+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Threat/ Aggro problems

Threat/ Aggro problems

From time to time I seem to have problems holding aggro. Even if I'm at top of threat meter. Sometimes it's triggerhappy dps:ers yes, but not always. And I think I'm using all the skills I can to the max. I've tried to switch weapon to do more dmg (Terrok's nightmace)* and it worked in BM, but not Shattered Halls or Steamvault.

*(And if you could tell me how to link stuff with this nice mouseover thingy so you can check out the mace)

Someone told me to go for more Hit rating, but I don't want to socket gems for that. Thinking about 2% threat on gloves, any good?

Any ideas here would be helpful.

Link to Armory

*$

To do item links, type [_item_]Terokk's Nightmace[/_item_], without the _'s

[item]Terokk's Nightmace[/item]

Don't gem for +hit rating as a tank. It's totally not worth it.

Definitely get 2% threat on gloves if you're having threat issues.

If you're having issues with threat, expertise > hit > shield block value. Look for items that have high amounts of those, and keep you over 490 defense. Right now I see that you're just at 490 defense, so you may want to consider throwing in a pair of 4def/6sta gems in your BP to give you a little more room to work with (that's what I'd done).

Your gear looks very similar to what mine was when I was starting heroics, and I didn't have many problems with threat (although I'm an orc, so I had an extra 5 expertise from axe specialization).

Looking at your spec, you could definitely improve your threat by changing a few things around. Improved Shield Wall isn't really worth the 2 talent points when you're running 5-mans, IMO. I'd definitely get 5/5 cruelty in its place. Crits are huge for threat.

What sort of rotation are you doing? Are you doing SS > Rev > Dev > Dev? Are you using Heroic Strikes frequently? When you're losing threat, is it on your primary target or is this on a non-CC'd mob that you're not actively killing? Are you losing threat on the pull, or are you losing threat on bosses at 50%?

Depending on the answers to these questions, there are different ways to tweak your spec and combat tactics to hold threat better.

I could gear for more def but I switched gear around for max stamina. Didn't think I had to go beyond 490.

Expertise is the stat to go for, I figured. [item]Terokk's Nightmace[/item] has some of that, any suggestions on other weapon/ trinket/ stuff with expertise to go for?

My rotation is usually get 5 sunders up before SS - Rev - Dev - Dev. I could try start off with SS instead. I never understood if Sunder Armor is obsolete and I should use Devestate instead since that patch change?

I don't use heroic strike but will try that.

Last time in Shatt Halls, I lost the 2nd boss right off the bat. (and that was dps:ers fault) And he's immune to taunt. Really hard to get back on his threat list. 3rd boss I lost just once in the middle, for no specifik reason. He just turned his back on me and went for the mage who was popping adds.

Trash mobs I can hold pretty well, but I don't think they stay on me hard enough. Slips away from time to time, which is annoying to start chasing them and spamming taunt.

My plan now is to start farming for [item]The Sun Eater[/item] and do last 2 parts in Kara pre-quest and then go into Kara. But I don't want to go in there and lose all mobs around me. Anything else I need before going in there?

*$

Devastate for the 5 sunders right off, then ss and rev. I hit heroic strike while the ss and rev are on cd. Spamming devastate doesnt give as much threat as spamming heroic strike once you have the 5 sunders up. Just the occasional to renew the timer on the sunders is all you need

Don't worry about kara, you multi tank more in heroics then you do in kara IMO. Never seen that mace, nice expertise, but that low a dps probably isn't helping you, Sun Eater is a good idea. And please don't listen when someone says "Never gem for hit, totally not worth it!" I personally have 2 hit gems, 1 in goggles, 1 in khorium destroyer, because I like the threat I generate carrying higher hit rating. I am not saying I am right, jsut that it is a personal choice for how you like to tank, I hate absolute answers.

Thx for feedback guys. I read up on Veneretio's Tankingtips also, and it seems I have to work on some details in rotation. And start using HS when possible.

A faster weapon might be something? [item]Latro's Shifting Sword[/item] from BM maybe? I wish I choosed weaponsmith, cause armorsmith sux.

*$

I'd use Latro's. I'd also invest in some [item]Adamantite Sharpening Stone[/item] (Get a BS friend to make them for you, the mats are pretty cheap) if you dont have a shaman in the group, if you do, ask him nicely to put down Windfury.

I cant check your spec at work but I would take 2/2 Imp Bloodrage if you don't have it, this lets you get a Shield Slam right after casting a Bloodrage. I'd also spec into some heroic/5man friendly talents and out of some unfriendly ones.

Imp taunt: Its annoying to have to keep taunting but you can play some nice tricks here. Pull > conc blow > white attacks to get rage > taunt right at the end of the conc timer (use a timer mod like NECB) to steal your DPS'ers threat > slam > etc. I used this a massive amount in heroics.

Imp Heroic/Sunder/Focused Rage: All a big help, dont spam heroic unless you have 40%+ rage.

Imp Shield Bash: Useful for the silence effect, can also daze for more threat from heroic stike.

Cruelty is also very nice as well as 1h spec.

Imp Revenge is situational, its good for your healer, not for threat. (no incoming rage)

I would open with slam > devestate x3 > slam > devestate x2 > revenge > slam > etc.

Are you a clicker? If so, you may want to consider finding a way to use the keyboard to use all of your abilities/pots/trinkets comfortably.

I use the Num Pad to access my offensive abilities including taunt, shield block and trinkets, and I use my left hand for movement, shouts, and LS/SW.

You can also use WWS to analyze how you're using your abilities. One thing I immediately noticed, when analyzing my WWS stats, was that most of my damage was coming from regular melee attacks. When I looked at other tanks, most of their damage was coming from Heroic Strike/Devastate, Shield Slam, and Revenge.

What was holding me back was keeping my hand on the mouse clicking things like pots and other abilities like SW/LS, and putting my left hand in uncomfortable positions to reach other abilities. When I completely took my hands off the mouse and put together a comfortable keybinding setup, my WWS started to look like it should, and my threat output increased dramatically. My response times also increased as a result, because I no longer had to move my hands. I just move my finger slightly and press a key, which takes no time or effort at all.

+ Reply to Thread