Thread: Kalecgos - Demon 'phase'

Kalecgos - Demon 'phase'

Im not tanking this fight as a dps warrior but im just looking for some information from some others that do.

Currently my raid has done pretty well as tonight we took Kalecgos and his demon sub 10% on 4 or 5 attempts so things generally seem to be working. One thing im concerned about is human Kalecgos. Apparently he produces a lot of threat, so much so that sometimes our tanks have trouble keeping the demon off him at times. Generally after eating a stun which stops them from producing threat. There were 1 or 2 attempts where we probably would have killed him but human Kalecgos died ending the encounter.

I guess my question is what exactly are you tanks doing 'inside' with the demon. Are you trying to keep him on you 100% of the time you are there, or are you 'taunt tanking' trying to minimize the incomming damage from the demon? His stun/attack thing + shadowbolts can end up being pretty strong burst damage so my guild has generally been trying to only tank him some of the time that we are in there.

Really we just need a little fine tuning before we kill him so im looking for little things here and there. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

We try to tank the demon as much as possible.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post
    We try to tank the demon as much as possible.
    How many tanks are you using for the fight?

3 tanks are enough usually. I heard you can do with 2 also.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

We use three tanks, and we tanked the demon as much as possible. If a tank missed a portal or there weren't any healers in there, naturally, he would go a little while being tanking by the human. But honestly, you need to tank him as much as possible. A little bit doesn't hurt, but if he dies, you're screwed.

Also, during the normal course of the fight, this is okay, BUT you absolutely HAVE to have a tank on him at the last 10% or he WILL die. They ensured there was no way to cheese that fight at the end. =/

We use 2 feral druids and 2 prot warriors; we tried the 3 tank method and it was a huge nightmare...how you could do that fight with 2 tanks total...lol.
    My Armory (May be in PvP Gear)

Our kill actually had only two tanks towards the end. One of the tanks died around 40%.

Yeah, when we had 3 tanks, when one died it became really ugly. I mean I'm sure you could do this with 2 tanks but the healing would be really intense and, to be honest, learning and farming the fight with 4 tanks trivializes it lol.
    My Armory (May be in PvP Gear)

the only thing that changes going from 3 tanks to 2 tanks is that sathrovarr will definitely be untanked for the 5-10 second transition period between the tanks. it actually works quite well, as long as tanks can keep sathrovarr fully tanked when they're actually on him, as human kalecgos dying would be your main concern.

There will be times where you'll taunt and get stunned, thus having kalecgos get aggro back. Just taunt back at your earliest convenience, save your Challenging shout for the dragon up top. One thing worth trying is waiting until he stuns kalecgos, then taunting.

We tank him a majority of the time, with 3 tanks (2 prot warriors, 1 feral). You can do it with 2, but there will be time where the human Kalecgos is tanking the demon... and at the last 10% he fades pretty quickly.

4 tanks is the easiest, 3 is the minimal if you want total control on every kill.

Have your tanks bring Free Action Potions, I use them over Ironshields on that fight just because it helps with avoiding the burst after a corrupting strike.
    http://www.invictus-gaming.com 6/6 SWP.
    Recruiting skilled players of all classes.

Quote Originally Posted by shorto85 View Post
    Have your tanks bring Free Action Potions, I use them over Ironshields on that fight just because it helps with avoiding the burst after a corrupting strike.
    I didn't find this to be the case, since with the gimped avoidance in SWP your chances of avoiding swings aren't that high to begin with, I was taking about the same damage in the demon phase on attempts where I used FAPs compared to Ironshields. However, Ironshields decrease your dmg taken from the dragon considerably, which is why I opted to go with those. Simply because of the whole stunning mechanic, I stack EH on this fight where I would otherwise be stacking avoidance more in SWP.

Waiting for Sathrovarr to stun Kalecgos is definitely a good idea, too.