Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Netherspite's Red Beam

Netherspite's Red Beam

My group is having some trouble figuring out exactly how the red beam should be handled, i stood in it the full duration and got one shotted, so did my fellow druid tank, we would both take turns alternating between phases from green to red, then later decided to try moving in and out of the red beem for a second or two every 5-6 seconds....seemed to work, but i feel we just got lucky.
    I would really like to hear how other tanks deal with this fight and expalin in a little detail why they do what they do, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Ciderhelm; 03-24-2008 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unsurper View Post
    then later decided to try moving in and out of the red beem for a second or two every 5-6 seconds....seemed to work, but i feel we just got lucky.
    That's how you do it. Basically look at your debuff. Everytime it stacks 5 move out for about 5 seconds. You should still have plenty of threat without it.
    In the worst case if someone is going crazy on Omen then move back in before it pulls. And then back out again when you have a comfortable lead.
    You do this because the debuff ends up reducing your hp to 1 hittable numbers and you want to prolong that as much as possible.

The best way that I've found is actually the way you mentioned, jumping in and out of the beam. I go 3s in, 3s out (approximately), but I imagine that there's a more efficient in-out rotation. Regardless, though, doing the in-out rotation lets you tank the red beam for an entire phase, and then the other tank can tank it for the next, using the same trick.

It also makes it so that your HP never really dips that low, because in the end, you're really only taking the beam half the time, as if you were doing two tanks to a phase.

On that note, the feral druid could prob'ly do the tanking in his DPS gear, as I've seen hunters tank it before (not the full duration, mind you, but regardless). Just a thought, especially since their dodge will prob'ly be higher in DPS gear, regardless.

Just be sure you don't do the same on green beam. Had a surprise in one badge kara run, when the druid alt that was OT'ing kept dancing in/out of green beam.

They way I do this is that I take the red beam until I'm down to around 15k health. Then I step out, and stay out for the rest of the phase.
    The red beam reduces Netherspite's damage taken, so this way he goes down faster.
    He is completely tankable without the red beam, as long as noone else takes it. I normally don't bring an offtank to Netherspite, but tanking him alone requires better gear on the whole raid, in order to kill him off before the enrage timer.

I've found the best rotation that works for us is 5 ticks in/3 ticks out. I take the red beam first rotation and then the off-tank(usually a feral druid or pally) takes it the second rotation. During the second rotation I take the green beam for the entire time. Very important that the green beam never hits him or that no-one crosses into any beam. We tell our raids if they have to move to the other side of him to actually walk through netherspite.

During banish phases have the entire raid besides yourself head towards the back windows and you and one healer keep Netherspite up by the door. Have the ranged dps light him up from back there and you just hold aggro on him.

Can you really move in and out of the beam. When I step into the red beam I stay there for around 30 seconds, then I get a debuff that prevents me from taking up the red beam for 90 seconds. What you are talking about above does not seem at all possible to me.

What am I missing? Someone care to enlighten me?

They made the beams somewhat forgiving in case someone runs infront of you, so that you basically have a few seconds before you get the nether exhaustion. Incidently, this allows you to skip in and out of the beam without getting exhaustion until the phase ends.

I see, never thought of that. That's good information.

Yeah, I didn't find out until a long time after I'd started Netherspite. I used to do it with 4 "tanks" (2 real tanks, and then a hunter and an elemental shammy as the other tanks :P). Finding this out made it... much easier.

We do it like this way. One tank in the 1st phase 1 jumps in and out of the red beam. The red beams buff lasts for 20 seconds (according to wowwiki) before you get the red nether exhaustion. Im usually just out of the beam for 5-6 seconds. When you have about 30 of the debuffs you will have the same amount of hp as you normally have (but then phase 2 should start). We have a melee (not mana user) dps tank the green beam during that phase. Everyone else, even healers and dpsers, stands in the blue beam and recieve the beam for 15 seconds not more nor less. This for optimizing the number of players that can handle the beam plus the dmg done (because of the nether aura) on the raid will be as small as possible. In the 2nd 1st phase my OT beam dances the red beam and I tank the green beam for the full phase 1.

As dps/healer is really simple because when you have been in the blue beam the debuff (nether exhaustion) will handle the order of whom are getting the beam. So the only thing you have to remember is to look where the blue beam spawns run there and stand in the blue beam for 15 seconds (if you recieve it, otherwize just stay in it, debuff will handle it) and get out of the blue beam. We usually mark one guy to be the one closest to the portal so he will always get the blue beam first, all the others just stand between him and netherspite. Then the rest will be handeled by the blue beam's debuff. If you have a good dpser and Netherspite has about 10% hp left and phase 1 starts that dpser could stand in the blue beam for the whole phase and just nuke. Healers have to remember to keep him alive.
    Last edited by Gzipper; 03-24-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Clarified stuff. Need to learn to spell properly.

Quote Originally Posted by sevve View Post
    They way I do this is that I take the red beam until I'm down to around 15k health. Then I step out, and stay out for the rest of the phase.
    The red beam reduces Netherspite's damage taken, so this way he goes down faster.
    He is completely tankable without the red beam, as long as noone else takes it. I normally don't bring an offtank to Netherspite, but tanking him alone requires better gear on the whole raid, in order to kill him off before the enrage timer.
    if the red beam reduces the damage netherspite takes, how would that cause him to go down faster.

i fine that the in out sequence the best in the red beam the green beam is for non mana users and may be stayed in the full duration in one cycle

Quote Originally Posted by truelife View Post
    i fine that the in out sequence the best in the red beam the green beam is for non mana users and may be stayed in the full duration in one cycle
    Yeah when I take the green beam in rotation 2 (got red beam rotation 1) I stay for the duration. The Green Beam is really the one that CANT hit him at all.

We do it with 4 people assigned to the red beam. Me and a holy pally in it the first time, feral druid and rogue in it the second time. I'm in it for the first half of the phase straight through, then the holy pally dances in and out of it the rest of the time. We also use the Shammy-totem Phase2 method (because we go with a lot of clothies and two healers, which means they get blowed up more frequently in P2), which is why we don't have one tank dancing in and out (since we lose DPS on P2, we can't afford the red beam hitting him too much).

We've never had a problem with enraging, and rarely wipe on him. It's probably a slower kill than the other method if you full DPS him through Phase2, but it works for us.

Don't watch your debuff, and dont stand in for 15 seconds then move out, and don't time it, watch Netherspite's debuffs. You get the red beam, then immediately step out, when netherspite gets 3-5 Red beam debuffs on him, you move back into the beam until The debuff wears off of netherspite. Repeat this until the phase ends, if done right you should never get mroe than 20 stacks on yourself, and Netherspite should never have more than 5 on him at any time.

Thank for all of the feed back, appreciate it.

I tried tanking Netherspite a few times and failed. I had a bit of bad timing to jump out and in the red beam.
    So I used another tactic.
    We had two dps shamans in our raid, I was offtanking.
    So I told the mt, he would take red beam along with 1 dps shaman in first portal phase.
    And I would take it with the other dps shaman in the next portal phase.
    This tactic worked like a charm.

We use a MT and an OT. MT does the red beam for a phase then the blue beam for a phase, then repeats that untill netherspite is dead. The OT does the opposite. So while the OT is in the red beam the MT is in the green beam (the healing one). Each takes the red beam for an entire phase at a time. You step into it... stay for about 2-3 seconds then step out for about 6-10 seconds. Then step back into it for another 2-3 seconds and repeat untill the phase is over.

Works like a charm. Every time. The two of us deal with every beam except the dps beam.

With a MT and someone capable of OT'ing the above strat is by far the simplest way to go.