+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVE and Armor Penetration. What to give up?

PVE and Armor Penetration. What to give up?

First off, I've been reading these forums for a long time and playing WoW since release, just never bothered to register and contribute today. Secondly, I appologize if this is in the wrong forum, I saw at least 2-3 that it could have fit in and just figured this would work.

So, on to the good stuff. I've decided to start getting my prot warrior some fury gear because I missed DPSing naxx and aq40 on my warrior pre-bc. I'm pretty much caught up on all the changes after reading Meeks guide, so I started looking at gear.

I made 2 different sets of gear. One focuses on AP/Str/Crit, the other on Armor Penetration(Arp from now on). The second set sacrifices some of those other stats in order to stack Arp.

The difference between the two sets is that with the Arp set I would lose about 1-2% crit, 100-150 AP, and 6-10 hit. In turn, I gain about 1130 Arp(don't have the exact numbers on me). This seemed like a pretty decent tradeoff, but when I ran the numbers in the DPS sim at maxdps.com, the difference was only 15-20 dps. I know that simulator isn't exactly accurate, in fact it's several hundres dps off on my enhancement shaman.

Could anyone tell me if the Arp would scale better than the AP/Str/Crit gear?

Also, all the numbers I used were unbuffed, and didn't include CoR or executioner.

ArP most definitely scales better - especially if you have Executioner on your weapons. As long as you're past 142 hit, I wouldn't worry at all about losing that 6-10 hit; your yellow hits will still be capped.

The crit/ap you're losing is fairly minimal compared to the ArP you're gaining. Personally, I would go for 1k ArP over 2% crit and 150 AP in a heartbeat.

What are your thoughts on going exe/exe with a setup like this? I plan on gathering as much arp gear as I can. My guild is in bt/hyjal but I'm raiding on my enhancement shaman, however gear from there is a possibilty in the future.

Anyway, I know executioner doesn't stack, but mongoose is pretty weak for warriors and potency is potency. Would it be worth it to keep the debuff up longer? Or go with the extra 40 ap?

You say you have read Meek's guide, yet ask nothing but questions answered in it already. Read it again DW Fury Guide

I am unsure as to why you would think mongoose is weak for warriors as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Centx View Post
    You say you have read Meek's guide, yet ask nothing but questions answered in it already. Read it again DW Fury Guide

I am unsure as to why you would think mongoose is weak for warriors as well.
    QFT.

Read the guide.

Why do people read a guide and think its the end-all reference to everything you could ever want to know? I've read the guide. I get it. But I'm asking about weapon enchants for this particular build, where having the extra benefit from dual executioner might actually pay off.

Sorry I don't live by a guide instead of using it as a reference?

PS. I said mongoose is weak because the point of the enchant is the agility and not the haste. For the most part, warriors want more AP when they're already at the 30%+ crit chance. That'd be why alot of t6 fury warriors go exe/potency.

The main argument against dual Executioner is the fact that they do not stack. With just my MH enchanted, it seems to proc fairly often. If the OH were to proc while the buff from my MH was still up, and it doesn't overwrite/extend the buff, then it's wasted. I'd rather have the solid AP gain from Potency on my OH.

Last I heard when executioner procs while its active, the buff is refreshed instead of adding another buff like mongoose does. The only reason I was considering dual exe is because with it mainhand the enchant averages out to be ¬300ish extra Arp.

I'm sure someone could do the math and figure out how much you would get from having it on your offhand; I'll just guess 100. That would equal out to be an extra ¬400 Arp on top of what I get from gear, and since I haven't tried a setup like this I don't know if it outweighs the +40 AP. Hence the post.

Thanks for keeping an open mind, I appreciate an actual response.

+ Reply to Thread