+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving up to MT

Moving up to MT

So I left my previous guild and joined a new one. I was previously the best geared tank in my guild, I'm the best geared tank in my new guild (although I never get to MT). The guild was recruiting a prot warrior, it turns out to fill the gap left by the warrior CL taking a break. Now the warrior CL is back. To make it even more unlikely that I will ever MT anything, the GL is a prot paladin. Tank death in this guild is a fairly common occurance (and the amount of healers they bring to compensate is rather funny to me)

I am getting somewhat tired of watching tanks with nowhere near my gear die on raid bosses. My question is: How do I move up the tanking ranks without offending anyone?

Options I'm thinking about (and a how much of an ass this makes me rating *****):
    Pointing out the gear disparity between me and other tanks *****
    Posting on the forums that I would like some MT time to prove myself ***
    Pointing out that I have tanked HKM with a single healer ****
    Tank Kara until healers realize "Hmm it is nearly impossible for this tank to die"

I don't know which to do.. soon I may be rolling fury just because there really isn't a raid spot for a 4th tank. The wait and see approach just isn't working, since I never tank anything difficult, I have no opportunity to prove myself.

Suggestions?

My GL is a prot paladin and I MT all the time so I don't think class has much to do with his decision making process. Prove your skills by tanking whatever you can, the MT job is more about skill and guild confidence and only partially about gear to me.

Anyone can smack on some high item level equipment and proclaim to be a great tank but only some of them can actually perform. Not saying it's the problem in your case but you don't know if thats what they think since you haven't asked.

Just mention to the GM that you don't want to step on any toes but you'd like to try tanking a boss sometimes and you'd like to know if theres anything you need to improve on.

Then at least you'd know why they don't ask you now and you can make a decision from there.

It doesn't hurt to not irritate officers and the main tanks though since even when I'm not tanking I'm evaluating other tanks in the guild performance and having conversations about them with the GL. Telling them how they are doing everything wrong will not get you to a MT position. Right or wrong what they are doing is working well enough to get them where they are today.

Bring the problem up quietly with whoever assigns tanks during the raid.

Maybe I'm the exception, but I really hate the idea of a "main tank". I do my best to rotate people through different jobs as we go, assuming they're geared for it.

I wouldnt really do any of those, except for posting on the forums, but really, I would send tells to a few officers asking what they want you to do. (Ideally a healing officer, because they usually have alot of behind the scenes power)

If they dont recognize the gear disparity on they're own, ask them to check out your gear on armory to see what you should upgrade next, thats how I got moved up the ladder in my guild (I had all my badge stuff + everything from kara, and was on the level with our other three tanks atm)

In past experiences, even when I myself was the main tank of a guild, its rarely about who is geared the best. When you step into a progression guild, one thats been together for quite a while, you have to realize... the people who have their spots have them for one reason or another. I was titled as MT not because I was the best geared (not at first) but because I had shown up for every raid, been there for every downing of every boss, did the research, helped build the guild, and people felt confident in my ability to tank. People do not take too kindly to others rubbing in their face that they are better geared especially when said person is trying to uproot them from their spot.

My suggestion, is to try to find the spot where you belong. Not everyone can be the MT...and if your guild actually has designated MTs...it may not be the best guild. Back when I was the MT of the guild I ran...I tried to shuffle people in and out when they got geared enough. I would sit out and let others get in to tank because IMO, there is nothing more exhilerating than downing that 25man boss the first time as a guild...when you're the one tanking it.

Bringing up the gear level differences will probably only get you a gkick...or quite a bit of disrespect from the members. Its the worst way to go about it.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Maybe I'm the exception, but I really hate the idea of a "main tank". I do my best to rotate people through different jobs as we go, assuming they're geared for it.
    I agree entirely. We kinda have what we call MT's but it's really a core group of tanks who have demonstrated the skill and have the gear to perform in that function not a single person. People you'd be happy to put in front of a progression boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonerot View Post
    I agree entirely. We kinda have what we call MT's but it's really a core group of tanks who have demonstrated the skill and have the gear to perform in that function not a single person. People you'd be happy to put in front of a progression boss.
    We don't have designated MTs, it just that I generally won't be put in front of a boss if the GL or Warrior CL is there. I may go fury, but it seems such a waste of tanking gear.

So talk to the GL and tell them you are interested in having a go at a boss sometime. Don't go public or confrontational is what we are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonerot View Post
    So talk to the GL and tell them you are interested in having a go at a boss sometime. Don't go public or confrontational is what we are saying.
    I think the armory idea/telling the GL privately that I'd like a little tank time/proving myself in Kara is going to be my approach. Any further suggestions are welcome.

Deffinately have a chat with the GM (though preff not right before a raid ).

I find it very easy to just MT everything myself in our guild, unless someone asks if they can have a go too you can easily forget they might be getting bored of off-tanking all the time.

One of the big issues I think for tanking raid bosses is trust. Your raid-leader needs to trust that you will know what you are doing, your healers need to trust that they can keep you up and your dps'ers need to trust that they wont be pulling aggro. A good way to get around this could be by asking your GM if you could tank farm bosses and see what he says.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Bring the problem up quietly with whoever assigns tanks during the raid.

That's how my guild does it too. I like to suggest that other tanks give MTing bosses that we've downed a try. Unfortunately I also like to MT the bosses that we haven't downed before

I would suggest bringing up the rotation idea with the idea that it's not about who MTs but getting other tanks familiar w/ the role if they have to do it.

Over the last 2-3 years, I've found that who is MT and the ordering of tanks in the raids tends to be far more political than kit-based or skill-based.

Guild Masters and raid leaders always seem to choose the comfortable option and let the same old MT tank whenever possible. You can do a great job when he's not around, but once he's back, you're #2 again.

If you show any sign of being better at tanking than the old familar MT then you can get slapped down. Tanks seem to be incredibly sensitive to their relative ranks in the raid. Even to where they appear on ora2's MT display

I'm only MT in my current guild because the previous MT had an emo fit about his loot not dropping and quit playing the game. I wouldn't have got there at all were he still playing. I'd always be #2, no matter that I think I'm more skillfull, and have better kit

-- gyre --

One thing I'd like to add is that, as GL and MT, I'd be happy for someone to take over my MT role or at least be able to replace my spot.

The problem is, who will lead the raid? =S
    I've got more plate than your grandma's cupboard.

I know myself, being my guilds MT and an officer of the guild, I am always looking for other tanks to take my place on the raids. We currently have KZ, Gruul's is an EZ down, and are currently working on getting the strats for ZA boss battles straightened out. Usually when were just farming KZ for badges, I will have one of the newer tanks MT most of the instance while I eather through on DPS gear, or just sit and watch in my tanking gear just too make sure sh^t doesn't hit the fan.

It seems to work well, and gives our up and coming tanks more confidence.

Now when it comes to tanking new content, or content that isn't on, "Farm," your not going to get me too step back from being the MT, thats just the way it is. If we wipe, I want it to be on my shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Clik View Post
    I know myself, being my guilds MT and an officer of the guild, I am always looking for other tanks to take my place on the raids. We currently have KZ, Gruul's is an EZ down, and are currently working on getting the strats for ZA boss battles straightened out. Usually when were just farming KZ for badges, I will have one of the newer tanks MT most of the instance while I eather through on DPS gear, or just sit and watch in my tanking gear just too make sure sh^t doesn't hit the fan.

It seems to work well, and gives our up and coming tanks more confidence.

Now when it comes to tanking new content, or content that isn't on, "Farm," your not going to get me too step back from being the MT, thats just the way it is. If we wipe, I want it to be on my shoulders.
    Don't be shy Clik.

It's ok to say, ...and when we get that guild first, I want to be on point too.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride" - Hunter

+ Reply to Thread