The Moonfire is not a big deal.

Hunter - The traps dropped are visible to the raid, so, as soon as the tank spots one, he has to kite Malacrass away from it quickly, with the melee following closely. The Freezing Trap freezes several persons (unlike the Hunter version). The snakes are easily killed with light AoE.

Mage - The Fireballs and Frostbolts are randomly targeted and can be interrupted. With good interrupts, this class drain is very easy. Since there is no additional AoE in melee range, the low damage Frost Nova is a non issue. Dispelling it is not needed.

Paladin - The Consecrate hits for 2,500 per tick and the tank and melee should move out of it very quickly. Dispel/Purge/Spellsteal Avenging Wrath as soon as it comes up: the extra damage dealt is very nasty. Interrupt Holy Light like you would with any heal.

Priest - Put Fear Ward on the MT once the Priest drain starts, CC the Mind Controlled players (the Mind Control lasts for 20 seconds) and interrupt the heals.

Rogue - Cure the Wound Poison quickly and pump up the healing because of the increased damage caused by Slice and Dice. The Blind doesn't seem to target the Malacrass tank, so it isn't a great problem. It is, however, undispellable.

Shaman - Interrupt Chain Lightning and Healing Wave. When Malacrass drops a Fire Nova Totem, kill it quickly. It does a lot of damage, but has very few hit points, so a quick focused burst from the DPS team will prevent it from firing.

Warlock - Decurse the Curse of Doom, make sure not to dispel the Unstable Affliction and spread out to minimize Rain of Fire damage. Rain of Fire ticks for 3,000 damage, so run out of it quickly.

Warrior - Save Disarm for the Warrior drain. If Malacrass does get a Mortal Strike in, constantly cast heals on the tank until the debuff wears off. Be aware of the Spell Reflect; stop casting when you see it. The Whirlwind has a short cast time, but it does hit for around 7,000 hit points on leather. It's possible to run out of it, but you need to react very quickly. Melee with slower reflexes might want to wait this phase out from a distance or bandage up after getting hit.
    Oh and bare in mind that your warrior should keep disarm off cooldown all the time because he can always be disarmed.
    Nom Nom NOM =D

We CC as many of them for the entire fight and just nuke the boss quickly. If we have to OT one of them then that add has to die first.

Quote Originally Posted by a44v589 View Post
    All that said, this fight is as much of a dps race as anything.
    I think this fight is a bit of a gear check. The DPS has to be high enough to take down everything before the Shadow Bolts do too much raid damage and the healers run out of mana. Although with 3 healers you should have a much bigger buffer there as the fight is possible with just 2 healers.

Also it takes a bit of luck with the spirit drain. Everybody's got to stay out of consecrations and whirlwinds and if Hex Lord becomes a mage too many times, watch out...

P.S. This is not a 2-tank fight. Only 1 tank is needed. I'd put the prot-pally on healing duties. You can also tank most of the adds in any kind of plate + shield.
    Ardalan - Tank
    Guild: Momentum
    Server: Scarlet Crusade

Quote Originally Posted by MasterWolf View Post
    P.S. This is not a 2-tank fight. Only 1 tank is needed. I'd put the prot-pally on healing duties. You can also tank most of the adds in any kind of plate + shield.
    Agreed

Question for this being a 1-tank fight: Do you tank everyone together? We have been tanking Hexlord on the opposite side of the room as the adds.

Also is there a minimum number for effective shadow resist?

We usually CC whatever we can and kill only the rest.
    If there is a second tank, he holds the add(s) to be killed. Also he makes sure he has some aggro on CCed targets to avoid problems if CC breaks early.
    The shadow resist you need is about 0, but priest buff and dampen magic helps a lot.
    This is a DPS race to be honest. CC whatever you can and gank the rest ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicatesse View Post
    The shadow resist you need is about 0, but priest buff and dampen magic helps a lot.
    Spirit Bolts ignore Dampen/Amplify Magic.

This was intentionally changed by the devs, to prevent Dampen Magic from trivializing the bolts.

As the OT in this fight (our MT is a prot paly), I swap out a lot of my tank gear for pvp gear. This allows me to do some form of dps while still maintaining a decently high level of stamina (and hey, resilience, lol). It gives me a balance that I can tank the 2-3 kill targets at beginning (depending on our cc) and dps after. The 'adds' are tauntable too, making it a bit easier.

Once adds are down, it's time to focus on boss. As a "not true dps," my major role is to pummel any attempts at healing so our dps can focus on just burning him down. We also normally do this w/ a CoH priest and put a symbol on his head.. so when he does spirit bolts, we all try to get within ~15 yrds of him so that his CoH can hit everyone.

The paly tank also requests everyone to get at least 10k HP... swap out some pure dps gear for some stamina for survivability issues we had in the past.

Anyway, that's just how _we_ do it.

Last night we had lock, mage, 2 x rogues, hunter dps on hexlord. The lock and mage were in the 900-1000+ dps range, but the hunter and rogues were in the 700 dps range. I think it had to do with the rogues especially having to run back to the priest for healing during shadow bolts.

Once the adds are down, is there a reason not to tank hexlord within 15 yards of the priest (out of WW range) so that there is less dps downtime?

And I realize we don't have to kill all the adds, but the ogre kept breaking the sheep and causing wipes. People are concerned about the bolts interrupting casting on the sheep/banish, and got tired of being two-shot by the ogre. Maybe if the pally OT (I was warr MT) consecrated before the cc they would head for him when they broke?

Thanks all for your help.

Concerning the cc.. we actually have a similar concern where priest didn't want to have to focus on keeping something shackle'd... so when we do it, we kill 3. The bolts don't get "serious" until after HL is down like 20% (or so)... the bigger question is more if your healers will have enough mana/endurance for the extra time it takes to kill a 3rd.

When we first started doing HL, we had the same exact thing where we lost too much DPS w/ melee running back for CoH healing. Since then, we've simply moved the priest closer to the boss. Yes, there are reasons you don't want to be next to the boss (eg consecrete if he's a paly, whirlwind if he's a warrior), but during the spirit bolts phase, no.

So during non-spirit bolt phase, healer would step back a bit.. or tank would move back a bit.. give some distance... but during bolt phase, healer would take a few steps forward so melee fell within CoH range and melee didn't have to move to healers.

That's how we currently do it with our setup.. mostly T4/badge gear'd people... so not overly gear'd where HL dies by pinching him

We have a feral (in mix cat/bear gear) tank the adds and we usually burn all of them down refreshing CC 5 seconds before the spirit bolts. I (the prot warrior) gear for about 100~ universal resistance w/flask for malacrass. Standard tanking when you have a threat lead, he is disarmable so save it for when he drains warrior/rogue/paladin.

As long as everyone reacts properly to the drains it is a rather easy fight.

We usually do Hex after a 3 chest run, and usually have pretty geared out people. Mix of t6/lots of badge gear. With these groups I have had no problems killing all the adds before Hex Lord. You just wait before Spirit Bolts before you kill the next add..very controllable. You just need to have people be on the ball with dispelling buffs on Hex/interrupting heals/moving out of AOE/consecrate. Since the fight will be going longer, more opportunity for errors on those.