Thread: UI, Keybinds, Macros & Hardware

UI, Keybinds, Macros & Hardware

User Interface, Keybinds, Macros & Hardware
    Patrick O'Callahan "Ciderhelm" and Lore "LOL"
    58:23

Player not showing up? Try refreshing!

Direct Download For This Podcast

Podcast Information
    This podcast will be useful to any World of Warcraft player who wants or needs to learn more about effective game control. The information is relevant to players of all levels of progression. Class-specific advice is given for Warriors and Paladins.

As with this podcast, and when available in the future, Donors will see both the outlines and podcasts in advance of their post date.

Pre-Recording Outline
    The following is the rough bullet-point we created prior to recording. There were several on-the-spot additions not represented here.

Questions

Why Keybinds are Important
    -It's possible to become very proficient at clicking and keyboard turning.
    -However, there's a hard cap that can't be overcome due to technical restrictions.
    --taunt, mocking blow, etc -- when I do this, it's second nature
    --cooldowns
    --being able to turn quickly
    --Muscle memory is an important concept. You're going to have to unlearn this stuff if you're very good, and it's going to suck.
    ---Try to do it when it will affect the least people. I raided Mon-Thur, so after thursday raid I would change keybinds or install new hardware
    --[Lore] If you need help learning to turn with the mouse, unbind turn left and turn right from your keyboard and run around Orgrimmar/Ironforge for an hour

How to Optimize your Interface
    --People have asked about my UI. Here's what I find effective:
    --It's important to me to have both my rage bar and hitpoints
    --Also important to have spell casting bar right in front of you
    --UI forums run by Satrina
    --[Lore] If you click things, have those buttons large and easy to reach

Keybinds
    -Concept -- you want the rotation stuff EASILY available. I use 2, 3, 4, 4 for Shield Slam, Revenge, devastate, devastate. Practice it, 2, 3, 4, 4
    -Keep unobstructed but important keys
    -Numeric keypad for marking targets
    -[Lore] Flip Camera
    -This ties into movement -- when you know you have to move, turn your camera, get ready, then move.

Keyboard Binds
    --tilda key for push to talk or spell interrupt
    --F key is very easy to use, I use it for Thunderclap, CTRL F for Cleave
    --1 for Taunt
    --G for intercept/intervene macro
    --Bind similar keys across stances to the same thing, especially with macros such as berserker rage. For instance, put Shield Slam as 2 in all stances, but also intercept/intervene macros and berserker rage
    --[Lore] Keep keybinds distinct as well - don't blow Lay on Hands when you're just trying to get on your mount

Mouse Binds
    -Mouse, shoot, bloodrage
    -Click some stuff -- high cooldowns you don't want to screw up, heatlhstones, etc.

Gamepad Binds
    -[Lore] Less keys to work with, so choose your binds wisely
    -[Lore] Use of thumb adds mobility
    -[Lore] Some keybinds stay on regular keyboard

Notes on Macros
    --Fear Macro -- Berserker Rage
    --Shield Slam -- this macro is important because you can reliably get 4 in, even with some latency issues
    --[Lore] Righteous Defense - not as important in 2.4 but still important
    --[Lore] Divine Shield/Cancel
    --[Lore] Blessing of Protection
    --[Lore] Healthstone
    -Check our UI forum

Mice
    Logitech MX518 - Mouse
    Razer/Microsoft -- Microsoft teamed up with - Mouse
    -Blue lit

Keyboard
    -Cheap keyboard is fine
    -Previously recommended the ergonomic
    --I take that back; became frustrating the more I used it
    -Microsoft Reclusa vs. Logitech G15
    --Both very good
    --Logitech gets an edge if you need additional macros

Gamepads
    Nostromo N52
    --[Lore] Be right handed
    --[Lore] Programming software works on Mac and Windows

References
    Sunwell Radiance Impact
    Kel'Thuzad UI Example
    TankSpot User Interface Forums
    Mozman's Warrior Macros
    MainTankadin Paladin Macros
    Red Light vs. Blue Light
    Belkin N52 Speedpad
    Belkin N52 Tournament Edition
    Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
    Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse
    Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

Corrections & Clarifications
    Correction: Regarding humans, the question was regarding The Unbreakable Will vs. Mallet of the Tides vs. The Brutalizer. I failed to mention Unbreakable Will, which makes the question seemingly more obvious than it actually was.

Clarification: 23 Expertise Skill is neither a cap nor a required minimum. 23 Expertise is to negate Dodge and a good portion of Parry; Parry rates are at least twice this, so adding more Expertise than this continues to be good. Conversely, any amount of Expertise is beneficial, but Expertise should not be stacked this high if it leaves you with dangerously low health, armor, or avoidance.

Correction: Made reference to index finger in regards to Tilda key. Meant to say ring finger.

Ask Me Anything -- What Are Your Questions?
    Got a question or discussion subject? Post here or send myself or Lore a private message through our forums!
    Last edited by Ciderhelm; 04-13-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    ...we know that many boss mobs have 10% Parry, but potentially have more, which is what 23 Expertise negates;...
    I think you messed up your numbers here. 23 expertise is not 10% parry reduction, it's the 5.6% or so dodge reduction.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    I think you messed up your numbers here. 23 expertise is not 10% parry reduction, it's the 5.6% or so dodge reduction.
    Thank you.

Updated Healthstone macro from Invisusira on Maintankadin:

#showtooltip
    /use item:22105
    /use item:22104
    /use item:22103
    /use item:32578

Will use better healthstones first, or a Charged Crystal Focus.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

wow way to post faster than I can register, jerk!

Way to not already be registered!

Nice timing guys - seting up new computer tonight or tomorrow and redoing addons again

Slightly related question, I turned on "sticky targetting" recently, which I find really good for not accidentally losing targets in the middle of a fight. Anyone know if there is a way to change the "target nothing" from "escape" to another key, as if i'm typing or have bags open or something odd escape gets me out of there first and only off my target when I hit it again. That's probably not clear, but hopefully someone understands.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

I love the 5 dollar keyboards as well! Great podcast guys!

Great show guys!

A request for Cider. In your post, could you time stamp the different topics in your outline? I'd like to refer back to these podcasts later for ideas and advice. It would help tremendously, if I could zip right to the start of the topic I need.

I also have another philosophy to follow for keybinds. Keep a finger-region-based separation between abilities that are ON the GCD versus abilities that are OFF the GCD. Allow yourself to queue up Heroic Strike and Shield Block, while simultaneously maintaining your GCD threat rotation, without tying your fingers in a knot.
    Last edited by Kraygor; 04-07-2008 at 01:19 PM.

All this time I never knew the n52 worked on a Mac. I have immediately ordered one (took me 1/2 hour to find a store with one in-stock).

Sadly, the store was out after all. All I can find is the n52te, which has gotten horrible reviews compared to the n52.
    Last edited by tobarstep; 04-08-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: correction

I don't know that it comes with the macintosh software in the box (I can't find my discs atm) but there is macintosh software available on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Nice timing guys - seting up new computer tonight or tomorrow and redoing addons again

Slightly related question, I turned on "sticky targetting" recently, which I find really good for not accidentally losing targets in the middle of a fight. Anyone know if there is a way to change the "target nothing" from "escape" to another key, as if i'm typing or have bags open or something odd escape gets me out of there first and only off my target when I hit it again. That's probably not clear, but hopefully someone understands.
    You can make a macro with "/cleartarget" and bind it to a key.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Outstanding. I was listening to this while doing dailys in Netherstorm and was monkeying with keybinds and such the whole time. Seriously considering breaking out that Nostromo N52 I bought and never used and giving it another go.....
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Alot of great info in these podcasts, keep them up please!

I don't like offending people when they have done nothing offensive to me (and I hope this isn't).

However, I would think your podcasts would be much more effective with talking about one class. I lost interest with Lore's nervousness, "umm", losing points etc and rambling about his bad key bindings. I believe he knows what he is speaking of, however the presentation of it is not there.

Ciderhelm, I believe your podcasts will bring most listeners when you do the following:
    -Make it about one class (i don't play a paladin- don't care about their abilities)
    -Either have it you or another knowledgeful (same classed) player whom is an interesting speaker for the podcasts

If you're still interested in speaking of multiple tanking classes, I believe it will be more effective to make them separate podcasts.

I was a bit disappointed with Podcast #2, and I hope this was useful. I do like the length. I like listening to you ramble about your warrior experiences with a lot of powerful knowledge as a backup.

I admire the time and effort you put into this site, and I believe it's my responsibility to at least give you ideas. ^_^

You have my attention. I'll be listening in to the podcasts!
    Last edited by Hollowskin; 04-08-2008 at 05:41 AM.
    80 Prot Warrior | 80 Feral/Resto Druid | 80 Enhancement Shaman
    Alliance Days

My preference would be to have a knowledgeable Druid with a solid raid background in the mix as well, to round out all three classes.

I personally enjoyed the duality of the podcast very much. The fact that you don't care about paladins, Hollowskin, doesn't mean that the rest of TankSpot's visitors feel the same way.

I'd love for a druid to join in as well.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

In all raiding environments currently it takes a variety of tanks of different classes working together. It is important to know how the other classes work mechanically to be the best at yours for your raid. There is a certain amount of overlap between the various classes as well.

I thought the podcast did a good job of blending the two in presentation and gave some insight on protadins. Tanking is not the exclusive domain of warriors any longer and I prefer the broader format to seperating each class out into thier own little niche.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Good Podcast. A few things, I've used a Nostromo N52 sense about June of 2005. Only recently do I feel I've really been using it to its full ability. I use the D-pad for movement(Forward/back) and left / right as strafing. Mouse for looks / Movement some times. The buttons I've set some what differently than what I've seen. I do a chorded setup.

Default Lay out.
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 0
    1 2 3 4

My setup
    (Cntrl) 1 2 3 4
    (Shft) 5 6 7 8
    (Tab) 9 0 -

Now using Bartender I can do a 4x3 matrix (only 11 buttons). This sets up the bars exactly as the buttons I will use for my main buttons.

Then I can setup my main bar in the middle and ctrl chorded buttons on the left and the shft chorded buttons on the right side. Plus a regular bar under this for Shft+Crtl chord. This means with the ability to chord shft/ctrl together, I have 44 buttons addressable from the speed pad.

This is just my setup. Using this setup and macros I can stream line my interface to have every ability displayed and addressable from the nostromo. Heres an example I bind my REV / SS / Dev to 5/6/7 because its the "home" row on N52. Then I have my Autoblocker/SS set to Shft-5. (same button but chorded and displayed on the screen) . If you wanted to use Alt instead of tab targeting, you could address 44 with two button chords and 77 with 3 button chords.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Gomer; 04-08-2008 at 09:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread