Thread: Archimonde Hill Strat

Archimonde Hill Strat

Recently we got our first Archimonde kill using the hill strat. Admittedly we didn't really think through the consequences and have tarnished ourselves for using the strat.

Tanking it was a bit more rough than the normal strat just because of more Doomfire damage.

The strat is controversial in whether it is a technical exploit or not. To me it made the fight too easy and felt exploitive.

What are your thoughts on the strat? Should Bliz remove the ability to use this? Would it be better to get your first kill using the normal strat and then use the hills from then on to farm him?

It seems this debate is more an issue of morals than anything.

I don't know what "The Hill Strat" is, but going out and engaging him in the middle and letting him run to you isn't exactly rockey surgery.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride" - Hunter

archimonde.wmv - FileFront.com

There is a decent video of how it's done.

When Blizzard patch's it so you can't do that strat in 2.4 GG welcome back to the learning curve again.And now instead of you taking the initial attempts on this fight and do it the proper way now once its patched you have to go back now and start from scratch and lose potential Sunwell and or extra BT time that you would of had from doing it properly the first time.

My outlook on this i think its cheep taking elements out of a boss fight completely defeats the purpose of raiding to me, i play for the challenge of Raiding mind you Hyjall and 1/2 of BT was kinda lack luster.

But still if you dumb down fights to that degree whats the point of playing?
    Last edited by Murdog; 03-21-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: I cant type trying to correct some of the many errors >.<
    The answer is user error

My guild has just started making serious attempts on Archie and someone had suggested to us to use the hill strat. Thankfully that was just plain shot down by myself and the other officers. To make the last boss in Hyjal as easy as the first boss by removing his number one raid killing ability form the encounter leaves little challenge or sense of accomplishment when you finally get him down.

We are probably going to use the 4 point strat as we don't see what's so difficult about this. Our biggest issue so far were people not clicking their tears in time

To quote the funniest Archi strat I saw on our guild forums:
    Enjoy making fun of all the newbs who cannot master clicking their Tears of the Goddess after an airburst. You will hear all kinds of excuses as people wipe the raid on this fight. While learning the encounter just go in with the mentality that you are going to wipe a number of times until the newbs figure out how to not be newb. Feared into doomfire = newb, airburst and landed in doomfire = newb, kiting doomfire in a neat little circle around the melee = giant newbery. This fight can be a good way to identify the morons in your guild and laugh at them.
    There are no men like me, there is only me.

Ya after the one kill we've decided to just focus on BT and go to MH when the patch hits.

For those that don't know in 2.4 they are adding an "invisible wall" to the hills so you cannot even approach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Colon View Post
    My guild has just started making serious attempts on Archie and someone had suggested to us to use the hill strat. Thankfully that was just plain shot down by myself and the other officers. To make the last boss in Hyjal as easy as the first boss by removing his number one raid killing ability form the encounter leaves little challenge or sense of accomplishment when you finally get him down.

We are probably going to use the 4 point strat as we don't see what's so difficult about this. Our biggest issue so far were people not clicking their tears in time
    tell people that it's better to click too early rather than too late. taking a little damage and surviving is better than trying to take no damage and dying because you didn't click in time.

Hello. Like people said, the "hill strat" is getting nerfed in 2.4. I made a small video to illustrate the invisible wall.

Archimonde hill&#039;s strat nerf : Online Video | Veoh Video Network

The best comparison to this is the "hallway strat" on prince, before they forcibly closed the door.

Tank him at the broken pillar by the door, have the ranged stand at the end of the hallway... no shadow nova, no infernals.

Though, there is another spot where you wont get bothered by infernals so much..

Welcome back to the learning curve Edhellin 2.4 hit today hope you have smart ppl in your raid, No more "Hill Strat"
    The answer is user error

Quote Originally Posted by Murdog View Post
    Welcome back to the learning curve Edhellin 2.4 hit today hope you have smart ppl in your raid, No more "Hill Strat"
    No need to be so condescending about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Murdog View Post
    thx

The hill strat never worked for us. We tried once, it was 4 wipes in a row until we said "Eff this". Went back to the old strat of tanking him in Utah (aka middle of nowhere) and one shot him.

Quote Originally Posted by Caulle View Post
    The hill strat never worked for us. We tried once, it was 4 wipes in a row until we said "Eff this". Went back to the old strat of tanking him in Utah (aka middle of nowhere) and one shot him.
    I find this strat to be exploitive. I would not recommend it and from past experiences it will really not give you the sense of accomplishment you want from killing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilogram View Post
    I find this strat to be exploitive. I would not recommend it and from past experiences it will really not give you the sense of accomplishment you want from killing him.

Finally got him last night and one of our hunters got feared and stuck behind the invisible wall for the kill. Took about 4 1/2 raid nights and approximately 65-70 attempts using the 4 point strat. It was definitely a great feeling watching 11% tick down and unloading with execute spams.