+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guild leader/main tank

Guild leader/main tank

Hey i am very new here and feel some what ashame of not finding this place to post sooner.

I run a really small little guild and have some serious growing concerns about the new badge gear

we have kara on farm and Nalorak naturally. We need like 2-3 people to start our 25's

I managed to slide t4 shoulders out of my last guild before they exploded like an A-bomb. I am running around in what i think is gruul ready gear most of the time. I make 1500 tps peak and can cound on about a 1k constant. On to my dilemma

The new dps badge gear looks like BT gear minus cool procs to me. It seems like every single person just got a threat boost but me since most my members have 150-300 badges saved up. Most of the gear for new badges looks like a drop in threat production for me big dodge no strength huge defense. The only thing that has occured to me is to drop armor smith(broken I know) and go sword smith so i can get a harder hitting sword than kings D. Even then my weapon is gonna be low on dps compared to any other weapon someone brings from that sick badge gear.

My assistant guild leader told me to just let em pull aggro and wipe till they learn to knock it off. Most my guys can blow through 1k tps and yank a boss/mob like a toilet chain anyway

suggestions / or am I worried about nothing

Expertise and hit!

It seems like you are looking for the wrong stats. Weapon damage and strength are not the best threat stats out there. Instead you could look for hit and expertise. There is a lovely tanking belt in 2.4 with both of those stats. And lots of other nice items.

though the badge gear for your DPS is great.

it has greatness associated with it for you.

finding this place sooner, or reading more about a threat set for things they can pull off you...(trash of your current raid level) invest in some nice hit rating and expertise. and id, grab an executioner enchant before i dropped a profession, or even part of one.

and with bosses, EVERYONE in the dps teams job...is to monitor the aggro or TPS they are producing to not supercede the tanks.

a good DPS, does just that. A great one understands how much is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylun View Post
    It seems like you are looking for the wrong stats. Weapon damage and strength are not the best threat stats out there. Instead you could look for hit and expertise. There is a lovely tanking belt in 2.4 with both of those stats. And lots of other nice items.
    2ndedededed!

A lot of the new badge gear is very nice for threat. If you are low on badges be sure to pick up [item]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve[/item], it's a great threat piece and only 20g!

You are definitely ready! Just go for it!

If you're maintaining 1k TPS you're probably fine. Remember, if your DPS is over-geared for a boss (or even for you) but you're geared just fine for the boss, they can scale it back. As long as you beat enrage timers you don't need loldps.

As mentioned Strength/Weapon don't do much for you. You want Hit/Expertise/SBV(shield block value) for your threat. Also remember, even if your dps has a little more TPS than you, normally you're the only person DPSing 100% of the fight. Most have your dpsers running away or doing something that has to do with avoiding damage etc. You can also get misdirects, and with 25 people you're going to always have a paladin for Salvation.

Don't worry so much about numbers, if you've got a good enough head on your shoulders to look here and other places for some pointers you're already better than 75% of the tanks out there, you'll do great, just dive in head first and hit things in the face with your shield, what more could you want.

Quote Originally Posted by enderwiggin View Post
    My assistant guild leader told me to just let em pull aggro and wipe till they learn to knock it off. Most my guys can blow through 1k tps and yank a boss/mob like a toilet chain anyway
    he is not incorrect - assuming you can get the mob back once its done eating your mages. in karazhan / gruuls / early SSC i believe almost everything is tauntable. only thing that stands out are the bog lords in SSC - but i could be mistaken =p

Salv is required for 25 man raiding, I find it hard to believe your dps is pulling 1800+ dps at the t5 level.

Unless you are gimping your tank stats you are probably not actually pushing 1k TPS. Your DPS is also probably not pushing 1800 TPS as even Sunwell guilds don't have have many guys who can do that much TPS. Omen is terrbile at giving TPS information that is wrong (it greatly exaggerates burst threat gains) so you can't trust it except as a relative value.

Threat scaling gear is designed terribly for Warrior tanks, we have 7 threat boosting stats (AP, Hit rating, Crit %, Haste, Expertise, Armor Penetration, Shield Block Value) but only 4 of them benefit all of our attacks at one time (Crit %, Expertise, Armor pen, Hit rating) so I would focus on those above the other 3. I woulnd't integrate Armor pen into your tank set unless you do a lot of detailed background on it so that would leave Expertise and Hit rating which the badge gear has nice quantities of. Crit % is a fun stat to have, I was up to 25% crit in prot stance but the gear with that itemization isn't acceptable for anything beyond a 5 man run.

At your progression level I would be very leery of stacking threat gen over Effective Health/Mitigation. If you are the main tank it's more likely for you to get 2 shotted on bosses than it is for you to lose aggro no matter what gear you are wearing and dropping stam/armor for stuff like avoidance or threat gen is going to make your healers cry themselves to sleep at night. :P

+ Reply to Thread