+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LOL, yet another "Am I good enough" thread

LOL, yet another "Am I good enough" thread

Ok, so I'm a prot warrior. Ive been one ever since minutes after hitting 70, its been hell getting good gear. Here is the link to my gear: The World of Warcraft Armory Ive been running Kara for the last couple of weeks, but it has been slightly unsuccessful. I'm not sure if my gear is holding me back, or, if its the rest of the group. Ive been told by many I have the skill but no luck in gear. Any recomendations in anything else I should switch out? Thanks.

I Dont think it will be your gear that is holding you back, as When i first started i had aroudn the same level gear and was able to get through to prince. So that wold lead me to think that it is something else in the raid that is causing problems.

My only suggestion is to avoid gemming for the socket bonus and focus on 12/9 Stam gems in everything you can, aslong as you dont go under the Def cap ofc. This will give the healers move breathing room.

Hope this helped slightly.

Regards,

Silthias

When I first started Kara, I, too, was wearing this kind of gear.

I realized you're not wearing any badge gear... Cloak, necklace, wrist, gloves, belt, legguards are all very good items (actually better than the ones at Kara.) I wouldn't recommend the necklace at this point. Maybe getting a few of these may help? Cloak and wrist cost 35 badges each.

Badge gear is not required for kara - you have over 1.5k more hp than I had when I started kara, obvious improvements would be the legs from Keepers of Time reputation, cloak from Steamvaults and the sha'tar reputation shield.

What do you consider "slightly unsuccessful" where are you having problems?

Also are you dieing due to burst damage; healers going oom; dps pulling agro?

Do you healers have 1200+ healing and your magic dps'er 700+ primary damage school? Are you MT'ing or OT'ing and who's your OT/T are they having similar problems?

What heroics have you run, and how successfully?

I'd recommend a slight talent revamp - max points in vitality, one hand spec and focused rage. Imp taunt, shield bash and revenge can all be dropped. Ofc all talent specs are open to personal preferences and really only maxing out vitality would make you more surviveable.

Apologies for answering a question with several questions
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Agreed with Shorty. Drop Piercing Howl, Unbridled Wrath, Imp Shield Bash, Imp Revenge, and Imp Taunt like bad habits. Max Anticipation, Vitality, 1h Specialization, and Imp Sunder instead. Get [item]Glyph of the Defender[/item] and [item]Timewarden's Leggings[/item] from Keepers of Time, either the Badge cloak or [item]Devilshark Cape[/item] (Steamvault), +150 health on chest, +12 def on wrists, [item]Clefthide Leg Armor[/item] for your pants, +12 stam boots, [item]Crest of the Sha'tar[/item] from maxing sha'tar rep and put +18 stam on it, and put ANY enchant on your axe, just to have one. Drop two [item]Solid Star of Elune[/item]s into your shoulders, you'll probably have them for a while. Put at least +9 stam gems in your boots, gloves, wrists, and legs (ignore socket bonuses). If you get the KoT legs, +12 stam gem all the way. Yes, you absolutely need to do all these enchants and gemming. Being a prot warrior is very expensive. Have your guild help you on daily runs if you're hard up for gold.

One other suggestion is to read up on every boss battle and trash mob and Wowwiki and bosskillers.com. Even if you're not the raid leader you'll find out things you didn't know about abilities and strats and some good tips.

Timewarden's would probably be one of your better bets, just cram it full of stam gems with a decent leg path as mentioned above.

Also look at enchants (as mentioned above), +150hps to chest (looks un-enchanted) would be a bonus and fairly simple, regemming gloves would also be a fairly cheap upgrade. If you need Hps and Def you could always bung in the def/stam gem in the gun. Which i've done, and seen a couple of people do when juggling gear around, especially if/when you start picking up badge items.

A cheap shield is the Ogrila rep one and is much better than what you have. I had the same and farmed ogrila rep/dailys to pick it up, and used the cash to fund gems and enchants. I've just replaced it with the shatar one, as I regemmed it with str gems for hahadps, with NB being nice.
    Gemming wisely and ensuring everything you have has some beneficial enchant will easily give you several hundred more hps. I find executioner giving more threat over mongoose, but until you beef up a bit the latter may be better, or even crusader if cash will be an issue just for some grunt. The basic kit seems fine, couple of better items than what I started with, just needs 'enhanced' to something near it's potential. Then expect it to have a short shelf life until you get the drops you want.
    Former TBC/LK Tank
    Waiting for Dunmail Jnr to sleep to enable online gaming.

First there is no reason not to have all of your gear enchanted especially if you are the main tank.

1. Just say no to Crest of Sha'Tar and the Ogrila shield. Get 15k honor and buy the S1 shield. More armor, block and stamina at the expense of a little avoidance. More armor and health are good things. 18 stam enchant on your shield when you get it.

2. Cloak of Eternity tailor crafted.

3. Get a head enchant. KOT revered or at least 10 stam kit.

4. 150 health enchant to chest.

5. Wrist enchant. 12 def or stam.

6. Clefthide leg kit. Timewarden's pants are a marginal upgrade and maybe not even that. Technically the felsteel legs are rated higher tank point-wise.

7. 15 agil enchant on weapon until you get a better one.

Re-gem with rare gems. That will allow you to swap out some of those defense gems for more stam due to the extra points.

I see at least 750 health you are missing.

Two gear guides on this site can help you with these questions.

http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/gea...gear-list.html

http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/gea...wow-2-4-a.html

Your talent spec is very flawed.

1. Unbridled wrath is not good. Consider not going more than 7 points in Fury to get 2/5 demo shout. Maybe only 5/5 cruelty.

2. No reason not to max anticipation, imp sunder armor, one-handed specialization, focused rage and vitality. They are core tanking talents. No 41-pt spec without them maxed.

3. Drop imp revenge unless you are doing heroics.

4. Imp shield wall is so-so. 2 talents points that last 5 secs every 30 minutes?

5. Imp defensive stance is so so.

6. Imp shield bash is handy in heroics. Otherwise ditch it.

7. Consider putting 11 or 12 points in Arms to get Anger Management. If you do, then put other points in Imp HS (2/3 or 3/3).

Not trying to be harsh but I recommend that you read some of the well-written guides on this site about tanking and specing. Especially the one below. For example, it will help you with why one-handed specialization is important. Personally, I've read it three times since I've drapped myself in badge tanking gear so I continue to improve my tanking.

http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/tan...nce-guide.html
    Last edited by jlafleur; 03-03-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Ok, so thanks for all the suggestions. There are some good tips out there. In reply to some of your questions. In kara, the main two problems I have ran into are oom healers and lack of organization in getting guildies to be committed to running. I have been selected MT for kara and the OT switches depending on who is signed up, either a druid or an arms warrior that respecs. In response to what heroics that I do, I have done Ramps, Slave Pens, and Mech and I have attempted Blood Furnace. Unless I have a really good healer or a lot of CC, things usually don't end well. In fact I will refuse to run with a tree form druid because their HOTs dont cut it for me. I usually try to get in H-mech a couple times a week, wishing for the suneater. I have 30 badges at the moment and was considering buying the shield for 33 badges, I didn't see anyone recommend it, is there a reason why not? As for enchanting my gear, Ive always been afraid to do it because Ive always outgrew the gear too quick for it to be worthwhile. I do have an enchanting friend that can hook me up though. Thanks for all the help, gtg now, school

Don't get the badge shield, for two reasons:
    1) There are three easy-to-obtain shields that require no badges: Sha'tar exalted, ogri'la exalted, S1/2/3 PvP shield.
    2) You should spend badges on items that there are no replacements for. The bracer is the cheapest. After that, either go for autoblocker (41), belt (60) or legs (75).

If your healers are running OOM, it could be one of three things: your healers have bad gear (or are overhealing too much, which means they need to learn how to cancel a heal), your DPS has bad gear (or aren't working to their full potential), or your threat is too low (which slows down the DPS).

If you have a threat meter (and your DPS has one too), you can tell easy enough if it's your fault or someone elses. If your DPS's threat is close to yours at the end of a fight, you could stand to get some more threat. If not, then it's not your fault.

Other than that, respec to get yourself a MT spec, and fix your gems/enchants. After you have done that, there's not much more you can do to help the raid.

First and most importantly, the badge shield isn't good when compared with S1 shield which you can easily obtain with honor (LOOK AT BERGS GEAR GUIDE! - more armor, stam and block means a higher tank point rating!). Second, there is better gear not easily obtainable which you should spend your badges on as in the bracers, the neck, the cloak and the trinket. None of those items are recieving badge upgrades in 2.4 and are better than what you will get in kara.

There is a new belt, chest, legs and ring in 2.4 so look at them and consider waiting before you spend those badges on those slots. Those show up in Berg's gear guide as well.

Ok, awesome help guys, I got some feedback from my guild and they said I was awesome during the kara runs, it was other people that caused our demise. From what I can tell, the only people that out threat me are either over geared casters or my stupid elemental shaman friend that thinks its funny to out threat me in heroics, making my job harder. I'm a long shot off either the Sha'tar or Ogrilla shield in terms of rep, I might consider getting the S1 shield, but I hate getting PvP gear, their like welfare epics. As for respecing, its all very confusing and I'm comfortable the way it is right now. I'm sure its flawed, but I'm slowly working on my own build that maximizes the way I play. Thanks for all the help, it can get really depressing at times, being a warrior tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Brydagr8 View Post
    Ok, awesome help guys, I got some feedback from my guild and they said I was awesome during the kara runs, it was other people that caused our demise. From what I can tell, the only people that out threat me are either over geared casters or my stupid elemental shaman friend that thinks its funny to out threat me in heroics, making my job harder. I'm a long shot off either the Sha'tar or Ogrilla shield in terms of rep, I might consider getting the S1 shield, but I hate getting PvP gear, their like welfare epics. As for respecing, its all very confusing and I'm comfortable the way it is right now. I'm sure its flawed, but I'm slowly working on my own build that maximizes the way I play. Thanks for all the help, it can get really depressing at times, being a warrior tank.

1. Let shaman die.
    2. Let shaman die again.
    3. Do not lose a moment's sleep about shaman.
    4. Read this guide already! : http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/tan...nce-guide.html

+ Reply to Thread