Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magister's Terrace

Magister's Terrace

I've done it a few times and it isn't too tough...on regular anyways. The idea of doing it on heroic with less than 3 CC scares me.

The only real problems I have are handling the third boss, the priestess. One shotted it in a full guild run...but it was sloppy. And I don't like sloppy kills. In a pug it was dang near impossible.

My question is this, tanking her and X number of her adds seems very tough for me with all the stuns/traps/whatever her cronies do...so, how do you handle this fight?

Don't tank her. Have a rogue tank her, CC Mortal Strike Warrior, and make sure you have a decent healer.
    Ardalan - Tank
    Guild: Momentum
    Server: Scarlet Crusade

Third boss can be cc'd, if needed.

They are untankable- they run around like maniacs and are taunt immune.
    In heroic- we ran with 2 CC's. You need to CC the warrior-hits clothies for a lot, stuns-fears- also if you have the rogue, he needs to be CC also- does a lot of nasty stuff.

I will be running this a lot since I know for a fact the tanking trinket will never drop for me.

The heroic is not much more difficult than the normal really, Vexallus gets alot tougher, but the other bosses are still a joke.

And pretty much every melee trash can be mc'ed, which makes it silly easy to do trash.

This sounds like that summoned boss in the arena in BRD for the tier .5 questline. I always liked that fight!

I got extremely luck on my first run and scored [item]Nightstrike[/item] off the 3rd Boss encounter. It was a one-shot ordeal, and I barely had to do anything since everything's taunt immune. Just put on your best DPS gear and pretend you're Fury for 5 mins. Just make sure you maintain a hold on the MS Warrior (Naga) if CC isn't available for him, cause he will destroy clothies. The hunter causes problems too... I was Ice Trap'd for 10 secs near the end of the fight... thankfully the "pug" I hooked up with was actually a guild LF Tank, so they brought the T5/6 ferocity down upon them, making this a very easy first-time SPlat5

...however, contrary to the instruction I received from the supposed pro-raiders, I recommend taking out the Healers first, and taking all the physical melee classes as long as possible (as in "last to kill"), since we tanks can soak that sh*t up all day. (They had insisted on killing the Warlocks/Magisters first, then the Physicians.)

I have my rogue tank the physician while we take the rest out.
    Ardalan - Tank

I healed it and we got through. Aggro control was spotty and the 2 mages and shadow priest died a few times each. The bear tank did alright. 3 boss sucked. 2nd boss sucked because all the DPS tried to ignore the flares and nuke. He died but so did they. 1st boss is like a trash mob. We didn't touch the crystals, just nuked him......but 2 well geared fire mages and a shadow priest....

Nice huntard epic BP from Kael....but no one above leather in the group, lol.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

What we did last night, was (since the only CC we had were two hunter traps), this:

Pull them back into the courtyard, and trapped two as they came through. Had our priest blow a fear, as we nuked the Priestess down, and then turned to the Warrior add. When the mobs came back, I blew my Int. Shout, and continued nuking. We also had our Druid go bear and hang near the priest in case the warrior went at her, and overall did it. But, coming up with that strategy for us, took 6 tries ><

We had the Shaman, Rogue, Warrior, and Hunter adds. Of all the ones to get when we had no mage for sheeping, and we get that joke of a make-up.

bosses:

1. we found it much easier to just kill the boss asap then killing the crystals.
    --> you need group heal

2. have each of your DPS kill one add for the debuff then nuke him down. watch for 20% - he has to die very fast.

3. dont think of this as pve, think of it as it was pvp
    deal with the group like you would kill another arena team.
    taunt doesnt work, cc does. you have to interrupt the heal dude to kill him. sheep goes on the warri/rouge, they hurt.
    --> hunter / mage

4. kill the phoenix. stay away from the zapping bubbles. it helps a lot to have only ranged dps and again group healing.

I really like MT, imho its a very nice designed instance... not too much trash, some bosses are really fun and the look fits good.

We cleared it @ heroic with a Warri/Hunter/Mage/Pala/balance Druid Setup, and it went quite smooth except for the 3rd Boss where we wiped 3-4 times

In the end we killed the MS-Add first, Bomb thrower second and then just nuked the priestress. She didnt drop a Commendation of Kael'thas but i got a [item]Shard of Contempt[/item] instead, which is a pretty good threat trinket.

Kael is a joke compared to the Priestress -.-

We had Prot Warrior MT (me), Holy Paly, BM Hunter and 2 scary evil Warlocks. The Priestess (Moroes) fight was a pain until we figured out what they all were then it was shammy, MS warrior, Priestess, mage, rogue kill order. went fast. The 6 pull at the end with no CC was more complicated than the rest of the instance, lol.
    RaidWarning: Pulling Dumbass, now you can sheep/trap/shoot/cast.

Has anyone seen rogue sap used successfully and in what modes (normal/heroic)? I had a rogue in the group once. They unsuccessfully attempted to sap a mage guard (normal) on the 1st pull and we did not use them after that since many of the pulls had a mage guard. The trash warlock is definately seducable. The magister is definately immune to seduce. Anyone know for sure about the others? All the trash seems to be mind controllable, which one do you think is most advantageous to mind control? Has anyone had any luck mind controlling any of the adds from the Priestess boss pull? I had trouble with the 2nd boss on heroic in one group. I found it helped if I tab devastated a few of the adds to soak some of the debuffs

you can sap every humanoid in the instance

Few notes I have from last night's normal MgT attempt...corrections appreciated .=S

Group composition was: Prot War (me), Holy Priest, Combat Rogue, Feral Druid (bit undergeared), Destruction Warlock.

1st Boss: Kalithresh copy
    Similar tactics; ideally he should be tanked near one of the floating crystals. He will channel one of the crystals to drain mana for while the crystal is still available. DPS should focus on crystals to minimize his mana gained. Once the crystal is drained or destroyed, he will then chain-cast an AoE "Arcane Explosion" while making fart noises until his mana is completely drained.

2nd Boss: Curator copy
    ALL DPS ON FLAREZ NAOOOO~

Flares will be summoned and (i think?) keeps doing AoE arcane damage. Problem is, with each flare killed each person in the group will gain a debuff which increases Arcane damage taken by X amount but increases damage dealt by Y&#37;. This effect stacks. Boss will increase its damage output when it hits approx 10%.

3rd Boss: omg i haev no aggro
    I hate this boss. The adds just go all over the place and I'd rather try Moroes with people who've never done him before.

Didn't get past 3rd boss and called it. =_=;

EDIT: Preview Post looks weird, btw. Also, our lock said one of the trash mobs was immune to Seduce.
    I've got more plate than your grandma's cupboard.

only done this three times so far (normal mode).

Magister is immune to seduce and mind control, but sheepable.

If MC is available, i'd say the best choice would be the warlock. i think they have 1.5k immolates which is nasty on your party..but great against mobs. The blood knight may be another interesting choice as i think he's the one with a nasty holy dot that does 1.5k+ as well. We didnt try the coilskar witch but the forked lighting ability looks interesting. If you do use MC, be sure to CC any of the mobs that have aoe abilities as that wrecks havoc on the channeling of the spell.

Tanking didnt feel all that bad. I could be taking the wrong approach, but i almost feel it's overdone on the resists needed for 3 of the 4 bosses:

FR for selin to mitigate his AoE. Not really necessary i think. It is useful if you have a healer with none or limited group heal abilities. I ran in 240 FR. I'd say i mitigated ~50&#37; or so of the aoe damage.

AR for vellaxus as he's all arcane damage. I ran at 252. Similar to above, felt like i mitigated about 50% of the damage. Interesting thing is that i did not mitigate any of his arcane damage when he started overloading.

I went with AR for Kael to mitigate the dot from the gravity lapse and damage from the orbs so i could stay melee and keep whacking him. Physcial damage was pretty negligable regardless of what kind of "tank" gear i was in. FR gear isnt necessary as you can spell reflect his fireballs back at him. I have thought about going with a AR/DPS gear set up and stick on a shield just for phase 1...idea being to boost dps output for phase 2.

Who i really feel for with this instance is healers because of the party wide damage that occurs, particularly in the boss encounters. Not sure what is going on with blizzard's heads. Priest or druid healers dont have that big a problem in this instance compared with shamans and paladins.

Priest = renew, shields, prayer of healing for coverage
    Druid = lifebloom, rejuv, regrowth, tranquility for coverage
    Shaman = healing stream (which i think does not come near the coverage what the above 2 can in terms of hots), chain heal (provided ppl are in range of each other).
    Paladin = none

Not sure how it's worked for any when using protection consumables (arcane protection potions) for the fights as opposed to health / mana potions. Better? Worse? Negligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristessa View Post
    3rd Boss: omg i haev no aggro
    I hate this boss. The adds just go all over the place and I'd rather try Moroes with people who've never done him before.

Didn't get past 3rd boss and called it. =_=;

EDIT: Preview Post looks weird, btw. Also, our lock said one of the trash mobs was immune to Seduce.
    Check out Magisters' Terrace - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft. Good hints, tips, and info there. Actually wish i saw some of that before my attempts (i went to wowhead).

For the third boss, i tried tank gear for one attempt and just ditched it after as i felt pretty useless: wasnt getting much attention....wasnt putting out much damage. I went to my pretend-fury gear set up and i think i had much better returns as far as being useful. use whatever you have...hamstring, disarm, concussion blow, fear...etc. CC'ing as many as you can at the start is good. Sheep, sap, trap (distracting shot wont work for pull tho), seduce, and banish. Mind control i dont think will work tho (we tried on one and said immune...forget which).

Mage Guards are a great choice to MC. Not only do you keep your healer from getting knocked down by the glaives, but the glaive throw is also a high aggro move, so he ends up tanking half the pull.

Note for the First Boss in Heroic:

Kick/SB/interrupt the drain mana if it targets your healer. This CAN wipe the party.
    Ardalan - Tank