Thread: Vashj Phase2 Coilfang Elite pickup

Vashj Phase2 Coilfang Elite pickup

My apologies if there are other threads such as this. I searched, but did not see any.

Alright, my guild just recently got to Vashj, and getting her to phase 2 is surprisingly easy. Much easier than I thought it was going to be. However, phase 2 is the huge mess of stuff we need to work through. Now, we've managed to get generators down albeit sloppily. We have our basic problems that should solve themselves as we continue to gear while working towards her. IE: Killing the elites/striders before the next spawns, etc.

What I'm concerned with is the act of actually picking up the elites before they gank any of our raid. It seems like we're having an elite kill at the very least, 1 person per spawn before our tanking crew can get them aggro'd and under control in the center. I've made a macro of /target coilfang elite and whatnot to help me find them, but ultimately it's not effective enough.

For obvious reasons, the first elite is the easiest pickup, but we've had even the first one pick off one of our players before us tanks could get it controlled. What advice can be offered to help with that?

Theres a few things you can do

The Naga will initially usually aggro a healer on the "lip" of the stairs so make sure you know where they are in relation to you.

Get people to shout on vent or ping the map for the spawn of the naga, intervene > taunt, feral charge or Avengers shield to grab it.

Assign a paladin healer for the naga tank/vashj p2 damage, position him near Vashj, cast righteous fury and heal up anyone in range to get healing aggro on the naga.

Good communication with your guild calling out "Elilte south" or "Elite North" will help greatly. Additionally, stand on vashj, the shortest and thus fastest point to an unknown point on a circle is from the middle. Keep intercept / intervene up always during this. Have ONE tank tank elites, have the other one assisting with cores / picking up elites and bringing them to the elite tank.

Goodluck.

We use two tanks on elitees, one tank will handle north/east and the other south/west, They key to it is communication, the entire raid needs to be watching whent he timer hits, and someone needs to call out hwere it spawned asap

gonna move this to the ssc discussion forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

What worked for us (flawlessly)

- Nagas are tanked in the kite path, so healers can be in center
    - Healers in the center remove salvation. Pally healers in the center use righteous fury. This will most of the times ensure the nagas will run straight to the center.
    - Do not use south/north/east/west or up/right/left/down as people get confused so easily. Get used to dividing the room in "sector 1, 2, 3 and 4"
    - Have people in the stairs have the responsibility to announce the nagas over ventrilo. But it needs to me be something quick, just the words "Naga 4" is what you want. We had trouble with hunters saying "hummm I can see a naga going up the stairs here in sector three". LOL, someone dies before he finishes the sentence. "Naga 3", "Strider 2" is what you want.
    - Do not wait for the nagas in the very center. For the initial pickup have one of the tanks stay very north with his camera turned south, and the other very south with his camera turned north. No camera turning makes it much better.
    - And alternative is to have a pally tank to agro the Nagas, it works quite well since he can taunt at distance. Just instruct priests/pallies to not bubble/fade or that might ruin the pally taunt.

Above everything keep communication minimum over vent, you really need the channel empty critical messages like "Batte-rez John Joe", "Strider 2", "Naga 1", "Core 4", "4th core looted, get ready".

regards,

We use a paladin healer without salvation and with righteous fury to draw the naga to him. Just make sure that the other healers know to leave someone for him to heal else it wont work.

I've found it immensely helpful to extend my maximum camera distance. There's an in-game command like:

/script SetCVar("cameraDistanceMax", 30)

Assuming your rig can handle it, this helps a lot in fights like A'lar and Vashj. I can extend the camera back far enough that I can see almost a full 180 degree area. You can also get it high enough so that you can see "over" the lip and partly down the stairs. During Vashj I just keep my head on a swivel and watch for the Naga coming up the stairs. You'll get used to picking them out of the crowd - they move differently than anything else because they have that naga swagger going on.

P.S. I can't remember the exact number I used - I think it was 30, but you can fiddle with it a little (+/- 10). Don't go too overboard, though.

well, we just took out all but vashj tonight in SSC. A first for us, we usually don't do more than 3 bosses but tonight we downed all 5. i think we'll be trying to healer (pally) in the center without salv (and Righteous Fury) to grab quick aggro on the elites and tanks just pick them up when they near the center. I being the warrior will tank the elites, our prot pally will be on the lookout to taunt off our healadin in the center and tank until the first elite dies, at which point I taunt off. Or in a perfect world, the elite will already be dead and the pally will range taunt, bring to the center and I taunt / tank.

It seems like this will be the most effective way without anyone having to go out of their way too much, if at all.

We always divided the platform in 6 zones where we had 3 holy paladins healing zone 1+2, 3+4 and 5+6 each. Smart thing about this is that they can easily take a beating from the nagas if your tanks are busy/slow (or have a hamstring or something). They also have their bubble and they can cleanse the poison from the tainted elementals on everybody in the raid.
    AND the very smart thing is that since they are positioned all around the platform they can hammer of justice any spawning Strider, which helps a LOT for the person picking up those.

We only use a single holy paladin for this but having more could help if the paladin is struggling to find someone to heal - damn those chain heals

Edit: My apologies I did not read the entire thread before posting this reply, this was already covered.

The second tank should pick the second naga and move it to spot where the other naga is being tanked and killed by the melee. This reduces time spent by melee running around and allows melee to use bladefury/whirldwind/etc to damage two adds, optimizing your DPS.

Vashj 2nd phase is a battle of optimizing your dps.

Our strat has already been listed, but I'll add a vote to it.

First of all, we position 4 of our healers on the pylons, so they're relatively close. Either a pally without salv and righteous fury, or a tree druid (rolling lifebloom on 3 targets gives them a ton of initial threat) clicks off salv, and the naga will almost always run to that person. A quick intervene/taunt will let you pick him up even from range, and drag him back to position.

The people on the stairs are calling out where the naga spawns from, because I will try to pick up the naga before it ever reaches the target. A quick note on the directions... to the left of the platform when you're coming up from the bridge is a rock. That rock is North. As long as you tell the entire raid before hand that the rock signifies north, then using cardinal directions becomes really easy to do.

What amazes me is how quickly phase 2 can finish if you don't miss a tainted core. Stating the obvious I know but problems increase the longer this phase continues.