+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pre-raid main tank, rate and suggesions

Pre-raid main tank, rate and suggesions

Just hit 70 last week and I've been running around collecting a tank set. I think I'm doing pretty good but I know I could be better. I'm not interested in running instances over and over for a 12% drop that adds a minor upgrade as I need to be ready by this Friday at latest.

I still need to get some of the slots enchanted, and I'm working on the questline for Gromtor's Charge. Aside from those, what could I do to improve my survivability in Kara and heroics?

I have some gear with higher avoidance and lower hp, would I be best off keeping the high hp total or dropping some hp in favor or more avoidance?

Also in the case of Sun Eater or Kings Defender dropping, do those make sense over Gromtors Charge for an Orc?

Hmm. Just hit 70, don't want to run dungeons for drops, and need to be ready for Kara by Friday.... Sorry, I just dont see it happening...

Edit: Oops, you didnt specify what you needed to be ready for by Friday.. Also, an armory link would be helpful, I'm assuming the Once in Atropos Inc. If so. youre gear is pretty close, a bit short on Defence. Your EH is sufficient for bosses up to Prince and Nightbane. A trink and/or ring change could easily give you the defence you need.
    Last edited by mattdeeze; 04-08-2008 at 04:11 PM.

If you're talking about MT'ing Kara you already have a decent head start. The determining factor in your success is who you're going to be running with. If you're running with over geared people your threat gen will slow them down drastically and cause more than a few deaths. If you're "main tank" then I'm guessing the other tank will be less geared than you and, extrapolating that out, you're raid will mostly be early Kara. If so it'll be serious business and you shouldn't expect a full clear this week.

Don't think because you have the S1 shield that you should stop caring about defense. Take 2 points from Improved Revenge and max out your Anticipation. Take that other Imp Revenge point and put it in Imp Heroic Strike. This is especially true if you don't run a lot of 5 mans.

Yes, Once on Kul Tiras. Here: The World of Warcraft Armory

I have some other gear that is higher on defense, but lower on hp. With my gear being where it is, is a swap of say 400hp for 20 defense good? What ratio should I be trading one for the other at? Besides obviously remaining uncrittable.

I'll probably go with the Gnomish Poltryizer instead of the shield block trinket, Dabri's seems pretty solid though. Unless I can get a deal I doubt I can afford the Darkmoon deck.

As far as the rest of the raid yeah... Thats why I'm trying to get every last personal advantage I can. I'm a reroll on that server and have been raiding since wow opened, though not as a tank. My druid partner has also been raiding, but the other 8 have never done Kara or any type or raiding for that matter. I figure a good goal for the first night would be clearing up to the Opera.

Quick update.

Way too easy to tank in that gear, snagged neck off Maiden and a bracer out of heroic Steam Vaults. The people who hadn't raided before made it slightly challenging but we cleared through the opera. One shot all the bosses to opera, Big Bad Wolf took 3 tries while everyone figured out how to run as Red.

If you want to boost your EH without having the problem of losing a slot for some avoidance piece, go get yourself a Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer. You'll be using it for a long time.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Yeah, I'm working on the mats for the destroyer. I've got most of them.

I'm a little worried about giving up more of my tiny bit of hit. Do you think socketing for hit on the destroyer is a good idea or should I be looking for hit on other peices?

Gem the gun for hit. Helps to activate the new meta gem, and you are basically trading 90 hp for +8 hit, allowing you to up your threat generation.
    Vexed
    Bronzebeard - US

So say I had 50-60 badges to spend.

Should I grab the Autoblocker to buff up my weak block value? (280ish I think) Or should I save up for one of the new chests or pants?

It seems like either of those is going to cost me defense that I'm going to have to make up somewhere else.

+ Reply to Thread