+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Get Accepted Into Any Guild

Something I actually put up on our Recruitment forums, pretty similar to what you posted, but compressed into 5 little guidelines

I saw this at The WOW Insider and thought it was quite funny, and insightful. Probably a good thing for all recruits to follow and keep in mind.

================================================== ======================

So maybe your current guild just isn't doing it for you. They're casual players and you're ready to step into something more hardcore, or you can sense some impending guild drama and want to be far away, or maybe they're like my guildmates and keep talking about wangs in guild chat for, like, half an hour. It's time to suck it up, tell them you're moving on, and then go to the realm forums and start filling out guild applications.

Despite what you may think, guild applications aren't quite as rough as job applications. They're mainly there to weed out the total idiots and incompetents. On the other hand, it's pretty easy to appear like a total idiot or incompetent, so here are some tips for your applications. Happy hunting!
    1. Don't spell like a moron.
    Yes, yes, it's the Internet and spelling and grammar aren't cool among the kids these days. Nevertheless, you're trying to impress these people, so at least make some effort to not type like a monkey undergoing shock treatment. Typing in all lower-case with no punctuation except for "lol" makes the guild officers think that you're going to be a nightmare to have in guild chat, and they're probably right.

2. Use the actual guild's application.
    Not a generic application. Not another guild's application. ESPECIALLY not the application of the archnemesis of the guild you're applying to. This is usually an automatic disqualification -- if you can't take the time to fill out the application, how are you going to abide by the guild rules?

3. Don't flirt or post pictures.
    No one cares that you're a girl. Really. No, really. They care about how well you can play. If they ask for your gender, it's okay to tell the truth, but attaching revealing pics or a link to your myspace in your application screams "In the future, I will carry on an ongoing flirtation with several guildmates that will eventually destroy the whole guild." I would assume it's also verboten for a guy to flirt and post half-naked pictures in his guild application, but honestly I would probably /ginvite that person just to watch the chaos that ensues.

4. Don't complain about your last guild.
    Even if the split was really bad, just say "there were some issues about _____ and I decided to move on." An epic description of the drama in your last guild makes you look bad, and some of the officers in your wanna-be-new guild probably have friends in your old one.

5. Don't talk about what they can give you -- talk about what you can give them.
    I have seen many guild applications where the reason for joining boils down to "I want to get gear and you guys are progressed!" Sure, that's probably the real reason for it, but it's considered tactless (kind of like saying "I really need some money" during a job interview.) Instead, talk about your desire to see new content, meet new people, and help your guild in new encounters. Don't mention gear at all, really.

Last edited by kittikat; 04-05-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Rogues do it from behind, but Druids do it on all fours.
    The Family Business - [A] Burning Blade

3. Don't flirt or post pictures.
    No one cares that you're a girl. Really. No, really. They care about how well you can play. If they ask for your gender, it's okay to tell the truth, but attaching revealing pics or a link to your myspace in your application screams "In the future, I will carry on an ongoing flirtation with several guildmates that will eventually destroy the whole guild." I would assume it's also verboten for a guy to flirt and post half-naked pictures in his guild application, but honestly I would probably /ginvite that person just to watch the chaos that ensues.

4. Don't complain about your last guild.
    Even if the split was really bad, just say "there were some issues about _____ and I decided to move on." An epic description of the drama in your last guild makes you look bad, and some of the officers in your wanna-be-new guild probably have friends in your old one.
    Well said. I was tempted to post number three, but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate. Point four is right on, though.

So, do you think with a good enough application I could get into a guild that has their warrior need listed as low and they have Illidan on farm?

Here's my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...as&n=Mancowpig

First off, let me say that this is an excellent thread and guide.

I'd like to offer one more point:

Don't ask about loot, who needs loot or how to get loot. If you want to verify aspects of a guild's loot system, fine. But I've had an app say to me (and I quote) "Oh, you guys are doing Vashj? Think I could get in, I need like 3 loots from her." And this is when we had killed her, twice I think.

Darkjester (RESTO DRUID)

I have been playing wow for about 4 years now. I have been raiding for about 3 of those years heavily. My current guild Overwhelming Injustice is
    on hiatus currently. Prior to our break I was the Druid CL for about a year. Completing all of SSC and up to last boss in TK. I have been raiding for a long time and know the ins and outs of good solid raid group. Unlike many though I have only one level 70 and no alts. I am resto Druid all the time. I know my class and spec to a perfect T . I have been healing since the start. MC BWL AQ ZG NAXX right into the new KARA SSC TK. I have been CL I have followed ..... all in all I just like to heal. I am good and I guarantee you can count on me to be topping out your healing spots. I take pride in how well I can play my druid in a raid enviorment. My mana presevation techniques are spot on and my armor backs that up. I currently have 3/5 tier 5 and all the rest of my gear is from ssc or tk. I have alchemist stone for main trinket. My weapon is the Ethereum Life-Staff off Solarion.
    I love raiding! I am a bit on the quiet side on vent, I have really good friends all over the server that you all probably know in OI and Judg .. a few in Aegis. I was raiding sun-fri 7-12 before the break to give you asn idea of what I raid. I had over 90% attendance and top dkp in my class 10th overall.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Thats me!

I would love to see some end game at this point and I would definetly benifit your raid. I am 26 yr old bartender at Bennigens and This is what I do. I healz and I healz good.

Is that a real app, Darkjester? Interesting place to put it, but if you're checking back, we can use a resto druid:
    http://bluemoo.guildhaunt.com

I have to admit, I hope nobody reads this thread. It's just so much easier on me when recruiting, if someone posts something like:
    "My old guild needs 2 l2play. Plz lets me knw if you want me."
    Post like that, and I just saved 30 minutes interviewing you. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lorelye View Post
    Is that a real app, Darkjester? Interesting place to put it, but if you're checking back, we can use a resto druid:
    http://bluemoo.guildhaunt.com

I have to admit, I hope nobody reads this thread. It's just so much easier on me when recruiting, if someone posts something like:
    "My old guild needs 2 l2play. Plz lets me knw if you want me."
    Post like that, and I just saved 30 minutes interviewing you. lol
    I wouldn't worry too much. Most of the people that would post an app the way you mentioned probably wouldn't even know this site existed
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

I think the loot issue is a very big concern. It is akin to the salary issue in real life -- well, DUH everyone knows you need money/loot, so it's irrelevant. This doesn't just apply to the items you wish you had or want, but also your current gear.

They usually ask to see your profile for a reason, and it's unnecessary to repeat that information in the middle of an application. This may sound cold, but every other Joe & SuzyQ have the capacity to obtain those same items -- you aren't special in that department. When a decision is made concerning your application, the top priorities won't include 90% of your gear. If you were the bearer for a legendary item then it may be helpful to include information pertaining to that, but only in the sense that with it came responsibility & trust.

On the contrary, if you have poor gear do not bring it up unless a profile is asked for. Make sure you are candid about why your gear is in the condition it is (presuming it is poor, otherwise do not bother). For example, if you are still wearing a green or blue item, turn it into a positive strength.

Whatever the case, do not lie. Lies are a surefire way to get weeded out & rejected before you even get chance to explain yourself. Keep your answers concise & to the point -- applications aren't given as a guideline for your personal biography.

I find it weird how often people use "Slow progress" excuse for applying into a higher tier raiding guild. That gives me an impression that you don't want to help your guild through struggles. Usually it's not even true so I do background check on every single application that has that line written on it.

When we've went from 0/6 SSC & 1/4 TK to 5/6 & 3/4 during past 24 days and I see people applying into other guilds due to "slow progress", it really makes me want to bash in some skulls...
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Ask yourself, "Is it the slow progress of the guild or the slow progress of the character?" & find a truer answer.

Applications in Small Guilds

I have started a rather small guild and I have an application that is required by all raiding members..... and naturally one of my members asked why we required an application. We are small, not well known, and wouldn't it turn off some potential people.

I thought my reasoning to him, might help some people who are also wondering....

1 - Everyone who fills out an application is saying they understand the rules we have for raiding, for passing out loot, etc. That means everyone starts on the same footing. It also allows us to "review" with someone what they agreed to if there is any confusion, and hopefully not have to repeat the same loot rules over and over at the start of each raid.

2 - If they are "too lazy" to go to our website to apply, then they are probably "too lazy" to read our guidelines, check the site for scheduled raid times, etc. If you take them in and they haven't been to your site and you ask people to sign up for raids on your site... will they ever actually sign up

3 - The VALUE I place on the applications at this point, is not the same VALUE I place on them in the future when we are raiding more progressed content. Right now, I might take just about anyone, but in the future, I may be more picky. But if everyone in the guild knows that someone has to complete an application, then it doesn't become a "new thing" or "can we just not do it for this one person" issue.

4 - A small part of guild protection - If you bothered to apply, and look at our site and our guild, then you hopefully know in part if we are a good fit for what you want to acheive. If your goal is to be killing Illidan next Sunday, joining my Kara/ZA guild today will not make you happy.

A good example of this was someone that messaged me as a "friend of a new recruit" asking about our guild. They asked me some questions that made me a little concerned about their expectations of my guild. After reading our site while filling out an app, they decided that maybe we weren't the right guild for them.

The one thing that I have found quite often in my short time as a recruitment officer for my guild is that people do not like to fill out applications. I understand that most small guilds do not require applications to join, most end-game raiding guilds do require them. Experience has taught me that the people who do not like to fill out apps are not the raiding type of player. Very nice guide by the way.

Yeah, if people aren't willing to fill out an app, they are generally FAR too lazy to be a succesful raider.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

Some more pointers

With all the things that have been said about applying to a guild one more point.

When a guild asks what other guilds you have been in, be honest. Don't leave out information or the fact that you transferred over from another server. There are sites out there I can check to see where you have been and for how long.

Two things raise big red flags and the first one is guild jumping. Yes there are people who have had bad luck and seen a number of them fold just after they join, but if honestly, if they have been in eight guilds in three months that indicates either a problem getting along with people or they are a lootwhore. When I was an officer I wanted people no matter how well geared they were to be willing to stick around. My guild isn't a minor league team so you can get into one of the top ten in all of WoWdom.

Second red flag is checking these sites and look at that....LeetdpsHo just sprouted out of the ground at 80 on this server. If you came from somewhere else, please give the guilds you have been in over there.

Finally don't lie and try to keep secret you belong to two raiding guilds at once. Sooner or later you will mess up and despite server size there are a lot of people who know and talk to each other.

Haha don't do what I did and piss off a guild full of people who think they are better then everyone else on the server cause they cleared Wrath content in like 2 weeks, but weren't the first to kill Malygos. Not to mention they treat people like trash too, it's funny watching them get pissy every time I post in trade chat.

Very nice thread. I came here looking to see what was suggested and found something very valuable. I wasn't looking for how to submit an app. But instead, how to increase the quality of players I'm getting. I definetly got what I was looking for and more.

On the topic of "Loot is like a Salary".. I look at it slightly differently:

Grinding for $$/Mats/etc = Job
    Participating in End Game Raids = Salary
    Loot = Monthly Bonus

If you don't enjoy end game raiding in and of itself, and you really are looking at raiding like a job, and loot as the pay-cheque. The following impressions can be reasonably accurate:
    - It's going to be hard for you to maintain interest for long periods of time.
    - You'll get dismayed faster when learning new content (wipe after wipe, etc)..
    - You're alot more likely to leave to another guild if you think you'll make more of a salary (ie: loot).
    - You might not be any "fun" when your raid is trying something new.

anyway.. just food for thought on another way to look at end-game raiding. The really long term guilds raid because they enjoy raiding. The people that you see in a top guild that have been there for 2-3-4 years.. they're there because they enjoy it. not because they want loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilless View Post
    I have started a rather small guild and I have an application that is required by all raiding members..... and naturally one of my members asked why we required an application. We are small, not well known, and wouldn't it turn off some potential people.

I thought my reasoning to him, might help some people who are also wondering....

1 - Everyone who fills out an application is saying they understand the rules we have for raiding, for passing out loot, etc. That means everyone starts on the same footing. It also allows us to "review" with someone what they agreed to if there is any confusion, and hopefully not have to repeat the same loot rules over and over at the start of each raid.

2 - If they are "too lazy" to go to our website to apply, then they are probably "too lazy" to read our guidelines, check the site for scheduled raid times, etc. If you take them in and they haven't been to your site and you ask people to sign up for raids on your site... will they ever actually sign up

3 - The VALUE I place on the applications at this point, is not the same VALUE I place on them in the future when we are raiding more progressed content. Right now, I might take just about anyone, but in the future, I may be more picky. But if everyone in the guild knows that someone has to complete an application, then it doesn't become a "new thing" or "can we just not do it for this one person" issue.

4 - A small part of guild protection - If you bothered to apply, and look at our site and our guild, then you hopefully know in part if we are a good fit for what you want to acheive. If your goal is to be killing Illidan next Sunday, joining my Kara/ZA guild today will not make you happy.

A good example of this was someone that messaged me as a "friend of a new recruit" asking about our guild. They asked me some questions that made me a little concerned about their expectations of my guild. After reading our site while filling out an app, they decided that maybe we weren't the right guild for them.
    Bingo...I deal with this all the time especially since my guild is a casual guild. Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by codecreeper61 View Post
    Good Info to Know when looking for a guild. Only downside is , WoW is a game?
    Looking at all those questions seems like a job application and in some cases could deter a lot of ppl from joining guilds.
    You need to look at it this way; applying to a guild has a lot of similarities to applying for a job:

1. A prospective employer has never met you before, there are millions of other people around that could potentially do your job and they need to have some way to gauge your effectiveness. In a guild application its made even worse because this is all over the interwebs, no face to face, no chance to shake your hand, have a chat and see your body language. And again, this is the first time they see you, there are millions of other people around that could do your job, and a raid has only got 25 spots.

2. A job interview has an element of appearance, how you are dressed and groomed, that gives an interviewer an impression of you as a person, and during the interview process they need to get to know you in a few minutes. A guild application is really the only visual measure that a guild has of what kind of player you are, apart from your voice on a Vent server, etc.

3. The world is full of lying idiots that might be trying to trick their way into a job so employers need to make sure about what they are hiring. The Internet is even fuller of even bigger idiots, drama queens, hobo's, beggars and as***les than real life who hide behind anonymity. Don't really want those in a friendly, hardcore guild.

4. If the application process scares off some players, GOOD! Therefore only the (semi?) serious guys will even bother applying.

Most important thing I look at when reviewing an application is simply did they even bother to answer the questions. Plain and simple you show if you can follow simple instructions by reading the full question and answering it in whole. Not just partly.
    As always you can find me on US Ysera Horde as the GM of Prevail.

+ Reply to Thread