+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How To Get Accepted Into Any Guild

How I hate applications. They stress me out. But if you are looking for a guild out side of your current server they are nice.

Yeah but applications are a nice tool for guilds to use to filter out and give the officers/raid leads/guild members themselves a chance to screen concerns about said individual before waisting a lot of time interviewing such a person. A responsible guild leader will take said complaints though and filter out the simple personnel grievances and see if a person is a good choice for what your looking for.

On a note as said before you learn a lot by how a person fills out an application. Do they overly try and suck up? Are they overbearing? Do they lack simple self esteem? And most importantly I can't stess this enough, can they follow basic instructions lol.

So just that little bit of info you get can go a long way into tailoring your interviewing process to make sure the concerns raised from their application are addressed and to insure you get the right people in what your looking for instead of just someone looking for a free ride or a quick stepping stone.
    As always you can find me on US Ysera Horde as the GM of Prevail.

Well i did not get in

Well i did not get in the guild i applied for. but some one told me that they were going to pug me and see if they like me once i fix the stuff they told. about my gear that was wrong... so i may get in in a few days... this is a good guide. And will get you in to any guild with friendly people that are not jerks. I had my gear gemed wrong... and was missing the leg enchants

i disagree with 1, 3 & 4

add: 6. be a real person. dont tell me what i wanna hear, your gearscore or what achievments you have because i mostly dont care. can you listen, do you research strats, are you fun to play with and can you keep your head above water (which is low tide in this game nowadays)? cause id rather that, than if you have heroic t9, with hardcore achievments and youre a douche who cant adjust on the fly and/or gets emo over other ppl making mistakes.

apps have a place and are needed imo but theyre arent much more then a retard check and a formality. id rather talk to a guy about the game in general for 5m and run a heroic with him quick then him put 30m into writing an app.
    Last edited by Megatwan; 01-12-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Excellent post (Ariedan) and a lively thread. I've been in combat where people were trying to kill me in RL, but the thought of applying for a guild still makes me ill lol (part of why I am reading this thread- one shot one kill, errrrr, that is, one app one guild).

Something that should be pointed out is to do your homework before you apply. A key to success is the fit- will the guild fit you and will you fit the guild? I do the research- inspect the player, their spec, their PvP stats and mayber their acheives in game or on Armory, then check their guild on Armory and check other toons in classes I'm familiar with, check my ignore lists (yes, if I ignored them there is a VERY good reason and no I will not join a guild that has somone on my ignore list in it), check my friends list (I add social notes to identify people- "Epic cuts", "douche bag", "leet heals", "Lynne's alt") "watch" the threads on the sites I visit (Tankspot is a good one- you should check it out sometime!) for wisdom as well as as ignorance, and "listen" in chat; I will engage or "stir up" a good discussion to check someone's knowledge or maturity in public- (don't be a jerk!) If you get a chance to PUG an instance or raid, watch the playstyle, engage the players in discussion if it's appropriate (I like to start a PUG with a joke "What do you call 50 pallys in Lakeshire Lake? A bubble bath!")- not only have you given a prospective guild member or guild master a chance to see who you are- you get to see who they are. After all this you should have a good idea of the fit and if you need to fine tune yourself before you apply, or if you need to look elsewhere- a guild will not change for you, but they will expect you to change for them.
    Last edited by Dethjonson; 02-09-2010 at 02:20 PM.

this is a good thread, there are a lot of helpful points for those new to raiding here. I've recruited for several raid guilds and i have to say one thing that really stands out is your charisma. If your fun to raid with then its not really that hard to "shape" you into a good raider. And nowadays you can gear up extremely fast, especially with old raids like uld and toc on farm. Most of the better guilds can quickly put together a fast 10 toc with only a couple of people that need any of the gear, so its becoming more about how enjoyable it is to raid with you, and less about your gear.

But please people, please please please KNOW YOUR CLASS!!! Take half an hour to read up on elitistjerks about your class. Its not hard. its not.

There are really three things we look for in a raider,
    1. Know your class - I mean know about all three specs and how to gear them and how they should be played, im not saying you should know every single thing about the spec you dont even play, but you should be able to spot a horrible player of your class no matter what spec they are.
    2. Have your professions - I know it sounds dumb but there are a lot of players out there that are 80 with blacksmithing at level 78 and jewel cutting at 102. It is very beneficial to have more people with maxed trade skills. You can never have too many enchanters, jewel cutters, etc.
    3. Be active - If you are on a trial period in a gulid, speak!! If there is some stupid discussion going on in guild chat join in! Dont be afraid to be yourself and dont be a loaner who never says a word, everyone likes to have another personality in the guild, not just some person to call on during raid time.

One really important thing, when your raiding, you need to be involved. Say if its 25 toc on Lord Jarraxxus and whoever is assigned to interrupt the fireballs is struggling dont be afraid to throw some interrupts at him and help out. And when you do help with something like that, speak up and let everyone know that your helping. Im not saying be a dick and say "Player A sucks I had to do all his interrupts for him," im just saying let the raid leader, or the person your helping out, know that your helping out.

Anyways good thread, happy raiding all
    Dont do drugs, they're bad. Why are they bad? because they are. shutup.

Very good advice. I used this as a general guide when I applied to my guild. I was not very experienced in raiding, but I knew my class and I am willing to learn and grow as a guild member. I was accepted as a trainee and have gone from an average player to a verteran player. Thank you for a very well written guide and keep up the the good work with this site, I have learned alot here, so thank you again.

Thank you for a great thread i only wished i had joined this site and read this thread befor today, i sent off my guild application to Eu/Terokkar/Alliance/Lore the form i filled in had meny of the questions you have put, i did not anwers them in a rush as such, and i did take the time to give anwers of more that 4 words but i didnt put a hell of a lot of thought in to them i just type what i felt at the time, i didnt add links to my wowhero/wowarmory, i didnt add screen prints of my G.U.I. and to top it off i did just what i shouldnt of done "Another big mistake I see in applications is that people assume a lot" i said why i chose my Glyphs but when i got to Glyph of Totem of Wrath i put word for word "well i dont need to say why i use this glyph" so by the sounds of thing iv blown it as to a application to a new guild go's, and as my day is getting better i just seen my first The Weekly Marmot which happen to cover finding new player for you raid team, need less to say my jaw droped on the words "waist of time looking in trade" i spend a fair but of time in trade trying to find a guild that covers what i want i.e static raid team,as im not so new to wow as more i didnt really get in to in till the last 6 months iv had a hard time finding a guild on Terokkar/Alliance that takes raid as more than a 4 boss frost run and now i know why no one bothers with ppl asking in trade for a guild, im gona look in to that thing he talked about that web site for finding guilds in Weekly Marmot. so thank you Ariedan you have helped me loads and i hope that next time i send a application i full it in with the thought and time i intend to spend in the guild.

:- luckyjack

How would i go about applying to one of the awesome guilds that down everything from tank spot? I have tried and failed miserably on my own realm but then again its not the best realm out there and i would love to be in a guild were i can be "Realm First" or Top WHGS

If you care about being the top GearScore then you don't have the mentality that top guilds are looking for.

Yeah, see, when they're recruiting you...all they can talk about is your gear.

Once you're raiding with them, you're not supposed to care about gear anymore.

All very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    and how good/bad the application was filled out. it doesn't matter if you have the best GS in the world, if you submit a terrible application, I highly doubt you will get a trial in any decent guild. If you submit a very solid application even if your gear is slightly behind what they are looking for they are going to be more likely to give you a trial.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

One thing that didn't seem to be highlighted as much as it could be is persistence. If someone applies to our guild and is a bit lacking they may get a meh response initially but if they then follow any suggestions, do everything they can to improve and then continue to respond and stay positive we are fairly likely to get them an invite to see what they can do. Obviously you don't want to be the annoying stalker type but showing enough interest to really demonstrate persistence gives the impression that you really care and would potentially make a good raider since you would be likely to research fights and min/max on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post

Once you're raiding with them, you're not supposed to care about gear anymore.

All very confusing.
    I wish it was that way on my realm but its seems that even the most skilled player on the realm couldn't get into any raid without a "Perfect" Wow-Heroes Gearscore, and to be honest i wouldn't care about gear if raiding was fun but it seems that all people on this realm care about is gear... im seriously contemplating realm transfer

I don't know about your realm, but all realms have gone nuts about gear score. However, I was accepted to a US top 200 guild in a 5700 gear score, which meant that I was about 3-400 points behind their other members. My advice, be clear about what you want and why you want that particular guild. After an extensive search, I was applying to the one guild that had exactly what I wanted in schedule, maturity level and progress. My application was extremely long and detailed, and I told them I was willing to wait for an opening, if they had none for my class at that time. Luckily they took me in raid, right away.

As an aside... (not responding to previous poster) I have read many many applications and posts in recruitment forums.
    Top errors I see in recruitment forums are:

- "Contact me in-game." No. The guild leader is way busier than you. He doesn't have time to sit on your server or run a character to a major city and earn 30 copper to contact every potential applicant.

- "I don't want to fill out alot of guild applications, just tell me if you need me." If you can't be bothered to invest 30 minutes to write one app, which info you will copy and paste into their formats... why should they think you can be bothered to do what is necessary to raid?

- "Don't spam me guild info, if you don't need me." Yes, some people will spam without reading. But some recruiters are responding only to apps who might match, specifically regarding schedule and experience. When I'm recruiting, I don't reply to people who "don't want spam", because they're already whining, before the process has begun.

also another thing I don't think I have seen yet is if the guild has an app here only process make sure you do not apply anywhere else. One of the former guilds I was an officer in did have this rule and I spent about 2 hrs per day going through all the guilds on the server's sites and double checking the apps. If they had applied somewhere else it was an instant reject. On the gear issue with cataclysm so close when looking at the gear I only check a few things.

- Major combat ratings achieved. Hit, expertise, etc in other words do you take the time to make sure you have these key things for your class.

- Enchanted correctly - Although my first guild though my strength to my priest gloves was funny (a friend did drop by enchants while leveling his enchanting) the fact that I was a priest and had no use for it caught me some slack and some bench time, until I was in my first raid and they noticed that I had changed my enchant up to the correct one.

- Going for the correct stats - healing gear is more or less healing gear now, dps gear is dps gear, show the leader you know what gear you want by having the correct stats on your gear.
    Last edited by Chanze; 11-04-2010 at 10:19 PM.

This is how I get accepted to any guild of my choosing.

A few more Questions from a guild app
    1.) Why do you want to join our guild?
    2.) What would your main role be in the guild?
    3.) List your heroic mode experience in Cataclysm. Just the dungeons, no details.

good post

ok i read all of this and i have done a lot of this but i am a really good raider i know my class and i spend the time to get to know everything i can without doing the fights and in most cases i am better than some of the people in the best guilds on my server but i keep getting stuck with casual guilds or guilds that can only down 1 or 2 bosses and im a hardcore raider so not getting to see more bosses and not being able to raid every week makes me feel im wasting my time and money.

I have applied to really good guilds on my server but keep getting turned down because they either dont need my class even though in some cases i have did pugs with the classes in their guild and have did way better than them or they tell me i havent seen the other bosses so they dont want me because they think im not good and they dont give me a chance to prove myself

So my question for anyone that can answer it is how do i get out of being stuck in 1 or 2 boss guilds or releying on pugs that once in a lifetime down an extra boss than the guilds im in do/ or not even getting a chance to raid that week, to getting in a hardcore real progressive/ great guild that raids every week smaetime and downs bosses or may wipe a bit but still gets it down because they spend time on the fights to know them. How do i get a big good hardcore guild to give me a chance or let me join and raid with them?

+ Reply to Thread